Play Nice Indigenous AFL players call out Adam Goodes's treatment ahead of The Final Quarter documentary release

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What, so they're screening it for free?? And the second one, due for release in theatres on 22/8, that's free too? Cool. I won't waste my time with this piece of unadulterated propaganda though, as I'm sure the vast majority of Australia won't, even when it hits FTA on the struggling TEN Network.

Produced by Shark Island Productions BTW. Are you contending their sole reason for existence (and that of the organisations they team up with) is to merely burn up taxpayer funded Arts grants?
If you're going to make documentaries to try and get rich you're in the wrong game.

You asked about box office like that's some some of deciding factor on the argument. It's not a superhero movie where revenue is the whole exercise. It's got bugger all to do with it.

Goodes said it wasn't her fault because of her age, he pretty much blamed her upbringing. Never accepted it wasn't meant to be racist.

Hang on so if someone says something that offends you because of your race, sexuality, disability etc it is incumbent on you to stop, ask how the person saying it meant it, why they said it and what they knew or didn’t know about that term?

It’s a sh@t term with sh@t connotations and a long history around the world of being used in a discriminatory context. That is enough. If you don’t know that you should stop

Here’s what the girl said afterwards: 'When I called him an ape, he explained what ape means for indigenous people and he said that he doesn't hate me and that I've got to learn from my mistakes,'' she said.

''I'm sorry for what I said - I didn't mean it in a racist way.

What a monster

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hang on so if someone says something that offends you because of your race, sexuality, disability etc it is incumbent on you to stop, ask how the person saying it meant it, why they said it and what they knew or didn’t know about that term?

It’s a sh@t term with sh@t connotations and a long history around the world of being used in a discriminatory context. That is enough. If you don’t know that you should stop

Here’s what the girl said afterwards: 'When I called him an ape, he explained what ape means for indigenous people and he said that he doesn't hate me and that I've got to learn from my mistakes,'' she said.

''I'm sorry for what I said - I didn't mean it in a racist way.

What a monster

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Extraordinarily silly stuff. I'm unsure if it's a parody or not.

That’s exactly what he did. I’d have thought the phrase “it’s not her fault” is pretty clear and unequivocal?
Wrong.

That's not "exactly what he did" at all. Not by a long chalk.

If he'd truly accepted her explanation, then he wouldn't have called a press conference and made that contrived soundbite about "last night racism had a face... and it was a little girl" and then gone on to say "it's not her fault... it's her environment that made her that way."

("She's not a racist, but...")

If he'd accepted her explanation, he would've thought to himself, "Ooops... She wasn't being racist. She called me an ape because i am big and hairy. Wow, I jumped to conclusions last night. I really got myself worked up about this Indigenous Round with the midweek interviews and posing like Nicky Winmar with my jumper lifted up."

He wouldn't have milked the moment and said it was the "face of racism". He might've said it was a misunderstanding over an ambiguous word which to him, has a racial connotation. Or just called the whole press conference off and said "no comment".

Last edited:
If you're going to make documentaries to try and get rich you're in the wrong game.

Tell that to Michael Moore who made Fahrenheit 9/11 ($125 million) and a truckload from several other documentaries, or Al Gore who made An Inconvenient Truth ($30 million).

You asked about box office like that's some some of deciding factor on the argument. It's not a superhero movie where revenue is the whole exercise. It's got bugger all to do with it.

If you're trying to change the world or people's opinions or at least make people think about your pet issue, bums on seat or eyes on screens is pretty important.

Exactly. People having fun at the football and booing the Sydney villain. Boos, for god's sake. Not abuse. No racist tirades. No anger or vitriol. Just your common garden variety boos which football fans do every f***in weekend... Kids were booing, mums and dads were booing... having a laugh... and people had to blow it up into a ginormous issue and label everyone who did it as racist and make out as though it was a vicious, venomous racist attack on Goodes.

