#indyref2 Scotland and the second independence referendum

Remove this Banner Ad

it’s very funny that the EU’s Byzantine, inefficient and intractable bureaucracy is an argument for remaining in it.

Yep its amusing the sort of BS the unhinged nonsense apologists come out with.

TP reminds me the of the Japanese soldier hiding in a Philippine Island for years after the war ended, refusing to surrender.

Especially considering the UK are bringing barely anything to the world that they cannot get elsewhere.

Its not like the UK dominates financial services in a number of areas or has the best two universities in Europe etc etc.

However my argument was always against a no-deal (specially with meds), which they have zero mandate for.

lol, still sticking with that utterly refuted piffle.

Humour.

Hong Kong: better off in China or on their own? On their own, what did they have to sell to the world?

Singapore = better off in Malaya federation or independent?

They both have decent ports and a big finance industry neither of which would be easy for an independent Scotland to have on a similar scale.

lol, still sticking with that utterly refuted piffle.

Humour.

Most people want a deal, check any poll.Only a small percentage want no-deal. Funny how democracy matters less when it goes against what you believe in. After 2 years i am still waiting for an evidence that no-deal is a mandate.....waiting for your Cameron video again.

Hong Kong: better off in China or on their own? On their own, what did they have to sell to the world?

You are missing the point. I am not suggesting that HK cannot survive on their own, your argument proves why strength in numbers is important specially with hostile neighbours like Russia and the ever aggressive 'America First' trade policies to prevent political cannibalism like China is doing to HK.

HK developed their competitive advantage several years ago being the shining light of capitalism and free markets when the Chinese were killing themselves in millions. This is why HK is HK. Comparing that with communist China is plain silly. However as i said in my last comment, the orbit is bound to happen and it's happening, this is why you need strength in numbers, like Switzerland, has done. You have provided the strongest argument for EU. Well done.

Last edited:
Singapore = better off in Malaya federation or independent?

They both have decent ports and a big finance industry neither of which would be easy for an independent Scotland to have on a similar scale.

LOL yes cause smaller EU nations are doing horrible in the single market right? if Ireland can survive so can Scotland, oh see now fear mongering now..scotland will die blah blah. Since do you little Englanders start pretending to care about Scotland?

You wanting to make UK like singapore suggests you have NFI, but you previously have compared UK farming with that of Australia. I am sure a low tax and service oriented industry will UK a heaven, amirite? LOL. You have zero idea about geography. Stop reading express

Last edited:
Its not like the UK dominates financial services in a number of areas or has the best two universities in Europe etc etc.

So UK should open up universities in Australia then? Rofl.

Tell us if the FTA with US will include 'services' as a part of the package as well? this is why UK doesn't want to lose passporting rights, you arguing against no-deal is plain silly and dumb. You know you are wrong but you won't accept it.

For example:

The Financial Conduct Authority regulator says that around 5,500 financial firms in the UK currently have EU passporting rights and the British Bankers Association says UK financial firms exported over £20bn of services in 2014.

The Financial Times has reported that some in the City estimate that as much as 20 per cent of UK-based firms’ investment and capital markets revenue (around £9bn) could be disrupted if the UK loses the EU passport.

Only a moron like you claims 'it doesn't matter if we lose passporting rights'. If you deny that UK didn't benefit from passporting rights, then you are beyond help, even beyond the Procrastinator. Unlike you, I have worked in business services extensively inside the EU (Portugal, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium,Sweden) and outside (USA, Canada, Brazil, Mexico,India, China). Selling and operating services inside the EU is an order of magnitude simpler than outside the EU. Do not expect increased free trade in services outside EU to compensate for more than 10% of losses from trade with the EU and it will take 10 years to get there at least (if ever). Hard Brexit may have many virtues but the economics are very, very, grim. Ask anyone with a similar experience, they will agree with me.

Last edited:
Here's a difference
The UK union is a story of coersion
The Scots went along with it reluctantly, the Irish had it imposed on them
Every member of the EU has joined of their own free will, and has a voice regardless of size
It's not hard to understand yourself as part of something that supports you and protects your interests
But you knew that, right?

