Opinion Most underrated player(s) in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Larkey.
What he does in a rebuilding side is simply remarkable. He's been excellent for some time and is only now getting a fraction of the recognition he deserves.

I do like Matt Cottrell's ticker too. He's no perfect footballer but he just wins or halves contests he hardly has a right to get to and gives 100% until the final siren.

This. Loved his game against your guys a few weeks ago, absolutely never stops trying

Not sure with that perception. Stats wise he's in the top couple of players in the comp for scores per inside 50. People are taking notice

Most of the time when a cats fan mentions him on this site it gets laughed off.

Miers, Close and Zac Guthrie are the 3 I’d think of at Geelong. Larkey has been mentioned but he gets my vote across the league, the guy is a fantastic player

Angus Sheldrick, Jacob Van Rooyan, Jordan Clark, Liam Henry, Will Powell, Sam Petrevski Seton, Matt Guelfi...

Actually, everyone from Claremont.

I'd say Josh Daicos- Very clever and skilled player who gets a lot of shade from younger bro.

From the swans I'd say Gulden. Everyone knows he's a talented kid but he's approaching AA Calibre this year. If his form of the past couple of months holds up I could see him getting a spot on the wing or the bench, or at least making the AA squad. He's racking up heaps of touches and his disposal is superb. Also knows how to kick a goal too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the swans I'd say Gulden. Everyone knows he's a talented kid but he's approaching AA Calibre this year. If his form of the past couple of months holds up I could see him getting a spot on the wing or the bench, or at least making the AA squad. He's racking up heaps of touches and his disposal is superb. Also knows how to kick a goal too.

He's about to become your best player.
Has everything and his kicking skills are absolutely brilliant.

Lachie Schultz. Also think Mitch Lewis is still slightly underrated, I think he’d be the best forward in the competition if in a decent side

From my club Gryan Miers. Has really come on from the last half of this year and through this year. Creative playmaker who makes good decisions consistently.

The perception on here is that he is a spud so that will take a while to change.
The test for Miers is how well he can play when the team falls a bit down the ladder and not as much quality around him. It's not as difficult playing well when the team is a solid/good unit. Particularly the role he plays.

Was going to say Issac Quaynor, but I think he is now rated appropriately, so I nominate Brayden Maynard as another vital cog in the best backline in the AFL. Makes an occasional howler, but is tough as nails and bleeds black and white. (He probably should see a dr about the latter).

Another is Taylor "Doc" Duryea from Whitten Oval. Cast aside by the Hawks, he has become the leader of a rag tag group playing in the Bulldog backline.

Haven’t watched Dogs for a bit but Ed Richards always impressed.

James Sicily.

Might be a bit left field given he already has plenty of recognition but as someone who watches him every week I think the sheer magnitude of his talent is sometimes overlooked by the media who want to focus on his "bad boy" image (which is very overblown).

He's close to the best all round Backman I have ever seen.

James Sicily.

Might be a bit left field given he already has plenty of recognition but as someone who watches him every week I think the sheer magnitude of his talent is sometimes overlooked by the media who want to focus on his "bad boy" image (which is very overblown).

He's close to the best all round Backman I have ever seen.

Everyone considers him the best player at Hawthorn, how is he underrated?

Everyone considers him the best player at Hawthorn, how is he underrated?
Zero All Australians for someone who has been the best/second best medium backman (either him or Tom Stewart) over the last six years tells me is underrated.

Yes he is clearly recognised as the best player at the Hawks but we are pretty much off Broadway these days with little free to air games for the broader public to watch him in action.

If he was playing in a competing side like the Pies or Port he would be more recognised for his unbelievable levels of talent and consistency.

Like I said its a left field nomination but I think it works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back