Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael O'Loughlin said the AFL's apology came too late.

"It wasn't quick enough... I think our governing body of this great game needed to react really quickly to support Adam in what he was going through."

11223966-3x2-700x467.jpg

Whenever I see Goodesy's Go Foundation mate, Mick O'Loughlin sticking his head up on this issue, it makes me want to spew up.

Imagine the nerve of this grub to lecture other people about right and wrong and talk about "supporting the victim".

Back in 2004, him and two other footballers paid $200,000 to a young Adelaide woman after allegedly raping her in a public park

TICKY FULLERTON: Jane has signed a confidentiality agreement, which gags her from talking about the night. However, Four Corners has obtained a taped interview, made in the presence of her lawyer in 2001 before the confidentiality agreement was signed. Again to protect her identity, we have revoiced her interview, word for word.
That night, the 20-year-old had had far too much to drink - eight or nine beers. At around midnight, she was introduced to Adam Heuskes.
(TAPED INTERVIEW PLAYS)
JANE: One of my friends went over there first. There was...they asked if they could talk to me, so I went over there and started talking to them, but...
MAN: The three of them?
JANE: Uh, first there was... I spoke to Adam Heuskes.
TICKY FULLERTON: By the time she was speaking to Peter Burgoyne, Jane was very drunk.
MAN: And it was then you started to black out?
JANE: Yep.
MAN: What happened after that?
JANE: Well, I felt... When I was standing there with Peter Burgoyne, then they started kissing me and stuff.
MAN: Peter Burgoyne did?
JANE: Yep, and then he called Michael O'Loughlin over. And then he started kissing me as well.
MAN: The two of them?
JANE: Er, yeah.
TICKY FULLERTON: At about 1:30am, Jane was feeling unwell. Peter Burgoyne offered to take her for a walk. She agreed.
JANE: So as far as I knew, it...it was a walk but he just grabbed my arm, and...sort of walking very briskly, so I was stumbling out behind him.
TICKY FULLERTON: Jane says Peter Burgoyne led her across the road and into the parkland.
JANE: And then they...they walked me, like, down deep into the parkland.
MAN: Peter Burgoyne did?
JANE: Yes, Peter Burgoyne took me out and the other two followed. I sort of thought, you know, "What are they doing?" and "Where are we going?"
TICKY FULLERTON: According to Jane, in an isolated spot, the two followers, Adam Heuskes and Michael O'Loughlin, caught up. She says her clothes were ripped off, her bag thrown away. She was forced to the ground, tossed around like a rag doll and raped.
MAN: Were you raped?
JANE: Yes.
TICKY FULLERTON: On the same tape, Jane's lawyer describes all three players being involved in sexual abuse.
MAN: You were absolutely positive it was Adam Heuskes, Peter Burgoyne and Michael O'Loughlin?
JANE: Yeah.
TICKY FULLERTON: Jane says she was raped by Adam Heuskes and Peter Burgoyne and that at one point, Heuskes and Michael O'Loughlin were masturbating close to her face.
JANE: I came to, then - and they did that - then blacked out again.
MAN: The three of them did that?
JANE: Um, I think it was just Heuskes and O'Loughlin - it was dark, yep - while Peter was doing other things.
TICKY FULLERTON: About 2:30am, Jane says she woke up, half-naked, dishevelled and alone in the park. Four Corners has been told Jane says she was a virgin before that night. Friends who missed Jane at the nightclub were shocked when they found her. They took her straight to the police. Two of the footballers, Adam Heuskes and Peter Burgoyne, were charged. Yet six weeks later, charges were dropped. The Director of Public Prosecutions, Paul Rofe, stated there was "no reasonable prospect of conviction on any criminal charge". He has reiterated that to Four Corners.