No no havent you heard, they were all forced to join the EU. They have no power or veto over the decisions taken in the EU parliament and have no influence on any directives that are approved by the parliament. :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

I swear some of the posters in this thread give a whole new meaning to the word 'naive'.

So UK should open up universities in Australia then? Rofl.

Yeah no research gets done at UK unis.

Tell us if the FTA with US will include 'services' as a part of the package as well? this is why UK doesn't want to lose passporting rights, you arguing against no-deal is plain silly and dumb. You know you are wrong but you won't accept it.

The UK will easily survive lack of passporting. its not hard as i have explained before. Everyone in the City knows this.

Only a moron like you claims 'it doesn't matter if we lose passporting rights'.

Utter BS. Ask someone who actually works in the City.

Unlike you, I have worked in business services extensively inside the EU (Portugal, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium,Sweden) and outside (USA, Canada, Brazil, Mexico,India, China).

Are you a travel agent?

LOL yes cause smaller EU nations are doing horrible in the single market right? if Ireland can survive so can Scotland, oh see now fear mongering now..scotland will die blah blah. Since do you little Englanders start pretending to care about Scotland?

Ireland has a deficit of 7% of gdp? Clueless

You wanting to make UK like singapore suggests you have NFI, but you previously have compared UK farming with that of Australia.

Ah farming just another area you have no idea about.

Oh but Chlorine Chicken and hormone treated beef.

Yeah no research gets done at UK unis.

Yes 35 percent of science projects are EU funded. When i paste a research report about Brexit from a UK university your stock standard tinfoil hat reply is about EU funding. So pray tell, what is it? are they reliant on EU money or they are independent? either way you are doomed.

The UK will easily survive lack of passporting. its not hard as i have explained before. Everyone in the City knows this.
I don't think the people you are talking to are bankers. There is not one argument against 'benefits of losing passporting rights', not ONE! why don't you paste an article showing how passporting is not very important and it's not much of a loss? and by articles i mean, no express, daily fail or a far nazi tinfoil hat site.

I never said UK will collapse, but they will lose a significant chunk of their revenue due to lack of passporting. I do not think you know anyone in the City, everyone in the City agrees that passporting is vital for the city. You are only lunatic i know who says that.

Utter BS. Ask someone who actually works in the City.
Jesus, i thought you were ignorant but now i think you are clueless. Here, let me dumb it down for you, the British financial services sector benefitted massively from British EU membership by exporting worth 29 billion pounds or almost 13 percent of its entire GDP.. It allowed the UK to become "Europe's banker". While the City of London will definitely keep its status as one of the big global financial hubs, the very point of Brexit is that the UK becomes a competitor to the EU. Hence, it will be treated as such and the EU will protect its interests and most importantly, take back control™ over its own financial markets.

By Bank of England and PwC estimates (yes yes zionists i know!!) 10% percent of the City financial services relies on passporting rights. Financial services are 11% of UK GDP, so losing 10% of 11% might represent a 1.1% cut in GDP. That's not counting the impact on all the other sectors of the economy. Maybe you should stop imagining things and get out in the real world and talk to real people for an estimate. You don't understand how passporting works,it's difficult to explain how taxing such services will make it uncompetitive. I tried to dumb it down, but it's impossible any further.

The fact you don't see the advantages of passporting doesn't surprise me. The US refused to make a deal with the UK in services for a reason, they do not wish to make a deal with the UK where UK has a surplus.

Are you a travel agent?

No but i bet i am doing better than you. You clam to work in finance yet you don't understand the basics. Who the hell would pay you for a service?

Last edited:
Ireland has a deficit of 7% of gdp? Clueless

really? did you pluck that figure from express?

LOL!!! talk about owning yourself. :)

UK deficit is way above EU average and poverty levels the same as Bulgaria. Welcome to the real world Herr Medfuhrer

Ah farming just another area you have no idea about.

Oh but Chlorine Chicken and hormone treated beef.

