Opinion Is this the worst North team ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Laidley's teams made two (or was it one?) Prelims mate.

Sure hammered by a better team/s, but they would beat this North team 10/10 and quite easily.

Much tougher and more organised, disciplined than this group which look in complete disarray and no structure whatsoever.
My immediate memory of Laidley era footy is reminiscent and is identical of the way we exit the ball out of D50. Its identical. I believe this team would hold that team inside their D50 better. If that makes any sense

My immediate memory of Laidley era footy is reminiscent and is identical of the way we exit the ball out of D50. Its identical. I believe this team would hold that team inside their D50 better. If that makes any sense

It does but I disagree.

The Laidley teams were much tougher and resilient than this group. They would smash us purely due to dedication win the contest regardless of ability.

Not as talented as a list, no way, but got much more out of themselves IMHO.

In terms of worst list - probably not (but not by much).

In terms of depth and Key Position players (KPD & KPF) - then yes this is the worst that I can remember (have been following since late 70's / early 80's).

Yeah I think our list is overrated by many but it does have talent for sure (albeit lacking depth in key areas)

Thank you for your opinion, being an older watcher than I am, I suspected that may be the case.

It does but I disagree.

The Laidley teams were much tougher and resilient than this group. They would smash us purely due to dedication win the contest regardless of ability.

Not as talented as a list, no way, but got much more out of themselves IMHO.
Thats fair. Whats also fair is they were given more freedom to act in the contest tougher. Fart on a player and its a 50. This is an entire thread, the game is ****ed and is not comparable to 16 years ago. I am more pissed off with where the game is at, than our team

I agree this is the most uncompetitive side I've seen in my time (born mid-90s). I think we have a talented list, but that is more saying there is untapped potential.

Compare this to a Laidley team, you may say there was less talent but there were still plenty of bonafide matchwinners and premiership players to make up for the lack of talent (Harvey, Simpson, Grant, King, Archer). The way I see the list now we are basically rebuilding a new side a-la GWS and GC. Our senior players that are meant to carry the youngsters are a different calibre (Ziebell, McDonald, Goldstein, Cunnington, Anderson, Corr, Turner, Hall). Only Cunnington and Goldy fit in to the above list, with Cunnington currently recovering from cancer.

Honestly, it's no surprise we're struggling so much and appear to lack 'Shinboner spirit'. The amount of come back victories I remember being off the back of individual brilliance (Grant, Harvey) shows how great these players were.

That’s ridiculous. That team still had a spine of AA players. We got lucky, yes, but they haven't been impacted by covid for at least 6 weeks and still serving up slop

WCE are very bad I agree.

They would have beaten us with their senior players if available that day though.

Maybe just me but I don't consider us as winning a legit game this year.

Talent or otherwise on the list is a different discussion, so I can't really agree there.

Laidley's 2000s team would flog what we are producing at the moment.
But what he’s getting at is we have significant upside, this part of it is par for the course.

We must get the next coach appointment and list man right and get the train back on the tracks, there is talent to fix it which is something to take at least sone comfort from

I agree this is the most uncompetitive side I've seen in my time (born mid-90s). I think we have a talented list, but that is more saying there is untapped potential.

Compare this to a Laidley team, you may say there was less talent but there were still plenty of bonafide matchwinners and premiership players to make up for the lack of talent (Harvey, Simpson, Grant, King, Archer). The way I see the list now we are basically rebuilding a new side a-la GWS and GC. Our senior players that are meant to carry the youngsters are a different calibre (Ziebell, McDonald, Goldstein, Cunnington, Anderson, Corr, Turner, Hall). Only Cunnington and Goldy fit in to the above list, with Cunnington currently recovering from cancer.

Honestly, it's no surprise we're struggling so much and appear to lack 'Shinboner spirit'. The amount of come back victories I remember being off the back of individual brilliance (Grant, Harvey) shows how great these players were.

Great post.

My thoughts entirely and people underestimate how much Laidley got out of his players imo.

Plus some were better than they are given credit for, like the names you mentioned.

But what he’s getting at is we have significant upside, this part of it is par for the course.

We must get the next coach appointment and list man right and get the train back on the tracks, there is talent to fix it which is something to take at least sone comfort from

Sir Grille, i'm VERY AWARE what he is getting at list wise.

I am not saying are we in the worst position of all time for North. I wouldn't consider that to be the case at all.

I'm asking if this is the easiest beaten and inept North team of all time if that makes it clearer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a few years older than you, but not old enough to remember the early 70s.

This is by far the worst team I can remember. I've seen some shithouse excuses for effort and disorganised, frustrated groups: but not for this sustained amount of time. It's got similarities to the disastrous 1993 pre season, except this isn't a few Foster's Cup drubbings. It feels like the last time we saw a team was the win against WC.....2021.

Worst ever team? There's wiser heads here who have seen more. But even though I can cherry pick some poor teams from decades gone by, I can't put the current one as being better than any of them.

That said I'm a deluded optimist who has seen it turn quickly before, so I hold on to hope!

See players like Troy Makepeace, Daniel Pratt, Jess Sinclair and co are nobodies to many these days.

Thing is they could bloody play a decent game and importantly, brought the heat EVERY week.

I'm old enough to remember the 60s into the early 70s when we were a very ordinary team. I honestly cannot compare the two eras but have to admit that right now we are virtually unwatchable. Even in the 60/70 era we at least had a crack. Right now - we are just shockingly inept.

I'm old enough to remember the 60s into the early 70s when we were a very ordinary team. I honestly cannot compare the two eras but have to admit that right now we are virtually unwatchable. Even in the 60/70 era we at least had a crack. Right now - we are just shockingly inept.

Thank you gokangas

I'm not young but have no idea about how bad we have been before but it can't be much worse than this.

An older opinion is extremely valued.

Thank you gokangas

I'm not young but have no idea about how bad we have been before but it can't be much worse than this.

An older opinion is extremely valued.
I used to beg my mum in the 60s to let me support a different team because we never won.

I used to beg my mum in the 60s to let me support a different team because we never won.

Haha......well my Brother convinced me to go for North when about 10 as I LOVED our colours (which we hardly ever wear anymore but that's a different issue)

I don't regret it but gee whiz it's testing at the moment! ; )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back