Intermittent fasting

Remove this Banner Ad

Did my first fast today and it was a lot easier than I was expecting. Stomach started grumbling at various times throughout the day but never once felt genuinely hungry. Still didn't feel hungry by the time I had a meal tonight.

I was up til 4am writing a paper last night too, so I was awake for about 20 of the 24 hours. None of this cheating by sleeping through half of it!

Did a workout at about the 22 hour mark and didn't notice any lack of energy, though I got a bit more puffed than usual when I did a little cardio to finish.

Made me notice how often I eat out of habit though. Wandered up to the fridge a few times this arvo before I caught myself. Wasn't hungry, just absent-mindedly looking for something to eat out of habit.

Has she been happy with the progress you have made, or has it simply made her more self-conscious?

#womencanbecrazy#fittermanmakesthemmoreinsecure

she is happy for me but never the less thinks a low calorie diet will work better for her. Even though she has been trying that for 10 years already and still slowly is getting fatter ( like most people).

Hey guys, i was looking at getting into this, been doing a bit of reading on it. Which method would you recommend, out of the 24 once a week or 16/8? Was also wondering what type of meals do you guys eat, i do eat well, but im not sure if with my current diet id be getting the right amount of protein and all that.

Hey guys, i was looking at getting into this, been doing a bit of reading on it. Which method would you recommend, out of the 24 once a week or 16/8? Was also wondering what type of meals do you guys eat, i do eat well, but im not sure if with my current diet id be getting the right amount of protein and all that.

After experimenting a fair bit I found 24 hour fasting ( I now do 36 hours fasts) a lot more effective than the 16/8 hour fasts. 16/8 is probably good for body builders who want to be able to overeat and still not put on fat but you are not going to lose a lot of weight on it ( unless you remain in caloric deficit as well).

After experimenting a fair bit I found 24 hour fasting ( I now do 36 hours fasts) a lot more effective than the 16/8 hour fasts. 16/8 is probably good for body builders who want to be able to overeat and still not put on fat but you are not going to lose a lot of weight on it ( unless you remain in caloric deficit as well).

Cheers mate bit of a newbie when it comes to all this I've always been fit never had to worry about weight or anything. However uni and injury have made me slack off so much. Trying to get back to what I used to be 2 years ago so looking into ways to drop these kilos.

Last thing i ate was 7.30 last night and wont eat until tomorrow morning.
evo, do you have advice and tips on how to handle hunger? It's not THAT bad but i'm starting to feel hungry. I'll power through with no problems but am just wondering if you have any tips? :)

evo, do you have advice and tips on how to handle hunger? It's not THAT bad but i'm starting to feel hungry. I'll power through with no problems but am just wondering if you have any tips? :)

yeah sure. As i mentioned earlier in the thread you will be get hit with short term hunger pains from time to time - have a cold diet coke, or ice cold glass of water. I also found sugar free mints pretty handy. Hunger is always temporary you'll find; you just aren't used to not eating every 3-4 hours. It's all psychological. Try to keep busy.

yeah sure. As i mentioned earlier in the thread you will be get hit with short term hunger pains from time to time - have a cold diet coke, or ice cold glass of water. I also found sugar free mints pretty handy. Hunger is always temporary you'll find; you just aren't used to not eating every 3-4 hours. It's all psychological. Try to keep busy.

I ended up folding on the 26th and eating cabbage soup I'd made (didn't even warm it up but it was delicious).

Yesterday i was preparing a breakfast in my head to break my fast but this morning i didn't even feel like it so just had 2 hb eggs.

I'll go for the 36 hour fast next week. Feel really good today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Evo if i could ask your advice, Did my 24 hour fast this week, was very impressed at how easy it was, i mean i was expecting it to be very very hard, and i only really got hungry once, had some water and all good.
My question was what type of meal/how big of a meal do you eat before your fasts? A lot of mixed info out their regarding this so was wondering what approach you were taking.

Thinking of stepping it up to 36hours next week and seeing how i go.

Evo if i could ask your advice, Did my 24 hour fast this week, was very impressed at how easy it was, i mean i was expecting it to be very very hard, and i only really got hungry once, had some water and all good.
My question was what type of meal/how big of a meal do you eat before your fasts? A lot of mixed info out their regarding this so was wondering what approach you were taking.

Thinking of stepping it up to 36hours next week and seeing how i go.

It is not really that important how big your last meal is; it more depends on your goals. I usually weight train on the day I start a fast so I like to get a few decent size slow burning high protein meals ( like steak) after training so at least that night I can still hopefully build some muscle before going 36 hours without food.

If on the other hand you are just trying to lose fat, just have a normal, or even a light meal as your last.

I'm 16 hours into my second fast and feeling more confident with this one.

evo, in that doco you posted and in the article pezdispenser posted, they both mentioned suppliments. Do you take any during a fast?

I'm 16 hours into my second fast and feeling more confident with this one.

evo, in that doco you posted and in the article pezdispenser posted, they both mentioned suppliments. Do you take any during a fast?

If I train fasted I usually have a pre-workout drink ( Jack3d) just for a bit of extra energy (mainly from the caffiene), but it definitely isn't necessary. You could just as well drink a Coke Zero for a bit of calorie free energy as well.

Martin Berkham reccomends you take BCCAs if you are going to work out fastede but they actually have calories so you are technically breaking your fast when you do that. I suspect if you take BCAAs during a fast your insulin is going to rise and growth hormones fall, at least temporarily. Admittedly exercising would probably mitigate a lot of that though. As someone keen to build ( or at least preserve) muscle during fasts I'm quite interested to know which is the best way to go myself. It is probably something that needs a bit of scientific study.

Edit: I should add that the time when your body is super anabolic is immediately after you break your fast. So try to lift weights just prior to, or immediately after breaking your fast. Growth hormone is elevated and your body is much more sensitive to food, and thus more able to synthesis protein for muscle rebuilding. Insulin, which transports the protein for muscle rebuilding, will spike.

BCAA is definitely fine around exercise time.

The benefits of it outweigh the breaking of the fast.

Quote from martin on the subject:
Consuming BCAAs every other hour through the fast is sufficient to keep protein synthesis stimulated and prevent protein breakdown. If protein intake is completely omitted, it would undoubtedly affect results negatively. Thus the compromise of ingesting BCAA pre- and post-workout through the fast, before the real post-workout meal, which is initiated at the usual time of the feeding phase.

Will we still derive the benefits from regular fasting if we consume small amounts of protein throughout the fast post-workout? Yes. If carbs are omitted, the increased insulin sensitivity will quickly bring back basal insulin to fasted state levels despite consuming 120 calories worth of fairly insulinogenic amino acids. The fasted state is almost fully maintained post-workout.

BCAA are amino's aka protein - so 4 calories per gram (total 40 cals).

Re "every other hour" - it all depends on how long you go between training and first meal though.

I used to train at 8am with first meal at 3pm. So i'd have one before, around 10 and then 1pm.

If you were training fasted and had a proper meal straight after you'd only need them pre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back