LOL ah tell me what percentage are "other payments" in CAP? after getting owned in the last argument it's hilarious that you would mention farming again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really? did you pluck that figure from express?

ireland doesnt hence the ? Scotland does.

Scotland’s notional deficit stood at £12.6bn or 7% of GDP, including North Sea oil revenues, compared with the UK’s total £23.5bn deficit, which includes Scotland’s figure. The UK deficit is equivalent to 1.1% of its GDP.

UK deficit is way above EU average and poverty levels the same as Bulgaria. Welcome to the real world Herr Medfuhrer

More BS. Its under 2% gdp year ended march 2019

LOL ah tell me what percentage are "other payments" in CAP? after getting owned in the last argument it's hilarious that you would mention farming again

Lol. You couldnt pin the tail on a blind donkey.

Enjoy filling in your customs forms. I have so much sympathy.

Yes 35 percent of science projects are EU funded

With UK money.

I never said UK will collapse, but they will lose a significant chunk of their revenue due to lack of passporting. I do not think you know anyone in the City, everyone in the City agrees that passporting is vital for the city. You are only lunatic i know who says that.

They will circumvent it. Just like they did with Glass Steagall.

Jesus, i thought you were ignorant but now i think you are clueless. Here, let me dumb it down for you, the British financial services sector benefitted massively from British EU membership by exporting worth 29 billion pounds or almost 13 percent of its entire GDP.. It allowed the UK to become "Europe's banker".

Stuff all of that had little to do with the EU. London has long dominated finance. The Eurodollar market and big bang were far more important.

ireland doesnt hence the ? Scotland does.

Scotland’s notional deficit stood at £12.6bn or 7% of GDP, including North Sea oil revenues, compared with the UK’s total £23.5bn deficit, which includes Scotland’s figure. The UK deficit is equivalent to 1.1% of its GDP.

Cause scotland is independent is it? cause scotland can make/take policy decisions with their awesome 59 seats in the parliament is it? cause scotland gets to keep their tax money is it? what a dumb argument. You can only make a GDP comparison when the country is fully sovereign. Infact your argument shows why scotland should be independent, they can't really do much worse than this.

More BS. Its under 2% gdp year ended march 2019

Still higher than the EU average.

Lol. You couldnt pin the tail on a blind donkey.

Enjoy filling in your customs forms. I have so much sympathy.

hahaha! you will fill much more than i do, i have exited UK last year and diversified into other countries. Best decision i have ever made! 48 percent of UK exports goes to the EU while only 15 percent of the EU exports goes to the UK. Its obvious who will be doing the filling up.

Last edited:
With UK money.

Well atleast you admitted that UK universities run on EU money. LMAO...well done.! but don't worry you are losing 500m/week right now, make sure you let all the old white brexiters know they got what they voted for ;) with one of the highest child poverty AND poverty rates in the entire EU, matching with Bulgaria and Romania, oh wait, actually Bulgaria is better than the UK in both. LOL. Stop digging a hole for yourself Herr Medfuhrer.

Stuff all of that had little to do with the EU. London has long dominated finance. The Eurodollar market and big bang were far more important.

You are arguing against yourself. The biggest financial services market for UK is in the EU. To make EU a competitor means you are setting yourself up for a significant loss of revenue. This is a no-brainer. The US has repeatedly refused to make a deal with the UK on services for a reason.

No more London based insurance companies offering directly services cross border to EU clients... like Lloyds they will have to set up a EU based subsidiary who becomes legally responsible under the ECJ for all products/services sold in the EU to EU clients. The same for banking services. It involves monumental amounts of paperwork and investment.

The EU needs less than 10% of the UK's financial services industry to relocate to the EU27 - the tax revenues from that would more than compensate for the loss of the UK's budget contribution.
(And of course chunks of the automotive and other UK-based industries will also relocate - it's just a matter of time).

However, what we are discussing is hypothetical, the Tory manifesto clearly said a no-deal Brexit is off the table (although they cant be trusted).

