India v Australia 5 T20s for the IDGAF Trophy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tim David
Cam Green
Aaron Hardie
Beau Webster

The only one that suits 7 in that list is David. Rest are top order bats. Green has had success in the IPL batting at number 3. I'd consider Ollie Davies massively for that no7 role.

I doubt we would have made it out of the group stage in 2003 with a loss but most likely would have still finished 3rd without the Maxwell heroics. Would have been a blow to the confidence though.
Zimbabwe made it out of our group with 2 wins and an NR in 2003.

If we lost to Pakistan we still probably top our group.

On face value we still finish our respective groups in the same position with a loss in those games, but a loss in either Pakistan 2003 (first game of the cup) or to Afghanistan 2023 (putting on a potentially tricky run home) can set us on a different path - confidence, form etc.

A strong argument that our 2023 team probably needed the psychological boost from winning in such a bad position, moreso than our 2003 team needed to kickstart their campaign with a win.

That 2003 team was so good - a little wobble in the first game would have been long forgotten by the time the knock outs came around. I think the 2023 carried that Maxwell innings in their heads right to the end (also due to the fact it was later in the cup and fresher in the mind).

I'd also argue we could have still won that Pakistan game if Symonds gets a decent but forgettable fifty, rather than an all time great 140-odd. Obviously we'd have been a long way behind, but still in with something of a chance. Brad Hogg and Brett Lee could've eeked out enough runs to get to 220 or 230...

But when Maxwell came to the crease we needed a minimum 150 from him to win and as it turned out that figure was really 200.

Both in the top ten ODI innings ever for mine.

Last edited:
Zimbabwe made it out of our group with 2 wins and an NR in 2003.

If we lost to Pakistan we still probably top our group.

But a loss in either Pakistan 2003 (first game of the cup) or to Afghanistan 2023 (putting on a potentially tricky run home) can set us on a different path - confidence, form etc.

A string argument that our 2023 team probably needed the psychological boost from winning in such a bad position, moreso than our 2003 team needed to kickstart their campaign with a win.

I'd also argue we could have still won that Pakistan game if Symonds gets a decent but forgettable fifty, rather than an all time great 140-odd. Obviously we'd have been a long way behind, but still in with something of a chance. Brad Hogg and Brett Lee could've eeked out enough runs to get to 220 or 230...

But when Maxwell came to the crease we needed a minimum 150 from him to win and as it turned out that figure was really 200.
This was essentially what I was trying to say but you've written it much more eloquently. Thank you.

This was essentially what I was trying to say but you've written it much more eloquently. Thank you.
One thing would say the Pakistan attack Symonds faced is much stronger than the Afghanistan attacks Maxwell faced.

Waqar and Wasim were past their best but still great bowlers. Shoaib was around his peak then and Abdul Razzaq was a great ODI bowler.

Afghanistan's spinners are extremely underated, especially in subcontinent conditional, but they still don't come close to the Pakistan group.

Happy with those but I was thinking Agar due to the reportedly slow wickets of the USA

Hopefully the next WC we aren’t relying on Agar. I’d look at a bat who bowls a few spinners. Don’t mind the Beau Webster shout. Bowls both

Beau Webster's form is undeniable but I feel he'd be a cricketer who is found out at international level. Happy to gim him a go at some stage for reward but I wouldn't be putting him in future or WC XIs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

India v Australia 5 T20s for the IDGAF Trophy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back