Autopsy It's All About the Future - Port d Peel Thunder by 69, r23, AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Why were Poooooort going so many cheap shots against our young kids? Especially once they were well in front?

Anyway, was very happy with that effort, apart from Zaaaarke, Duffield and Crozier. Lots of hope for the future...

I think it was part of their 'call to action' and getting their heads back in the game type thing. Pretty unimpressive stuff really, I'd call it almost cowardly actually. But it did settle down once Port took total control in the 3rd quarter or so.

Duffield is getting called out by a few. No doubt he defended too 'softly' by half, but I thought he did quite a bit right today. He's not going to keep anybody out next week (unless Sutty isn't right to go, then maybe), but he was solid enough. Except for that one turnover-goal where he seemed to lose his footing on the kick, I was reminded again how beautifully he can weight a kick when he's being creative, and he plays the percentages well enough.

Grey's last 1m attacking the ball is insane, he almost accelerates through it like Byron Pickett used to accelerate through a bump. One thing was clear as day though - he should never kick short, his short kicks are horrible. Has a leg but - kick it long.

Of the debuts Blakely got shown up the most by the pace of AFL IMO. But those hands .. wow. He'll be great.

Tabs has improved his wrestling technique since we last saw him. Think he should be played deep with Pav a little further out.

If Griffin dont come up, genuinely think they may pick both Tabs and A Pearce, Sandi solo. Zac D takes Tippett and follows him there when he rucks. They simply cannot play Clarke or Hannath on this evidence.

His role isn't about goals, its about doing the basics. Sure he did a decent job today, but he hasn't shown it on a consistent basis.
You whine a lot, but you don't have too much in the way of viable alternatives, do you?

Got people like you at work. "This is s**t. Someone <else>, do something."
But when it comes down to being positive and finding solutions, you're about as useful as a condom vending machine in the Vatican.

A player performing well after coming back from getting dropped doesn't necessarily make it a mistake. You could easily argue the opposite in fact.

Tabs was in pretty ordinary form before getting dropped and AP was an immediate improvement in his first few games up forward as the replacement.

There's a fine line between sticking with someone for development and creating a situation where they feel their spot is assured regardless of form (you could argue we've made the latter mistake with Clarke at times).
Aye, good post. I'd add that it works in some cases and not others, as well. Some players can benefit from being dropped, others don't.

You whine a lot, but you don't have too much in the way of viable alternatives, do you?

Got people like you at work. "This is s**t. Someone <else>, do something."
But when it comes down to being positive and finding solutions, you're about as useful as a condom vending machine in the Vatican.

A.Pearce, Fyfe

Yep looks those people at work are the real hard workers.

Taberner was named 2nd best on ground for Freo after Barlow.
They clearly didn't watch him as closely as I did then. He was very disappointing. Two major fumbles below his knees that should have been goals. Another that resulted in Port clearing the ball from defence. Two misses. One from point blank range, the other from about 25m. Zero defensive pressure. Zero movement. Terrible contested marking. But he was second best on ground? Hughes, Grey, deBoer et.al must have been god awful then.

A.Pearce, Fyfe

Yep looks those people at work are the real hard workers.
So your "solution" is to weaken defence and midfield, the two things we're more or less doing right. Fyfe, the all-Australian (probably) Brownlow medalist possibility, gun player... and you want to throw him forward. Pearce, who's been tried up forward and doesn't look terrible, but is obviously far more comfortable down back and is most likely McPharlin replacement at this point.

Yeah, uh... no.
I don't think the idea of taking a used bandaid from one wound and putting it another is really the answer. Particularly not when Taberner (I'm just watching reply now, first quarter) is actually showing something in this game so far.

So your "solution" is to weaken defence and midfield, the two things we're more or less doing right. Fyfe, the all-Australian (probably) Brownlow medalist possibility, gun player... and you want to throw him forward. Pearce, who's been tried up forward and doesn't look terrible, but is obviously far more comfortable down back and is most likely McPharlin replacement at this point.