As i said why don't you post an article where it shows 'passporting rights' are meh.. Come on i am waiting just like i am waiting for you to prove a mandate on no deal for over a year.

Last edited:
Liam Fox promised to sign 50 MOU's before 2020! at present they have 5 and none with countries that actually matter.

The fact that BoJo wants to sign a trade deal by 2020 shows he has NFI. Any trade deal atleast takes 48 months to negotiate and sign and EU follows a 33 step negotiation process and calculations which atleast takes 3 years. Australia is still waiting for an EU response for 6 years now, it might be signed by 2020. These morons have no practical experience, just fooling the public.

Why does it have to take 2 years ?

Trump is making deals with China regularly. And within months. He is skipping the gravy train of thousands of public servants and consultants having long lunches.

Its in Europe's interest to make the deal too.

Germany cant produce for the entire EU.

And why does Europe need any of that? They have their own currency and own universities.

meds as usual is clueless.I wonder if he knows what research is. Research usually happens through collaboration which includes multiple countries and multiple groups/entities combined. In Europe there are many programs tailored towards that, Horizon being one of them. I lived and studied in Switzerland for 2 years for my Masters degree and the standard is right up there with any of the UK universities. We had research programs in the UK which included multiple universities participating with one being the host university, visiting professors, mentors etc etc. While UK has the infrastructure to host such research programs, without participating bodies, it's useless. I doubt meds have any real life experience in research, he should stick to moving numbers on a spreadsheet.

Trump is making deals with China regularly. And within months. He is skipping the gravy train of thousands of public servants and consultants having long lunches.

Trump is making deals with China regularly? really? US has no bilateral FTA with china, it considers China as a 'non market'. The deal you are talking about are not FTA's, those are based on WTO arbitration standards which includes putting tariiffs and dropping them. These are not deals, these are blackmailing techniques based on "how much the chinese have pissed me off today". A comprehensive trade deal (like FTA) needs years to negotiate.

US and china been neogitiating a comprehensive TA for well over a decade now and they haven't reached an agreement.

Last edited:

Simple point HairyO, a simple withdrawal agreement took 3+ years to agree with the EU demands. You think a comprehensive trade deal with take 12 months? EU has a 33 step negotiating process (you can google) and the quickest they have signed is the one with Japan (13 months) based on Japan accepting EU standards. If UK accepts all terms and conditions laid down by the EU it might be possible, but do you see that happening? Britannia has no self esteem left after caving to all the EU demands re: the Irish border, they might eventually agree but not without drama. It will take a lot longer than 12 months, you can bookmark my post and bump it on december 2020.

Simple point HairyO, a simple withdrawal agreement took 3+ years to agree with the EU demands. You think a comprehensive trade deal with take 12 months? EU has a 33 step negotiating process (you can google) and the quickest they have signed is the one with Japan (13 months) based on Japan accepting EU standards. If UK accepts all terms and conditions laid down by the EU it might be possible, but do you see that happening? Britannia has no self esteem left after caving to all the EU demands re: the Irish border, they might eventually agree but not without drama. It will take a lot longer than 12 months, you can bookmark my post and bump it on december 2020.

Why are you presuming that they have had no discussions since the Brexit referendum? Why is every deal starting again from scratch now?

Why are you presuming that they have had no discussions since the Brexit referendum? Why is every deal starting again from scratch now?
cause a draft withdrawal agreement (which has been proposed is not a trade deal) is not a trade deal. A negotiation on trade deal will only begin after the withdrawal agreement makes sufficient progress. The UK is still deciding on the withdrawal agreement 3 and half years after the poll. A trade deal is immensely complicated which will include services,fisheries, aviation, food standard etc etc and UK needs to be careful not to piss Donnyboi off etc etc. The Withdrawal agreement covers the settlement of UK's financial commitments, the Border between NI and Ireland, the status of EU citizens in the UK, and the conditions for the transition period it doesn't cover any trade aspects.

The real negotiations will only after the withdrawal agreement is done. There's been some 'draft' been put to paper, but nothing formal yet and nothing has been sent to Brussels officially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back