TICKY FULLERTON: What was your reaction when the case was dropped?
JANE'S COUSIN: Absolutely disgusted. Um...
TICKY FULLERTON: So the police thought they had a strong case?
JANE'S COUSIN: Absolutely. Very strong case, yes.
TICKY FULLERTON: Jane's two cousins refused to accept the decision. They went to see Paul Rofe in person.
JANE'S COUSIN: I strongly remember Paul Rofe saying that he believes 100% that she was raped.
TICKY FULLERTON: HE believed she was raped?
JANE'S COUSIN: He believed she was raped. The rape was premeditated for the other two boys to be following, um...but legally he couldn't take it any further because it boiled down to a case of what he said, she said, so there were no witnesses to the rape.

Last edited:
Michael O'Loughlin said the AFL's apology came too late.

"It wasn't quick enough... I think our governing body of this great game needed to react really quickly to support Adam in what he was going through."

11223966-3x2-700x467.jpg

Whenever I see Goodesy's Go Foundation mate, Mick O'Loughlin sticking his head up on this issue, it makes me want to spew up.

Imagine the nerve of this grub to lecture other people about right and wrong and talk about "supporting the victim".
Imagine the nerve of the grub dredging up an alleged sexual assault of a young woman in order to try to distract from a discussion about racist behaviour. Classy...

Last edited:
Was it even an apology? Seems like the AFL just want to wipe their hands clean of the booing saga. They always claim to be leading the way in regards equality. Anyone with half a brain knows all they care about is making money

It's generation snowflake..

You need to accept that everything you've achieved in your life is due to your white/male privilege and be outraged at the plight of everyone else which of course is solely the result of their colour/race/gender/some other identity attribute.

BTW personal responsibility and/or achievement are a thing of the past.

As an educated, caucasian, non religious minority, heterosexual, meat eating male, I am outraged at myself. I should be made to feel shame on a daily basis and am...

Imagine the nerve of the grub dredging up an alleged sexual assault of a young woman in order to try to distract from a discussion about racist behaviour. Classy...
The victim's cousin said the Director of Public Prosecutions, Paul Rofe told him he "believed 100% that she was raped"

$200,000 it cost them to settle her civil suit and buy her silence.

That should disqualify a person from ever publicly commenting on matters of morality.
Even a blinkered, one-eyed, Kool Aid-guzzling Swans fan should be able to acknowledge there is a credibility issue.

Last edited:
The victim's cousin said the Director of Public Prosecutions, Paul Rofe told him he "believed 100% that she was raped"

$200,000 it cost them to settle her civil suit and buy her silence.

That should disqualify a person from ever publicly commenting on matters of morality.
Even a blinkered, one-eyed, Kool Aid-guzzling Swans fan should be able to acknowledge there is a credibility issue.
First of all it has no bearing on the real discussion here and is just a cheap distraction.

Secondly just to try to shut you up: "The alleged victim signed a statement saying: "I want to make it absolutely clear I have no claim against Michael O'Loughlin."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perpetual victim is an accurate description of Adam Goodes.

He got booed because he was unliked, not indigenous . Thought we'd all established that by now. Plenty of other indigenous players getting around to applaudes and cheers even from opposition fans. Goodes never did anything good for the game imo.

He got booed by Hawthorn fans as much as anyone (due to an onfield incident), the same fans who cheered on numerous aboriginals in their own team and deified Buddy. To label all those Hawthorn fans racist is simply ridiculous.

He got booed by Hawthorn fans as much as anyone (due to an onfield incident), the same fans who cheered on numerous aboriginals in their own team and deified Buddy. To label all those Hawthorn fans racist is simply ridiculous.
So hawthorn fans can't possibly be racists because they cheer goals that guys like Buddy and Cyril kick?

Or does just having Aboriginal people on the team mean it's impossible to be racist? Is that why people are saying that it's impossible that the booing was racist - because every club has at least one Aboriginal player on its list?

Also - who said that all those hawthorn fans were racist?

On the mental health comment, I believe they attempted to use the mental health playbook to try and get sympathy (aka a get out of jail free card with the public) to no success. Wouldn't be the first or last "personality" to do so either!
I can see why he would expect the public to back off once mental health is highlighted as a concern.

Most decent people would think "hmmm, mental health issues. He could be lying, but if he isn't - going even harder at him could push him over the edge. I'll back off now".

Unfortunately there's an element of society that thinks "hmmm, mental health issues. He must be lying. Not only will I continue doing the thing that brought us to this point, I'm going to do even more of it".