Jubilant Hawks fans were busy celebrating a Grand Final thrashing of their hated rivals and good-naturedly booing Sydney's two superstars, Franklin and Goodes throughout the second half.

And I don't use the phrase "hated rivals" lightly either. After the AFL's beloved Swans beat Hawthorn in the 2012 GF and then made a mockery of the AFL's shiitty COLA rules to pinch Buddy from us, they rocketed to number 1 with a bullet on our "most hated" list. In that period, they were more hated than Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong.

The 2014 GF was the perfect occasion for Hawks fans to blow off steam. Absolute catharsis. I don't think I've ever experienced elation like that at the football. Fun times. Happy days. It was just a massive "Up yours Sydney!", "Up yours AFL!", "Up yours, Buddy!" and "Up yours, Goodes!"

I've been to many, many Grand Finals and these sorts of "up yours" boos are very common when it's a one-sided thrashing.

If the likes of Caroline Wilson, Patrick Smith, Robbo, Whateley and every other jerk in the media had just let it rest and not attacked the Hawthorn fans after the 2014 Grand Final and fanned the flames, I'm 99% certain things would've been very different in 2015. They are 100% culpable for the copycat "don't tell me not to boo" boos which followed.

The problem with many Swans fans and part-time AFL fans in Sydney is they are distanced from Melbourne's footy tribalism. The majority of them don't really get it. They have no real rivalry (apart from Hawthorn from 2012-2016). They're not used to diehard rival barrackers getting stuck in to their favourite players.

edit: Let me know if any of the above is covered in that docco. I strongly doubt it will be. I suspect they've edited the archival footage to suit their own preferred narrative.

If you didn’t boo Goodes because of the colour of his skin then you have clean conscious.

However if you’re worried about how you as a supporter would be represented in a documentary then maybe the conscious isnt so clean.

All good though the Hawks crowd attendances are so poor these days who cares if they boo or not.

Booing is something children do. Then some children grow up and some don’t. Each to their own.

Tell that to Michael Moore who made Fahrenheit 9/11 ($125 million) and a truckload from several other documentaries, or Al Gore who made An Inconvenient Truth ($30 million).

View attachment 700026

If you're trying to change the world or people's opinions or at least make people think about your pet issue, bums on seat or eyes on screens is pretty important.
So the exceptions are the rule now?

I agree that you want maximum exposure but what does the commercial success have to do with the validity of the argument one way or another? It's had limited release and it's about to go free to air.

Michael Moore and Al Gore may have made a tidy profit but that's not going to sway their opponents.

If you didn’t boo Goodes because of the colour of his skin then you have clean conscious.
However if you’re worried about how you as a supporter would be represented in a documentary then maybe the conscious isnt so clean.
All good though the Hawks crowd attendances are so poor these days who cares if they boo or not.
Booing is something children do. Then some children grow up and some don’t. Each to their own.
I've never booed anyone so my conscious is very clean. :):thumbsu:

I'm continually amazed at all the uptight wankas who get their panties in a bunch over the mindless mob having fun at the footy and booing the opposition villains

With Goodesy, it was mostly a mixture of (1) precious Swans fans who couldn't handle people booing their icon, (2) the cretins in the media who always put the boot into footy fans, stir the pot and sensationalise everything to make themselves heard above all the noise and (3) all the virtue-signalling, progressive types who gravitate to any outbreak of perceived racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia and basically try to elevate themselves above the common bogans and pat themselves on the back.

Last edited:
I agree that you want maximum exposure but what does the commercial success have to do with the validity of the argument one way or another? It's had limited release and it's about to go free to air.
The validity of what argument precisely? I asked what the box office was to see if I could determine how popular it had been thus far since box office is usually a reflection of that. You assumed everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The validity of what argument precisely? I asked what the box office was to see if I could determine how popular it had been thus far since box office is usually a reflection of that. You assumed everything else.

View attachment 700043
Your copy and paste skills are beyond compare.

"What's the box office figures for this drivel been like?"

