Opinion Most underrated player(s) in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Zero All Australians for someone who has been the best/second best medium backman (either him or Tom Stewart) over the last six years tells me is underrated.

Yes he is clearly recognised as the best player at the Hawks but we are pretty much off Broadway these days with little free to air games for the broader public to watch him in action.

If he was playing in a competing side like the Pies or Port he would be more recognised for his unbelievable levels of talent and consistency.

Like I said its a left field nomination but I think it works.

In your opinion, which is not shared by the AA selectors.

Sicily is a very good player but not sure I would use the word "unbelievable" to describe him. He is believable.

From the Tigers, Daniel Rioli.

Has become a consistently good player in the past 2-3 years.

The test for Miers is how well he can play when the team falls a bit down the ladder and not as much quality around him. It's not as difficult playing well when the team is a solid/good unit. Particularly the role he plays

Valid, but this has been his best season and I think we've spent about a month in the top 8 so far this year....

Zero All Australians for someone who has been the best/second best medium backman (either him or Tom Stewart) over the last six years tells me is underrated.

Yes he is clearly recognised as the best player at the Hawks but we are pretty much off Broadway these days with little free to air games for the broader public to watch him in action.

If he was playing in a competing side like the Pies or Port he would be more recognised for his unbelievable levels of talent and consistency.

Like I said its a left field nomination but I think it works.

Too many people know he is a gun to consider him underated IMO.

Tom Mitchell. Averaging 27 disposals and 5.9 tackles a game.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a Hawthorn supporter begrudge him any success. It was hard to lose him, but if he stayed he would be no chance of a premiership, and it's freed up midfield minutes for a younger player.

Josh Dunkley, Jye Caldwell, Jack Lukosius, and probably half of Melbourne's midsized/small players come to mind.

From my club Gryan Miers. Has really come on from the last half of this year and through this year. Creative playmaker who makes good decisions consistently.

The perception on here is that he is a spud so that will take a while to change.

Valid, but this has been his best season and I think we've spent about a month in the top 8 so far this year....

Miers this season has semi-mastered the pass off/score-assist out of necessity from being too fearful of missing his shots on goal, he's 2.9 this season after going 47.25 in his first couple, so hardly worth rating at all. Hugh McCluggage does the same thing for Brisbane but at least he's a mid & not a small forward like Miers is meant to be.

Yes but you have alot of elite players around him not firing on all cylinders. System hasn't changed for you guys. If you become a bottom 4-6 team at some point is he going to blend into the background or maintain the level of this year.

Too many people know he is a gun to consider him underated IMO.
The media don't. Otherwise he would be a multiple AA already. As good as Stewart is he wasn't better last year. Funnily enough there talking Sis up more this year for a AA gig yet has missed more games and hasn't been as consistent as other years. It's clearly because they heard the backlash of his non selection last year.

Miers this season has semi-mastered the pass off/score-assist out of necessity from being too fearful of missing his shots on goal, he's 2.9 this season after going 47.25 in his first couple, so hardly worth rating at all. Hugh McCluggage does the same thing for Brisbane but at least he's a mid & not a small forward like Miers is meant to be.

OK cool.

Oscar Allen. Has kicked 35 goals this year in one of the worst teams in the history of the game. Phenomenal effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oscar Allen. Has kicked 35 goals this year in one of the worst teams in the history of the game. Phenomenal effort.
Bloody good call there mate.

The fact that he's kicked more goals than guys like Ben King, Aaron Naughton, Harry McKay and Eric Hipwood is mind-bogglingly good.

I
The media don't. Otherwise he would be a multiple AA already. As good as Stewart is he wasn't better last year. Funnily enough they’re talking Sis up more this year for a AA gig yet has missed more games and hasn't been as consistent as other years. It's clearly because they heard the backlash of his non selection last year.
I’m astonished he hasn’t got an AA yet. Deserves more than 1 probably.

I’d nominate Mitch Duncan for us. Also no AAs but has been consistently excellent for over a decade. Yet people don’t consider him a key player for us.

I

I’m astonished he hasn’t got an AA yet. Deserves more than 1 probably.

I’d nominate Mitch Duncan for us. Also no AAs but has been consistently excellent for over a decade. Yet people don’t consider him a key player for us.
You know the guy is an elite player (Sicily) when the wheels fall of the structure and system when he's not playing. 2 games missed 2 heavy losses. Hugely influential to how we want to play. Leadership is underrated too. You could say the same for Duncan as well.

I’ll reiterate John Noble.

For us it’s definitely Tom Libratore. He is a freak at extracting the ball in very tight spaces and finding a teammate. Never had an AA is really selectors not understanding what he does because he has the ball for a nano second. He is our initial spark at nearly every contest in a midfield that is consistently good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back