Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All fair points and a good post. I believe whats causing so much angst in this issue is the inane commentary over it that is being reinforced by some in this thread. Too many people are black and white and dont believe in shades of grey. Shes a racist so deserves everything coming her way or he called her out so he doesnt deserve any sympathy or rights to stand up for his people.

Just one thing I want to add - I find it strange that people are arguing Goodes showed compassion and empathy for the young girl the next day(which I dont deny), yet most of those same posters show absolutely zero empathy for the child themselves. Fascinating stuff
I don't support anyone going after the kid. I've got kids of a similar age and they say all sorts of stupid stuff without realising the consequences. It's very possible she had no idea it was even racist.

In the same breath I'd understand why Goodes would take it to be racist and he reacted instinctively.

Goodes is a dog, no one liked him. Specific teams supporters booed him for dog acts, then they got told not to so everyone started doing it. Its so simple. CARLTON was bottom of the ladder, we played them at the scg, they were up by 50 points and he kicks a goal and runs at the crowd doing a dance and throwing an imaginary spear. He was booed that night for a campaigner act. Seriously.

If crowds are racist, why dont they boo the aboriginal in Sydney making millions of dollars a year and banging a WHITE supermodel?

I'll tell you why, because they aren't ******* racist

Why is the spear thing a dog act?

and also

AHAHAHAHAHA

Why is the spear thing a dog act?

and also

AHAHAHAHAHA
Man, having an imaginary spear thrown at you is the kind of harrowing experience many just never come through the other end.

Goodes is a dog, no one liked him. Specific teams supporters booed him for dog acts, then they got told not to so everyone started doing it. Its so simple. CARLTON was bottom of the ladder, we played them at the scg, they were up by 50 points and he kicks a goal and runs at the crowd doing a dance and throwing an imaginary spear. He was booed that night for a campaigner act. Seriously.

If crowds are racist, why dont they boo the aboriginal in Sydney making millions of dollars a year and banging a WHITE supermodel?

If the Aboriginal in Sydney spoke out against the white australia policy, stolen generation and their feelings about Australia Day you can bet your life that he'd get booed.

By the way, he already does get booed on the odd occasion, because he's a great. Luckily he hasn't been chased out of the game though.

Here's a comparison for you to ponder, with thanks to Leather Poisoning.

Let's think about how Wayne Carey gets treated:

Let's look at what Wayne did:
- Screwed his mate's missus in the bathroom and ruined North
- Went to Adelaide a broken down mess, cost them some serious draft picks
- Glassing women
- sexual assault of a stranger at a nightclub
- Cocaine mess

How does he get treated? Surely he gets banished from the game, name is mud and never to be heard from again. No?
- Hall of fame
- Heads up commentary on Channel 7
- Newspaper column
- Constantly fawned over by colleagues and on-air mates.

Let's look at what Adam Goodes did:
- Played for free kicks
- Slid in, caused injury to some players
- Pointed out a teenage girl that called him an ape
- Threw an imaginary spear at the crowd.

How does he get treated? Surely like all the other diving snipers like Lloyd, etc? no?
- Booed every time he goes near the footy
- When he stepped out of the game fans were still criticising him for having a huge ego and 'making it all about him'.
- When someone makes a documentary about it all he gets accused of being incapable of staying out of the spotlight.
- When hawk PLAYERS choose to support him fans go apeshit, many of them on Facebook threatening to destroy memberships and complain to the club
- AFL issues an official apology for not doing enough during this time.

The contrast is absolutely staggering.
Absolute ****in ********. Call it racism, call it something else - but have a look at how Goodes is treated - mostly by the fans. Absolutely disgraceful.

I raised the fact that Sydney fans (whilst being outraged at Goodes' booing) would routinely boo and hurl abuse at Lindsay Thomas.

The responses:

1. Goodes was boo'd more (I agree)

2. LT was dirty/a stager and thus deserved it and therefore it was non racist to boo/abuse him.

Do the Sydney fans realise that they are basically word-for-word parroting the comments that many Goodes boo'ers run with?

I think there was a racial element to the booing in both cases. Therefore, it has to be wrong in both cases.

Crikey. I know the blues have been out in the wilderness for a long time but where is your funnybone? Did you think he had a real spear in his hands or something? He did a dance- lol-throw the book at him.

Man, having an imaginary spear thrown at you is the kind of harrowing experience many just never come through the other end.
Yeah, you never know, those treacherous natives.

I mean, he might have had a lethal extendo-spear hidden down his shorts.

I wouldn’t put anything past those bounders.

Crikey. I know the blues have been out in the wilderness for a long time but where is your funnybone? Did you think he had a real spear in his hands or something? He did a dance- lol-throw the book at him.

We booed the flog and that's the end of it. Doesn't make me or anyone else racist

Goodes is a dog, no one liked him.
Actually, you couldn’t be more wrong. He is loved and admired by hundreds of thousands of Australians.

So that’s an example of how far up your own fundament is the place that your opinions are emanating from.

If you can’t even get that right, probably time you emerged blinking into the daylight and had a look around the real world.

Actually, you couldn’t be more wrong. He is loved and admired by hundreds of thousands of Australians.

So that’s an example of how far up your own fundament is the place that your opinions are emanating from.

If you can’t even get that right, probably time you emerged blinking into the daylight and had a look around the real world.

