Is Tom Hawkins criminally underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

I replied to yet another Cats comment about Richmond, if your supporters would stop referencing us in every damn thread we wouldnt need to constantly respond in every damn thread:rolleyes:

Perhaps if you weren't so insecure you wouldn't feel the need to defend the reigning premier and current flag favourite everytime they get mentioned in a thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We dont think highly of him as Rance generally beats him so we dont see him at his best.

If only lol.. he's drilled Rance for a decade. Rance didn't beat Hawkins until the end of his 10th AFL season.

He has had a good career if people are honest, he reminds me of a poor man's Matthew Richardson he has good tank not to workrate of Richo but does seem run a lot Kilometers on the App he is not quite to the level of Buddy, Riewoldt, Kennedy but I'd probably have him on par with Tex Walker as a player.

He has had a good career if people are honest, he reminds me of a poor man's Matthew Richardson he has good tank not to workrate of Richo but does seem run a lot Kilometers on the App he is not quite to the level of Buddy, Riewoldt, Kennedy but I'd probably have him on par with Tex Walker as a player.

Walker's probably a bit more prominent in finals. If his teammates aren't getting him the ball, he tends to try and work his way into a game.

Hawkins has kicked 1 goal or less in 11 of his 20 finals appearances.
Very mediocre by comparison to most other 500 career goal kickers.

Walker's probably a bit more prominent in finals. If his teammates aren't getting him the ball, he tends to try and work his way into a game.

Hawkins has kicked 1 goal or less in 11 of his 20 finals appearances.
Very mediocre by comparison to most other 500 career goal kickers.
I'm still of the opinion that Hawkins should have been awarded the Norm Smith Medal in the 2011 GF.

If only lol.. he's drilled Rance for a decade. Rance didn't beat Hawkins until the end of his 10th AFL season.
Benny Benny Benny, since the beginning of Rances career in 2009, which actually began at KP versus Geelong, with Hawkins being held to 2 goals, Hawkins has averaged only 1.5 goals a game against Richmond, his best output was 3 in 2011 and 2015 the rest of the years are 1 goal or no goals.

If 1.5 goals a game is what you consider a drilling then that explains why you think Hawkins is underrated, personal opinion is he is a solid full forward not to many tricks in his bag, if anything he is slightly overrated.

Given his size / work rate, I've always somehow expected more of him. But still, very good player.

Benny Benny Benny, since the beginning of Rances career in 2009, which actually began at KP versus Geelong, with Hawkins being held to 2 goals, Hawkins has averaged only 1.5 goals a game against Richmond, his best output was 3 in 2011 and 2015 the rest of the years are 1 goal or no goals.

If 1.5 goals a game is what you consider a drilling then that explains why you think Hawkins is underrated, personal opinion is he is a solid full forward not to many tricks in his bag, if anything he is slightly overrated.
I struggled to recall any game where Hawkins had a day out against Richmond

Given his size / work rate, I've always somehow expected more of him. But still, very good player.
Agreed..
2012. He was poised to take the Coleman mantle for years to come.

Key Forward Players like Jack Riewoldt shed weight about 4 years ago to cater to the running based supportive game expected of forwards these days.
15kg from memory.

Hawkins went the other way and piled on the kilos.
I’m sure that size comes in handy but the guy is physically stronger than his opponents anyway.
With the increased size Tom has been more notable to accidental frees against and the odd suspension through being a fraction late and clumsy.

Credit where credit is due..
I’m still a Tomahawk fan.

It’s always a balance between size and speed.

I'm still of the opinion that Hawkins should have been awarded the Norm Smith Medal in the 2011 GF.

nah' he was playing on an injured bloke who is now all but washed up because of persistent injuries starting that very day.

Bartel was a class above everyone in the midfield.
Dictated the game on his terms. Was kicking goals from the boundary, 55 metres out and was at the very top of his game in every aspect.
If not for he, Johnson and Selwood, we are in trouble at halftime.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back