Is North Melbourne passing on Logan McDonald going to be the 2021 version of the Bulldogs passing on Buddy for Ryan Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, that's a quality way to go about your drafting!

And who is this mythical superstar Comben that so many North supporters are hanging their future hopes on? Is that the same Comben that was such an outstanding U18 player that he lasted all the way to pick 31?
That's him.

He took a great mark in a practise game once.

Comben is North's Gumbleton/Rusling.

Every club in the s**t heap has a few of these mythical footballers in their time at the bottom.
SSSSSS Gumbleton was our Gumbleton.

He was a two time premiership player.

How is that saying Comben is better than Lewis? Comben has played 1 game. Did anyone actually say Comben is better than Lewis?

I don’t particularly rate CCJ, but right now he is better than Comben. I think wires are getting crossed between potential and actual output. It would be good if some could differentiate.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Are you trolling?

This sounds like trolling

If you rate someone more then another, that is saying they are better

Because in no world had Combden shown more promise then Lewis

Are you trolling?

This sounds like trolling

If you rate someone more then another, that is saying they are better

Because in no world had Combden shown more promise then Lewis

Trolling ??? Lol. I just want a bloody quote from someone who has said Comben is better than Lewis, which is what my original reply was in response to. All I have been provided with is some draft list based on future potential. A Hawthorn supporter saying someone said this or that means nothing to me.

As much as I hate this thread I may as well way in.

I did want Logan, I was surprised north took Phillips.

That said, I do have hopes for Phillips. I think he can be a good inside mid and I actually think there are other members on norths midfield who may be higher ranked that won’t make it with north at least.

I don’t think it’s going to be a huge gaffe though I think both will end up good players. The test will be if we can pick up a kpf within the next few drafts we can avoid the “regret” stage

Oh also I think comben has immense promise based on some very good vfl performances.

However, he might not have the greatest ability…..availability.

I like Mitch Lewis too.

17 other teams had the chance to draft Mitch Lewis on at least a couple of occasions, beats me why North are coping stick for it only.
Because north are struggling.

Draft misses are always going to be magnified because our list sucks. There obviously has been issues.

I can’t let myself play the what if draft game, it’d be too depressing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because north are struggling.

Draft misses are always going to be magnified because our list sucks. There obviously has been issues.

I can’t let myself play the what if draft game, it’d be too depressing

Can't do much about it now mate (looking in hindsight) but I think the departures of a couple of high profile members of your recruiting department is actually a blessing, not the disaster the media and some of the Hens here have been clucking about.

2, probably 3 solid draft and trading periods in a row, and North definitely will be in good shape going fowards..
Obviously getting the right people into your footy department with that ability to find talent and create decent trades for North is the hard part. If the AFL could help you out in that dept (such as giving you a soft cap exemption so you guys can hire top tier recruiting and talent scouts) that would be fantastic.

Can't do much about it now mate (looking in hindsight) but I think the departures of a couple of high profile members of your recruiting department is actually a blessing, not the disaster the media and some of the Hens here have been clucking about.

2, probably 3 solid draft and trading periods in a row, and North definitely will be in good shape going fowards..
Obviously getting the right people into your footy department with that ability to find talent and create decent trades for North is the hard part. If the AFL could help you out in that dept (such as giving you a soft cap exemption so you guys can hire top tier recruiting and talent scouts) that would be fantastic.
Tend to agree, I meant we have had our share of bad luck too Phillips illness, Cunningtons diagnosis, Combens injuries plus McKay picking up sn injury every other week.

But really north are paying the price now for not nailing the expansion drafts as difficult as it was, rightly it wrongly that tier of player is what we are missing, I do think if the list culls weren’t undertaken north would merely be kicking the can down the road a few years. That why I don’t think the whole self inflicted thing is accurate, the issue isn’t the culls it was the drafting recruiting of those types

Perhaps you should. It helps with selecting players if you have spoken to them beforehand.
I’d say it could be handy

Perhaps you should. It helps with selecting players if you have spoken to them beforehand.
Its done now but it was something I heard at the time. I think we may have spoken to him once. Unlike say JHF who we were yakking too for months.

Its done now but it was something I heard at the time. I think we may have spoken to him once. Unlike say JHF who we were yakking too for months.

Which doesn't make much sense as Adelaide were always going to go with Thilthorpe so why put so much effort into hiding what North were going to do with pick 2. I mean North could have announced loudly a week before the draft who they intended to take and it would not have made a difference.

Which doesn't make much sense as Adelaide were always going to go with Thilthorpe so why put so much effort into hiding what North were going to do with pick 2. I mean North could have announced loudly a week before the draft who they intended to take and it would not have made a difference.
Who knows, obviously communication in covid times was odd perhaps they just didn’t adjust well enough. I just hope the new staff learn from those issues

It was 2020. Maybe Covid just got in the way.

That was a pretty ****ed up year for us. Apparently the hub went very pear shaped and we are where we are now because of that.

Noble, Rawlings and Luff were all appointed just before the draft and they all would have played a major part in who we picked. I don’t think we intended to pick Phillips until very late in the piece, hence why he wasn’t spoken to much. Noble came in with an aim to build from the midfield out. I dare say we had our eyes on a tall (most likely McDonald) before turning to Phillips.

Phillips was easily rated the best mid in the draft. Hindsight is a beautiful thing but at the time it wasn't seen as that crazy a pick.

In saying that, McDonald was rated higher in the majority of reports. There was a clear gap between the top 3 and the next group, Swans fans all thought we would be picking up DGB, Phillips or Hollands as McDonald was meant to not get past pick 3. It's also fun to see North fail time and time again

Phillips was easily rated the best mid in the draft. Hindsight is a beautiful thing but at the time it wasn't seen as that crazy a pick.

In saying that, McDonald was rated higher in the majority of reports. There was a clear gap between the top 3 and the next group, Swans fans all thought we would be picking up DGB, Phillips or Hollands as McDonald was meant to not get past pick 3. It's also fun to see North fail time and time again
Why?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back