Opinion Is the stand rule stopping you from going to games ? (poll)

Is the stand rule stopping you from going to games ?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just allow the guy on the mark to move one step, like in basketball. Easy fix. Achieves the same goal, but stops the stupid frees that annoy people.
Could not agree more - you are too full of commonsense to work with the AFL. They have seriously made the umpires job so much harder the last decade, and these part-time pests won't up their commitment.

Just allow the guy on the mark to move one step, like in basketball. Easy fix. Achieves the same goal, but stops the stupid frees that annoy people.
But the problem is just like every stupid rule they bring in, they over umpire it in our opening game then relax it for the rest of the weekend and year.

I read that the Eastern FNL have got rid of it and maybe a few other suburban leagues as well, i watched a GF from the VAFA last year and the MOTM was jumping around all over the place and it wasn't an issue for the player kicking the ball, he still pinpointed a teammate.

But the problem is just like every stupid rule they bring in, they over umpire it in our opening game then relax it for the rest of the weekend and year.

I read that the Eastern FNL have got rid of it and maybe a few other suburban leagues as well, i watched a GF from the VAFA last year and the MOTM was jumping around all over the place and it wasn't an issue for the player kicking the ball, he still pinpointed a teammate.

The AFL is a sham organisation. knee jerk reactions that never work out "properly"

Never trial rules or ask about them beforehand.

bunch of dills, who will hopefully get knee capped on day

nah how about we go back to what we've been doing for 120+ bloody years . it was never an issue, it only became one cos Richmond won multiple flags at geeschlongs expense. luckily their ceo was "custodian of the game"

The AFL is a sham organisation. knee jerk reactions that never work out "properly"

Never trial rules or ask about them beforehand.

bunch of dills, who will hopefully get knee capped on day
shocking brought it in a week before the season started after we won the flag against geeschlong lol . a week!

and he trialled it at the scattery

Stand will get scrapped next season bookmark it. Only in this year so they can save face.
if we win the flag it will get scrapped as we have worked them out

The stand rule is stopping me watching games on TV for a few reasons

1. the umps constantly yelling stand

2. the way infringements over the mark are policed differently for some teams

3. it's impact was figured out halfway through the first season it was brought in, the cats had a massive head start on that little change

This - the Swans' players ran over the mark over and over without being pinged for it

Great points all round.
Go back and watch some games from the mid 90s now and it really reinforces what you're talking about. No deliberate OOB or rushed behind free kicks. As you say, the long kicks for 'touch' are actually celebrated by the commentators. And there was no commentary around saying there was a problem with the deliberate kicks out of bounds. Nobody cared. The only people who cared about rushed behinds were the cheer squads!!
50m penalties were rare and for the most part only for really serious infringements.
I really hate the change of letting the backman just run out of defence after a behind. It could get quite intense sometimes when a team was struggling to get it out from a kick in, awesome when it was your team holding it in the forward line.

Holy hell, the deliberate out of bounds has to be the worst (-interpreted) rule of all time. On the one hand, a Richmond player, kicking towards the Richmond forward fifty, is pinged for a shank, whereas a Swans player kicks it out of play near their defensive fifty, when there's a Richmond outnumber, and it's a throw-in.

Like every rule in our game,open to massive degrees of interpretation.

That’s what makes us angry but not much we can do about it.

Like Naughton last week jumping over the back of a Tiger in a marking contest and getting a free for it which cost us the game.

That game really cost us through the umpiring.

Last night ,I can’t really fault the umpiring.

Most of the 50’s were ill discipline,there was one strange one I remember.

I remember Jack could have been pinged for a high tackle but got a shot at goal,should frame that free.

The Stand rule is a joke.

Paranoia from the AFL after Richmond’s success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy hell, the deliberate out of bounds has to be the worst (-interpreted) rule of all time. On the one hand, a Richmond player, kicking towards the Richmond forward fifty, is pinged for a shank, whereas a Swans player kicks it out of play near their defensive fifty, when there's a Richmond outnumber, and it's a throw-in.
If you aim for the boundary and it goes out I’ll take that but when it’s kicked down the line and turns at 90 that’s a throw in

If you aim for the boundary and it goes out I’ll take that but when it’s kicked down the line and turns at 90 that’s a throw in

That's fair but, in the instance I was thinking of from Friday night's game, there was no reason why the Richmond player would have wanted the ball to go out of play - some 100 metres or so from the Swans' goal

The STAND rule...nominating for the ruck and letting the fullback waltz out to 30m to kick out ...all totally unnecessary rule changes......The AFL have tried to manipulate how the game is played and it's disgraceful ....but the Media are to s**t scared to call it out ......STAND rule is the most idiotic and embarrassing thing to come into the game

Back