Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't booed because it was racist!
He was booed because he's a flog.

Jesus Christ.

This is the equivalent of Essendon fans saying "we don't know what they took but we know it wasn't banned"

Note to anyone who says "he wasn't booed for reason A, he was booed for reason B" - stop being stupid.
This goes to both sides of the argument by the way.
Just because you and your mates and everyone you speak to in your little thought bubble world where everyone agrees with each other have all decided the reason something happened - does not mean that is the reason. You are suffering from small world/small mind syndrome.

Here's a different way to look at it:
- Goodes was booed to an extreme level.
- Goodes did not do anything that was extreme in the broader context of footy/society.
- When it was pointed out that Goodes was suffering from this, considering walking away from the game etc thousands of ******* idiots DID IT MORE.

Take a look at yourself. You cut a guy to shreds. You kept going. When hawk players wanted to show a bit of support you shot it it down. You kept going. When someone thought the whole series of events was so terrible they made a documentary about it. Most haven't seen it - but you're still going. He's out of the game and you're still jumping at every chance you have to shoot the guy down and say he's crap.

What is wrong with you?
Racism is what is wrong

'dredge up past elements'
Why are you minimising it?
Fans threatening to tear up their membership because the hawthorn players are supporting goods is a bit more than a little bit of dredging up. That's a bunch of people saying they won't stand for Goodes getting any support from his peers. They won't cop it.

This translates to:
If {the think he claims is true} then {he would deal with it in the only way I find acceptable} else {the thing isn't true}

That's s**tty logic. It's dumb.

Tom Boyd gave it away, then tried to come back, then gave it away
Adam Goodes gave it away, tried to come back, DID come back, then gave it away.

This is possibly the worst analogy I've ever seen on BigFooty. You're basically saying that you've set a standard of mental health and that it can only present in one way. (Which funnily enough is remarkably similar to what Goodes actually did).

I just find it disgusting and stupid how many people will go out of their way to tear Adam Goodes down. He's already torn down. He's already left the game. He's not asking people to make documentaries about himself.

Don't like him? Fine. You don't have to.
Cutting him down every time his name is mentioned the way people are in this thread is a little bit more than 'dredging up past elements', especially when the basis of those 'past elements' according to the defensive types in this thread are that he acted like a flog.

Flipping out like people have when some players get behind him? I hope those dickheads burn their memberships. Why would you want such idiotic people as members of your club.

Geezus - Jarman Impey even had to come out and tell everyone to take a breath and watch the doco before making a judgement. The mere MENTION of the documentary is enough for people to come out slagging Goodes again.

Why are these arse holes so triggered by the name Adam Goodes? Why does it hit such a nerve?
Please give me something a little more adult than "we don't want to be told what to do" (so we're happy to do everything we can to destroy a bloke and shut down any public support he gets even if it doesn't affect us directly).
Mate, you’re talking to a bunch of footy fans online and also those in the majority that go to football games. They’re not smart, not educated, ignorant, drink too much, have limited views on anything other than football, news to them is ‘on the couch’, and are threatened by most things not white.

I never said anything against Goodes having an opinion, but he didn't need to charge the Carlton supporters and i watched a number of Goodes games and there were times when he would look at the umpire for a free kick instead of focusing on winning the ball.
Are supporters so thick and reactive that they need to get charged by something like that?

Mate, you’re talking to a bunch of footy fans online and also those in the majority that go to football games. They’re not smart, not educated, ignorant, drink too much, have limited views on anything other than football, news to them is ‘on the couch’, and are threatened by most things not white.
Stop watching A Current Affair, mate. Next you'll say soccer supporters are terrorists because a stadium in the Middle East was bombed/set alight/destroyed.

Whats wrong with that statement ?

You don't think any of the booing (not all, as the statement doesn't say that) was racially motivated ?
Do you think its a coincidence that the unprecedented campaign to boo Goodes just happened to coincide with a lot of his political statements ?

For what its worth, I expect the documentary will address the "we boo Goodes because he's a dirty player" argument. There was a lot of misinformation throughout this whole thing (people misinterpreting his Australia Day speech, and his words towards the Collingwood supporter).

I said it before and Ill sayit again. There was what happened and then there was the media triggerfest, which resolved nothing. Any documentary or the like which does not acknowledge the far greater damage caused by social and professional media is only a small part of the story

Whats wrong with that statement ?

You don't think any of the booing (not all, as the statement doesn't say that) was racially motivated ?
Do you think its a coincidence that the unprecedented campaign to boo Goodes just happened to coincide with a lot of his political statements ?

For what its worth, I expect the documentary will address the "we boo Goodes because he's a dirty player" argument. There was a lot of misinformation throughout this whole thing (people misinterpreting his Australia Day speech, and his words towards the Collingwood supporter).
A lot of football fans despise politics.

I never heard this before.

When a 13-year-old girl on the boundary fence called Goodes an "ape", he stopped, removed his mouthguard and told the security guard: "Mate, I don't want her here. Get her out of here."

