Increasing cost of travel and its effect on Fremantle and West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

The US can do it because wages blow AFL out of the water.

NBA minimum salary is 1.1 million with the average being 10 million.

Pay me a million a year and I’ll live anywhere you tell me.

AFL players get paid okay compared to average Australians, but compared to professional leagues overseas it’s laughable.

Yeah that explains why Brisbane were good at retaining their core from 1999-2004,

Sure they lost Des Headland in 2002 but filled his spot with Blake Caracella.
It was to do with having a chance at a premiership. Players want to come here now and they get nothing extra.

Just make it a one off relocation allowance across all clubs for players/coaches that have to move interstate. Say 10k per person or something. That more than pays for moving and setting up in a new place.

You pay rent on where you wanna live, if you're frugal you live in a cheaper suburb, if you wanna live in a nice suburb you pay more and save less. Like the rest of the world does.

I think an increased soft cap would most benefit the WA teams. Attracting quality non entry-level assistant coaches is a real challenge.

A bit of extra coin for the players would help as well. People don’t seem to care or understand that we need to pay our elite interstate talent a premium and just point to ‘culture problems’ when mid range players get offered unders and move for more coin.

I think an increased soft cap would most benefit the WA teams. Attracting quality non entry-level assistant coaches is a real challenge.

A bit of extra coin for the players would help as well. People don’t seem to care or understand that we need to pay our elite interstate talent a premium and just point to ‘culture problems’ when mid range players get offered unders and move for more coin.

Soft cap I think everyone except the AFL agrees it should increase.

So all the players who leave Freo have just left for more money? Even though the cost of living in Perth is lower. How many players have left the Eagles?

Soft cap I think everyone except the AFL agrees it should increase.

So all the players who leave Freo have just left for more money? Even though the cost of living in Perth is lower. How many players have left the Eagles?
Not all the players but most of the ones managed by one particular agent definitely let them know they’d be worth more elsewhere.

West Coast is an interesting one. Their list was contending from 2015 - 2019 and then most of their list were settled with families over here. Will be interesting to see if their player retention rate continues with a younger list that is not contending.

Not all the players but most of the ones managed by one particular agent definitely let them know they’d be worth more elsewhere.

West Coast is an interesting one. Their list was contending from 2015 - 2019 and then most of their list were settled with family over here. Will be interesting to see if their player retention rate continues with a younger list that is not contending.

That's a Freo problem with that agent though. All clubs are under the same cap, how they spend it (for example on broken down midfielders and tying a heap of cap in the ruck position) is up to each club.

That's a Freo problem with that agent though. All clubs are under the same cap, how they spend it (for example on broken down midfielders and tying a heap of cap in the ruck position) is up to each club.
I believe that agent is exploiting the problem but I’m not going to argue about it. My main point was around assistant coaches and the soft cap anyway.

Agreed, who wants to travel every second week.. when you can make the same coin living and working in the east with minimal travel?

Agreed, who wants to travel every second week.. when you can make the same coin living and working in the east with minimal travel?
You could see how exhausted Freo were today. I don’t understand why they had a 5.5 day break before flying to Melbourne (and experiencing a three hour time differences), then flew back to WA for a 6 week break. I can’t imagine any Vic club wanting to go through that regularly. No Vic club has had to deal with flying West this season (so far) with a huge adjustment in time zones. They will be back to normal AEST by the time they have to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back