Maybe you're right!!! We all loved him but booed him because we are racist!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I guess if that had been the end of the story it might have been understandable -but it didn’t end there did it?
And in fact you still sound mad as hell about it all, and yet it’s years back now! Let it go.

I found it distasteful at the time because it deflects from real instances of racism and gives certain groups ammunition to minimise racial discrimination

It's not a big deal, he carried on like a flog, and we booed him. End of story
Good to know.

You personally spoke to every one of the tens of thousands of fans who booed him?

I’d just like to make quite sure there’s no chance there was any racial element to the booing before we all agree it was just a huge misunderstanding and move on.

I had the brilliant idea of marketing imaginary shields (in club colours) for those that were scared. Would have made a fortune.

I know this is hard you pea brain, but i will break it down so you can hopefully understand it.

1. Goodes was booed, at the footy, for footy related sniping and flog behaviour, the other ****heads did **** outside the cooty club, he was booed on the field of play AND the AFL told fans not to do it.

2. Waving an imaginary spear at bottom of the ladder Carlton when you have just kicked a goal to go 40 points up is akin to pulling the wings off an insect after you have swatted it. Flog behaviour. I don't celebrate like a ****head when I just kicked an unimportant goal and we are up against duds by 50 points.

Anything else???

1. Goodes wasn’t booed consistently until after the incidents in the two indigenous matches, when he became outspoken about racism and indigenous issues

I’d argue that most of the booing came from flogs who booed precisely because people were telling them not to, in a ‘don’t tell me what to do’ way. Even after they were told that it was being perceived as racist they continued, because their right to boo was more important to them than listening to indigenous people... which is half the trouble

2. He did a war dance prepared for him by a group of indigenous youths that involved pretending to throw a boomerang, after kicking a goal during the indigenous round. Yes, it was unfortunate that his moment came late in the game against the bottom team, but most people were able to see it for what it was.

You might not celebrate when you are 40 points ahead, but you aren’t an indigenous man playing professional sport playing in a round supposed to celebrate indigenous culture.

Once again though, it’s the refusal to listen than irks most. People in this country quite actively shut their eyes and ears to the issue facing indigenous people and act all indignant when anything shatters that protective cocoon.

I know this is hard you pea brain, but i will break it down so you can hopefully understand it.

1. Goodes was booed, at the footy, for footy related sniping and flog behaviour, the other ****heads did **** outside the cooty club, he was booed on the field of play AND the AFL told fans not to do it.

2. Waving an imaginary spear at bottom of the ladder Carlton when you have just kicked a goal to go 40 points up is akin to pulling the wings off an insect after you have swatted it. Flog behaviour. I don't celebrate like a ****head when I just kicked an unimportant goal and we are up against duds by 50 points.

Anything else???
You’ve spoken to everyone who booed and asked them why they did so, did you?

I’ll give you the hot tip, there were plenty of people booing him because they didn’t like the outspoken Aboriginal, and I know this because they said as much in threads like this at the time of the booing.

You can claim that you booed him because you thought he was a flog, but don’t try and pretend like race had nothing to do with the booing when it clearly did.

He wasn't booed because it was racist!
He was booed because he's a flog.

Jesus Christ.

This is the equivalent of Essendon fans saying "we don't know what they took but we know it wasn't banned"

Note to anyone who says "he wasn't booed for reason A, he was booed for reason B" - stop being stupid.
This goes to both sides of the argument by the way.
Just because you and your mates and everyone you speak to in your little thought bubble world where everyone agrees with each other have all decided the reason something happened - does not mean that is the reason. You are suffering from small world/small mind syndrome.

Here's a different way to look at it:
- Goodes was booed to an extreme level.
- Goodes did not do anything that was extreme in the broader context of footy/society.
- When it was pointed out that Goodes was suffering from this, considering walking away from the game etc thousands of ******* idiots DID IT MORE.

Take a look at yourself. You cut a guy to shreds. You kept going. When hawk players wanted to show a bit of support you shot it it down. You kept going. When someone thought the whole series of events was so terrible they made a documentary about it. Most haven't seen it - but you're still going. He's out of the game and you're still jumping at every chance you have to shoot the guy down and say he's crap.

What is wrong with you?

Didn't your parents ever tell you that you can't let the other kids know it upsets you when they tease you, or they'll just keep doing it?

I'm sure some of the people booing were racist, but tens of thousands of people? I find that hard to believe. Tens of thousands of trolls? That, I believe.

The man was beloved for most of his career, it wasn't until he made it all about himself at the end that he got booed.

I don't think anybody here is defending those who clearly are racist, but it's unfair to lump everybody else in with that minority.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there's an enormous amount of closet racists out there, but I sincerely doubt it.

Anyway, I hope this saga is forgotten about sooner rather than later, and we can just remember him as the brilliant footballer that he was.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The man was beloved for most of his career, it wasn't until he made it all about himself at the end that he got booed.
What did he make all about himself and how?

I don't think anybody here is defending those who clearly are racist, but it's unfair to lump everybody else in with that minority.
We're literally thousands of posts in of people coming up with every excuse under the sun and saying no one who booed him was racist. What's more, its completely fair to lump those who just thought it was fun to mass bully a man with the racists. As has been mentioned a few times in the thread, if you're aware that even a small number of people are taking part in a type of behaviour and you continue to do the same as them, it isn't up to others to work out that you're one of the noble booers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back