...... He reveals he has been approached to talk at the girl's school, but has rejected the request.

"No, I haven't spoken to the girl this year," Goodes says. "I don't think too many people would be surprised by that. My role isn't to make sure they're okay. They have contacted me. It's my choice. They've gotten responses, but nothing directly from me. There was an opportunity to go to her school to do some stuff, but the timing didn't work out and I was like, 'Do I want to do that?' It was just something I didn't want to do to be honest. There's been stuff for me and Eddie, too, but nothing to the point where I want to catch up."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was racial but the booing wasnt
So you keep saying. Citation please.

Australia has a deeply racist history. One of the very first acts of the first Australian Parliament, the White Australia Policy, was a piece of racist legislation.

Indigenous Australians were not permitted to vote in their own country till 1967. That is racist.

Indigenous Australian children were taken away from their parents, never to see them again, for no other reason than that they were indigenous. That is racist, and it is not even ancient history. Adam Goodes' mother was one.

Until Mabo, land title in Australia was based on the lie of Terra Nullius. That is racist.

To anyone with a functioning brain, it is clear that Australian history is utterly shot through with racism.

Yet when an outspoken indigenous sporting star is booed, none of it is racism. None of it. It's anything but racism apparently.

No, not racism. No, how could it be? No, we're not racist! Us? Nah. I mean, just look at how unracisty we are. Apart from the White Australia Policy, and Aboriginals not being allowed to vote, and the Stolen Generation, and Terra Nullius, how exactly are we racists? How could we be racists? Impossible.

So you keep saying. Citation please.

Australia has a deeply racist history. One of the very first acts of the first Australian Parliament, the White Australia Policy, was a piece of racist legislation.

Indigenous Australians were not permitted to vote in their own country till 1967. That is racist.

Indigenous Australian children were taken away from their parents, never to see them again, for no other reason than that they were indigenous. That is racist, and it is not even ancient history. Adam Goodes' mother was one.

Until Mabo, land title in Australia was based on the lie of Terra Nullius. That is racist.

To anyone with a functioning brain, it is clear that Australian history is utterly shot through with racism.

Yet when an outspoken indigenous sporting star is booed, none of it is racism. None of it. It's anything but racism apparently.

No, not racism. No, how could it be? No, we're not racist! Us? Nah. I mean, just look at how unracisty we are. Apart from the White Australia Policy, and Aboriginals not being allowed to vote, and the Stolen Generation, and Terra Nullius, how exactly are we racists? How could we be racists? Impossible.
What other players were booed historically in afl? What do they and Goodes have in common?

When is the film airing on tv btw?

I never heard this before.

That's very much a figjam attitude to have. It's a kid and she made a mistake. Kicking her out would do nothing but embarrass her

'dredge up past elements'
Why are you minimising it?
Fans threatening to tear up their membership because the hawthorn players are supporting goods is a bit more than a little bit of dredging up. That's a bunch of people saying they won't stand for Goodes getting any support from his peers. They won't cop it.

This translates to:
If {the think he claims is true} then {he would deal with it in the only way I find acceptable} else {the thing isn't true}

That's s**tty logic. It's dumb.

Tom Boyd gave it away, then tried to come back, then gave it away
Adam Goodes gave it away, tried to come back, DID come back, then gave it away.

This is possibly the worst analogy I've ever seen on BigFooty. You're basically saying that you've set a standard of mental health and that it can only present in one way. (Which funnily enough is remarkably similar to what Goodes actually did).

I just find it disgusting and stupid how many people will go out of their way to tear Adam Goodes down. He's already torn down. He's already left the game. He's not asking people to make documentaries about himself.

Don't like him? Fine. You don't have to.
Cutting him down every time his name is mentioned the way people are in this thread is a little bit more than 'dredging up past elements', especially when the basis of those 'past elements' according to the defensive types in this thread are that he acted like a flog.

Flipping out like people have when some players get behind him? I hope those dickheads burn their memberships. Why would you want such idiotic people as members of your club.

Geezus - Jarman Impey even had to come out and tell everyone to take a breath and watch the doco before making a judgement. The mere MENTION of the documentary is enough for people to come out slagging Goodes again.

Why are these arse holes so triggered by the name Adam Goodes? Why does it hit such a nerve?
Please give me something a little more adult than "we don't want to be told what to do" (so we're happy to do everything we can to destroy a bloke and shut down any public support he gets even if it doesn't affect us directly).
What a great post.

What other players were booed historically in afl? What do they and Goodes have in common?

When is the film airing on tv btw?
1. Sorry I have no idea what you're asking. You seriously want me to itemise every case of booing in every game of AFL ever played? Even if that were possible it would take a very long time.

2. July 18th. Ten Network.

1. Sorry I have no idea what you're asking. You seriously want me to itemise every case of booing in every game of AFL ever played? Even if that were possible it would take a very long time.

2. July 18th. Ten Network.
Players that were booed over multiple games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back