That was your question. There wasn't any judgement statements in that?

I'm not the one who is sooking about people booing my favourite footballer

How infantile...

Did you tell mummy about all the bullies?
No, you blow up about people correcting your inaccurate rants and write in capitals to show how upset you are.

"What's the box office figures for this drivel been like?"

That was your question. There wasn't any judgement statements in that?

And here I was thinking you were hung up on me thinking it was a Marvel movie. Turns out now that your real objection was my subjective opinion and you are opposed to 'judgement statements'. Have you considered how ironic that is in light of how many 'judgement statements' you've made in this thread?

Warning - language.

And here I was thinking you were hung up on me thinking it was a Marvel movie. Turns out now that your real objection was my subjective opinion and you are opposed to 'judgement statements'. Have you considered how ironic that is in light of how many 'judgement statements' you've made in this thread?

Warning - language.

No you're not following.

My theory was that you wanted to point out low box office take as a way to discredit the film and I'd be right about that.

Have a nice evening.

[Ape] is a shiit term with shiit connotations and a long history around the world of being used in a discriminatory context.
That is enough. If you don’t know that you should stop
Did you know all that when you were 12 years old? I didn't know about that when I was 12 and I didn't have a sheltered upbringing. I'd heard all the usual slurs and more... I became aware of "ape" and "monkey" as a racial slur in my mid teens, probably after reading news reports of racist soccer fans in England and Europe making monkey noises and throwing bananas onto the pitch when an African player got the ball

After the Collingwood vs Sydney match in 2013, there were many people on Big Footy who said they had no idea that "ape" was a racial slur. It's not really used that much anymore, not here anyway. So if older teenagers and people in their early 20's weren't aware of it, then how can people be so quick to demonise a young girl for not knowing or infer that she "probably got it from her mum".

Why is it so difficult for people to accept her word she wasn't being racist and that she used the word "ape" as an innocent childish name-calling towards a big, hairy, muscly man?

Here’s what the girl said afterwards: 'When I called him an ape, he explained what ape means for indigenous people and he said that he doesn't hate me and that I've got to learn from my mistakes... I'm sorry for what I said... I didn't mean it in a racist way.

What a monster
She had just turned 13 f***in years old. A minor. Goodes thought she was 14 when he pointed her out to security and had her thrown out.

Questioned by police. Her name and photo splashed across the newspapers all weekend, the incident replayed over and over.

And Goodsey privately accepting her apology afterwards and hearing her explanation that she "didn't mean it in a racist way." Him sharing with her how much the name-calling hurt him and teaching her about the word's connotations and its long history of being used in a discriminatory context.

And then Goodes calling a press conference and telling the world, "Last night racism had a face... and it was a little girl" and going on to blame her environment.

All for the cameras.

What a hero

Exactly. People having fun at the football and booing the Sydney villain. Boos, for god's sake. Not abuse. No racist tirades. No anger or vitriol. Just your common garden variety boos which football fans do every f***in weekend... Kids were booing, mums and dads were booing... having a laugh... and people had to blow it up into a ginormous issue and label everyone who did it as racist and make out as though it was a vicious, venomous racist attack on Goodes.

Jubilant Hawks fans were busy celebrating a Grand Final thrashing of their hated rivals and good-naturedly booing Sydney's two superstars, Franklin and Goodes throughout the second half.

And I don't use the phrase "hated rivals" lightly either. After the AFL's beloved Swans beat Hawthorn in the 2012 GF and then made a mockery of the AFL's shiitty COLA rules to pinch Buddy from us, they rocketed to number 1 with a bullet on our "most hated" list. In that period, they were more hated than Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood and Geelong.

The 2014 GF was the perfect occasion for Hawks fans to blow off steam. Absolute catharsis. I don't think I've ever experienced elation like that at the football. Fun times. Happy days. It was just a massive "Up yours Sydney!", "Up yours AFL!", "Up yours, Buddy!" and "Up yours, Goodes!"