I mean, how amazingly arrogant is it of you to decide that his mental health stuff is a lie?
Can you think of anything more arrogant?

You're not him. You actually can't know the truth here.

He might have been lying. But knowing that people actually kill themselves when mental health issues get too much - you would have to be a real low life to assume that someone is lying and for those who escalate at that point - well I just think that's the worst kind of human.

I really can't believe the justification I'm hearing for everything here.

"Goodes is a flog so I'm going to boo him. He appeals for free kicks a lot. Boo boo Look it's getting to him, I'm going to do it some more. He pointed at a girl in the crowd. Did a spear dance. More booing. Every time he gets the ball. Everyone is joining in, how exciting. The AFL told me not to boo, so I'm going to boo more. They're saying it's racist. Look, he's saying it is causing mental health issues. Must be lying. More booing. Oh look he's back - can't have been legitimate mental health. Time to back it up with more booing".

I mean the whole damn thing is just so damn childish.

And then when people get called out for booing. They latch onto the fact that "I'm not racist because we have Aboriginal players on our team". Totally ignoring the fact that if you're a half decent person you don't kick a man when he's down. People would rather argue about the semantics of what's racist and what isn't than to just stop being a crap human.

Can't believe how many people in this thread are happy to cut a guy down every chance they get, but if you dare suggest it's racist they flare up like they've been accused of murder.

the whole damn thing is just so damn childish.

...people get called out for booing
Exactly. People having fun at the football and booing the Sydney villain. Boos, for god's sake. Not abuse. No racist tirades. No anger or vitriol. Just your common garden variety boos which football fans do every f***in weekend... Kids were booing, mums and dads were booing... having a laugh... and people had to blow it up into a ginormous issue and label everyone who did it as racist and make out as though it was a vicious, venomous racist attack on Goodes.

Jubilant Hawks fans were busy celebrating a Grand Final thrashing of their hated rivals and good-naturedly booing Sydney's two superstars, Franklin and Goodes throughout the second half.

And I don't use the phrase "hated rivals" lightly either. After the AFL's beloved Swans beat Hawthorn in the 2012 GF and then made a mockery of the AFL's shiitty COLA rules to pinch Buddy from us, they rocketed to number 1 with a bullet on our "most hated" list. In that period, they were more hated than Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong.

The 2014 GF was the perfect occasion for Hawks fans to blow off steam. Absolute catharsis. I don't think I've ever experienced elation like that at the football. Fun times. Happy days. It was just a massive "Up yours Sydney!", "Up yours AFL!", "Up yours, Buddy!" and "Up yours, Goodes!"

I've been to many, many Grand Finals and these sorts of "up yours" boos are very common when it's a one-sided thrashing.

If the likes of Caroline Wilson, Patrick Smith, Robbo, Whateley and every other jerk in the media had just let it rest and not attacked the Hawthorn fans after the 2014 Grand Final and fanned the flames, I'm 99% certain things would've been very different in 2015. They are 100% culpable for the copycat "don't tell me not to boo" boos which followed.

The problem with many Swans fans and part-time AFL fans in Sydney is they are distanced from Melbourne's footy tribalism. The majority of them don't really get it. They have no real rivalry (apart from Hawthorn from 2012-2016). They're not used to diehard rival barrackers getting stuck in to their favourite players.

edit: Let me know if any of the above is covered in that docco. I strongly doubt it will be. I suspect they've edited the archival footage to suit their own preferred narrative.

Last edited:
Exactly. People having fun at the football and booing the Sydney villain. Boos, FFS. Not abuse. No racist tirades. No anger or vitriol. Just your common garden variety boos which football fans do every f***in weekend... and people had to blow it up into a ginormous issue and label everyone who did it as racist and make out as though it was vicious, venomous attack on Goodes.

Hawk fans were celebrating a grand Final thrashing of their hated rivals and good-naturedly booing Sydney's two superstars, Franklin and Goodes throughout the last quarter

And I don't use the word "hated" lightly. After the AFL's beloved Swans beat Hawthorn in the 2012 GF and then made a mockery of ther AFL's ****ty COLA rules to pinch Buddy from us, they rocketed to number 1 with a bullet on our "most hated" list. In that period, they were more hated than Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong.