Yeah, uh... no.
I don't think the idea of taking a used bandaid from one wound and putting it another is really the answer. Particularly not when Taberner (I'm just watching reply now, first quarter) is actually showing something in this game so far.
Have you got to the bit where he is running into an open goal (early in the first - just before our second) where he gets shown up for a lack of pace, zero ability below his knees and no common sense? You can't see it from the replay but he was straight in front of goal when brought down. Could and should have kicked it off of the ground especially when he's so bad below his knees. I specifically focused on him yesterday and sorry but he's a spud. Put Pearce in that situation and he would have picked the ball up because he can play below his knees. Tabs can't he fluffed it EVERY time he had to collect a ground ball. He also struggles to take a contested mark. No pace. Stands stationary in the F50 most of the time. Not things many people would want in a key fwd.

Last edited:
Have you got to the bit where he is running into an open goal (early in the first - just before our second) where he gets shown up for a lack of pace, zero ability below his knees and no common sense? You can't see it from the replay but he was straight in front of goal when brought down. Could and should have kicked it off of the ground especially when he's so bad below his knees. I specifically focused on him yesterday and sorry but he's a spud.
Yes, and it was a bad bounce. I don't think there were too many players who would have done that any different, because in that situation you would be expecting it to come up - pretty clear to me. It looks bad when you're seeing it live, but on replay it looks completely different. He was expecting it to come up, it didn't, and he was too close and moving too quickly too adjust.

He's a thirty gamer. He's developing. I don't understand the hate, really, and particularly not from the very people who should be looking for the good things. Tom Boyd has spent considerable amounts of time on the sidelines too, this season, in case you hadn't been paying attention.

What I've seen is the increased improvement in second efforts (and there were more than a few of those), the marking is getting better, and there was one passage early in the second where he completely outplayed an experienced Port defender to get it forward from up the ground. You can see he's not confident in front of goal because of a few misses (the pass to Neale from 40 in the first), but that can be changed from just one or two three goal hauls. Footy is played in the head as much as below it.
Do I think he's a champion? Nope. Not at this point. Do I think he has the potential to be a serviceable second or third forward? Damned right I do. And for that reason alone I'm going to be positive about him, for now.

You don't look for what you don't like - you notice it, and teach. You do look for the good things, and you laud those.
Some of you just relentlessly want to see bad.

You don't look for what you don't like - you notice it, and teach. You do look for the good things, and you laud those.

I agree. I focused on Tabs for the same reason I focused on Brady Grey. I wanted to see them do well. I came away so disappointed with Tabs lack of effort more than anything. He makes no movement in the F50. Has no pace to seperate either. Doesn't apply any real defensive pressure. It doesn't help that the Port supporters I went with kept Jibing me about them winning so much throughout the game (which after a while probably affected my mood a little and thus my thoughts on Tabs), but Tabs IMO was god awful yesterday. I went there looking forward to seeing him perform as the main man, and he did nothing for the majority of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. I focused on Tabs for the same reason I focused on Brady Grey. I wanted to see them do well. I came away so disappointed with Tabs lack of effort more than anything. He makes no movement in the F50. Has no pace to seperate either. Doesn't apply any real defensive pressure. It doesn't help that the Port supporters I went with kept Jibing me about them winning so much throughout the game (which after a while probably affected my mood a little and thus my thoughts on Tabs), but Tabs IMO was god awful yesterday. I went there looking forward to seeing him perform as the main man, and he did nothing for the majority of the game.
Those types of things you're talking about are often the result of a lack of support, not necessarily Taberner himself. Early in the third, outruns three Port players and gets a (scrubby) kick forward into the square. That's where Ballantyne and Walters would clean up, but... no one there but Port. Many of the instances you're speaking of were just the result of an inexperienced team.

Big men don't always give much in the way of defensive pressure or running. We've been spoiled with Pavlich, and it shows. Many teams around the league have these kinds of players, and do fine with them, as long as they're not the primary forward target... which Taberner isn't - or shouldn't be. I see him as a forward depth player more than anything,m and in a full strength team he'll do just fine, eventually. Will probably chip in for a couple a game next year if all goes well.
Sure, he was bad in some parts. But not all of them, by far... and showed why Fremantle should persist.