I've been to many, many Grand Finals and these sorts of "up yours" boos are very common when it's a one-sided thrashing.

If the likes of Caroline Wilson, Patrick Smith, Robbo, Whateley and every other jerk in the media had just let it rest and not attacked the Hawthorn fans after the 2014 Grand Final and fanned the flames, I'm 99% certain things would've been very different in 2015. They are 100% culpable for the copycat "don't tell me not to boo" boos which followed.

The problem with many Swans fans and part-time AFL fans in Sydney is they are distanced from Melbourne's footy tribalism. The majority of them don't really get it. They have no real rivalry (apart from Hawthorn from 2012-2016). They're not used to diehard rival barrackers getting stuck in to their favourite players.

edit: Let me know if any of the above is covered in that docco. I strongly doubt it will be. I suspect they've edited the archival footage to suit their own preferred narrative.
I get Sydney, I get Buddy, but why Goodes? Maybe think about it for more than a second.

Thrilling stuff. A real zinger... :rolleyes::thumbsu:
Mate, you responded to a situation about a kid getting bullied (and who didn't say anything other than "It's not my birthday" by blaming it on him for being precious. You've routinely melted down on bigfooty because people corrected your bullshit yet here you are puffing your chest out about people being precious.

Mate, you responded to a situation about a kid getting bullied (and who didn't say anything other than "It's not my birthday" by blaming it on him for being precious.
Yeah, that was a pisstake. Just amusing myself by flipping Leather Poisoning's heartfelt analogy

Maybe I should be more serious. What do you want me to say? Bullying is bad. Let's stop it. Let's all be kind and respectful to one another. Let's all come in for a group hug and share our stories and let the tears flow. Pfffffft. It's a bit of a joke really when you consider the way people interact online. e.g. Imagine being so intolerant of other people's opinions and labelling them as racist just because you don't see eye to eye on a thorny nuanced topic such as this. Imagine walking through life thinking that 50% of people around you are racist. Lord almighty... What an awful world to live in.

You've routinely melted down on bigfooty because people corrected your ******** yet here you are puffing your chest out about people being precious.
What you call "melting down" on Big Footy, I call posting on Big Footy. It doesn't worry me one bit.

Are you going to contribute anything else to this discussion, or are you going obsessively post about me like you always do? :$:$:$:$

giphy.gif

Last edited:
What you call "melting down" on Big Footy, I call posting on Big Footy. It doesn't worry me one bit.
I mean, it clearly does.

Yeah, that was a pisstake. Just amusing myself by flipping Leather Poisoning's heartfelt analogy
A bit of a weird response for someone who's bemoaning people's approaches to a nuanced, thorny issue.

Maybe I should be more serious. What do you want me to say? Bullying is bad. Let's stop it. Let's all be kind and respectful to one another. Let's all come in for a group hug and share our stories and let the tears flow. Pfffffft.
I guess he wanted you to reflect on your blanket statements that the behaviour directed towards Goodes was completely fine and completely untoward, which you seem to be unwilling to do.

It's a bit of a joke really when you consider the way people interact online. e.g. Imagine being so intolerant of other people's opinions and labelling them as racist just because you don't see eye to eye on a thorny nuanced topic such as this.
Imagine accusing anyone who doesn't agree with your point brainwashed, or bringing up the indiscretions of a teammate from almost two decades ago to have a shot at situation, or brushing off one of the more nuanced takes from LP on this issue.

Imagine walking through life thinking that 50% of people around you are racist. Lord almighty... What a awful world to live in.
Strawmen, again really useful in a nuanced discussion.

I don't have a problem with Goodes call out what he perceived as a racist comment, but once she apologised and said she didn't know it was racist he should have accepted it.

He did though! What is this alternate universe people live in where he didn't front up at a conference (which wasn't called by him, by the way) and specifically say he had talked to her, she wasn't to blame, and about 10 other things in the same vein?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back