Is anyone here not a member for 2017?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think a big footy version would be great. As in, those that don't have memberships at the moment - for whatever reason, can have a membership funded by those that are willing to participate.
Great work.........I'm in for $50.

I'm in, pending a decision on a clear direction on how the money is being used and where it is going.
Yep that'll come in due course...thanks though mate :)

GJ,
This is not the right thread, I've lost where you ran this, but you were seeking ideas to pass on to the club.
So I apologise for breaking the thread.

However, I read an interesting article in the New York Times yesterday (from a visiting American writer to Australia) on the focus on "Welcome to Country" that we have here (and the Yanks definitely DON'T have).
The writer was impressed with the practice.

It got me thinking.
No one has a "Welcome to Country" preamble to home games.
(Well they might but I haven't attended a game in Australia for 6 years).
St Kilda is an inclusive club, we should investigate introducing this.
Be the innovator as we have with the Pride Game.
(Of course we would need the permission from the relevant people).

But what if instead of a "Welcome to Country", the aboriginals had an equivalent to the Maori haka - a "Challenge to Country"

Now that might be blast at Etihad!

Especially if the volume was set at 11.

Not really sure I should jump into this, but... I'm not a member.

Briefly - I only started watching AFL a few years ago (although I've been a St Kilda 'supporter' since 2004 - basically on about my third day in the country someone tried to recruit me as a Collingwood supporter and I decided on St Kilda instead - thank God). I started on BF more due to interest in ASAGA and only really got into regular footy watching properly from the start of the 2014 season. FWIW I watched all of the 2016 Saints games twice and caught another dozen or so 'neutral' season games so am pretty across the game now.

Although I am a big fan of the team / club, I am very ambivalent on the AFL as an organisation / the competition as a whole - the corruption, the ridiculous inconsistency of match day refereeing and MRP etc. ASAGA probably wasn't a great entry point on that score, and that combined with some other things has made me hold back a bit from fully committing financially and interest wise this year.

One example of such - I really didn't enjoy the GF this year. Half the Dogs midfield seems to throw the ball every disposal by hand (Libba and Hunter the worst offenders imo) and I frickin hate how several times Dogs players could slide into the ball / make contact legs first, and it would be the Sydney player getting pinged for a high tackle (particularly the Hannebury one).

So yeah although I love the game itself, the AFL s**ts me a lot. Having said that, if my interest doesn't wane in 2017 I'll be a member for 2018.

Not really sure I should jump into this, but... I'm not a member.

Briefly - I only started watching AFL a few years ago (although I've been a St Kilda 'supporter' since 2004 - basically on about my third day in the country someone tried to recruit me as a Collingwood supporter and I decided on St Kilda instead - thank God). I started on BF more due to interest in ASAGA and only really got into regular footy watching properly from the start of the 2014 season. FWIW I watched all of the 2016 Saints games twice and caught another dozen or so 'neutral' season games so am pretty across the game now.

Although I am a big fan of the team / club, I am very ambivalent on the AFL as an organisation / the competition as a whole - the corruption, the ridiculous inconsistency of match day refereeing and MRP etc. ASAGA probably wasn't a great entry point on that score, and that combined with some other things has made me hold back a bit from fully committing financially and interest wise this year.

One example of such - I really didn't enjoy the GF this year. Half the Dogs midfield seems to throw the ball every disposal by hand (Libba and Hunter the worst offenders imo) and I frickin hate how several times Dogs players could slide into the ball / make contact legs first, and it would be the Sydney player getting pinged for a high tackle (particularly the Hannebury one).

So yeah although I love the game itself, the AFL s**ts me a lot. Having said that, if my interest doesn't wane in 2017 I'll be a member for 2018.
Don't worry mate you aren't the only one re the AFL!

Thanks for the input :) At least it's nice to know it's nothing the club has done to you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back