If the likes of Caroline Wilson, Patrick Smith and every other jerk in the media had just let it rest and not attacked the Hawthorn fans after the 2014 Grand Final and fanned the flames, I'm 99% certain things would've been very different in 2015

The problem with many Swans fans and part-time AFL fans in Sydney is they are distanced from Melbourne's footy tribalism. The majority of them don't really get it. They're not used to diehard rival barrackers getting stuck in to their favourite players.
Booing is fine.
Calling someone an idiot is fine.
Getting angry at someone is fine.
Having a villain on the other team who you just don't like the look of is fine.

But do any of these things at one person significantly more than anyone else. Doing it relentlessly and not being smart enough to realise (or simply not giving a s**t ) when it's gone too far just isn't good enough.

There is a point with ANYTHING that crosses a line into being too much.

I went to school with a kid and we one day someone said "Happy birthday James". He said "it's not my birthday". Oh sorry. Someone overheard and said "Happy birthday James". It became a running joke. People all over the school would say happy birthday to this guy. It drove him crazy. He got in fights. The kids wouldn't stop. The teachers asked everyone to stop, that made them worse.
James ended up having some serious issues. Probably had an predisposition to mental health issues. He killed himself.

And there's nothing wrong with saying "happy birthday" to a guy as a joke, even when you know it's not his birthday. Even if he's a bit of a flog.

But doing it at scale and escalating when people are telling you it's going to far? I don't get that. Why would people do it? What kind of moron do you have to be?
It's not about intellectualising racism and taking the high moral ground. It's about living by the adage "Don't be a campaigner" and too many people decided to do the exact opposite.

I went to school with a kid and we one day someone said "Happy birthday James". He said "it's not my birthday". Oh sorry. Someone overheard and said "Happy birthday James". It became a running joke. People all over the school would say happy birthday to this guy. It drove him crazy. He got in fights. The kids wouldn't stop. The teachers asked everyone to stop, that made them worse.
James ended up having some serious issues. Probably had an predisposition to mental health issues. He killed himself.

And there's nothing wrong with saying "happy birthday" to a guy as a joke, even when you know it's not his birthday. Even if he's a bit of a flog.
Yep. If only James had not been so precious about it... If he'd taken himself less seriously and laughed it off, then the joke would've died a natural death and things may have turned out differently. But he was a flog. He reacted badly and made things worse for himself.

Goodes never did that. He mostly stayed quiet, but he had the media sensationalising things, demanding the boos stopped and inflaming the fans with their race-baiting.

Last edited:
Booing is fine.
Calling someone an idiot is fine.
Getting angry at someone is fine.
Having a villain on the other team who you just don't like the look of is fine.

But do any of these things at one person significantly more than anyone else. Doing it relentlessly and not being smart enough to realise (or simply not giving a **** ) when it's gone too far just isn't good enough.

There is a point with ANYTHING that crosses a line into being too much.

But doing it at scale and escalating when people are telling you it's going to far? I don't get that. Why would people do it? What kind of moron do you have to be?
It's not about intellectualising racism and taking the high moral ground. It's about living by the adage "Don't be a campaigner" and too many people decided to do the exact opposite.
Humans can be cruel. Goodes couldn't hack it. I doubt many people could. I dont think it was a case of racism though. Bullying maybe. But what any of us think means nothing. Same thing could happen to any player still because the AFL hasnt done anything to stamp out booing

Or maybe it's not a profit making exercise at all and your question is ridiculous?

What, so they're screening it for free?? And the second one, due for release in theatres on 22/8, that's free too? Cool. I won't waste my time with this piece of unadulterated propaganda though, as I'm sure the vast majority of Australia won't, even when it hits FTA on the struggling TEN Network.

Produced by Shark Island Productions BTW. Are you contending their sole reason for existence (and that of the organisations they team up with) is to merely burn up taxpayer funded Arts grants?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back