We should be yelling at players Like Clarke, really. Disinterested, uncaring, soft, and all that from an experienced player who should have been pushing for selection. Clarke, someone runs him down for that pathetic effort, and I'm not going to say anything in defence of him at all.
Thanks, Clarke, but I'll take Griffin any day - and you're on the trade table.

Yes, and it was a bad bounce. I don't think there were too many players who would have done that any different, because in that situation you would be expecting it to come up - pretty clear to me. It looks bad when you're seeing it live, but on replay it looks completely different. He was expecting it to come up, it didn't, and he was too close and moving too quickly too adjust.

The bounce that he soccered was the one that would've bounced up to him and most players would've read that and allowed it to bounce. He soccered it showing a lack of footy nouse not to realise that if he'd let it bounce it would've come up into his arms.

The bounce that he soccered was the one that would've bounced up to him and most players would've read that and allowed it to bounce. He soccered it showing a lack of footy nouse not to realise that if he'd let it bounce it would've come up into his arms.
I reckon you might want to watch it again, if we're talking about the same passage of play.

Apart from putting one out on the full, I thought Tanner's kicking was surprisingly good. Kept them low and hard. Has he ever been tried forward? Would it be worth a shot at training or Peel?

Apart from putting one out on the full, I thought Tanner's kicking was surprisingly good. Kept them low and hard. Has he ever been tried forward? Would it be worth a shot at training or Peel?

He was tried up forward in his first season at Peel with limited success but he's developed since then.

He's a thirty gamer. He's developing. I don't understand the hate, really, and particularly not from the very people who should be looking for the good things. Tom Boyd has spent considerable amounts of time on the sidelines too, this season, in case you hadn't been paying attention.

What I've seen is the increased improvement in second efforts (and there were more than a few of those), the marking is getting better, and there was one passage early in the second where he completely outplayed an experienced Port defender to get it forward from up the ground. You can see he's not confident in front of goal because of a few misses (the pass to Neale from 40 in the first), but that can be changed from just one or two three goal hauls. Footy is played in the head as much as below it.
Do I think he's a champion? Nope. Not at this point. Do I think he has the potential to be a serviceable second or third forward? Damned right I do. And for that reason alone I'm going to be positive about him, for now.

GREAT POST!!!! I also thought tabs was terrific yesterday i dont get the negative comments about him he really impressed me yesterday. He made a few mistakes but yeah hes only 30 games in and what i saw yesterday was a massive improvement and he should play next week and i think he will.

Could and should have kicked it off of the ground especially when he's so bad below his knees. I specifically focused on him yesterday and sorry but he's a spud. Tabs can't he fluffed it EVERY time he had to collect a ground ball. He also struggles to take a contested mark. No pace. Stands stationary in the F50 most of the time.
Wow! That's an early call on a young bloke. I see inconsistency in Taberener but I've also seen some promising signs. Made mistakes but wasn't too bad yesterday (as most people have pointed out).

Hope we can win next week, if even for the reason that four or five posters around here will have no reason to come here and bag our players and coach out. We can have a nice two weeks rest like the team.

That passage of play where he kept his cool, stiff-armed an opponent off and delivered a low, flat pass outside 50 was a thing of beauty! In a pure football sense that was better than anything I've ever seen Dawson do.

(I think he may have only had to do it because he dropped a simple mark to put himself under pressure in the first place, but hey, sometimes you need to set up your own assists to show the coach what you can really do!)

That passage of play where he kept his cool, stiff-armed an opponent off and delivered a low, flat pass outside 50 was a thing of beauty! In a pure football sense that was better than anything I've ever seen Dawson do.

(I think he may have only had to do it because he dropped a simple mark to put himself under pressure in the first place, but hey, sometimes you need to set up your own assists to show the coach what you can really do!)

Kicking has improved. I remember the scratchie I watched early in 2014... Every kick was a shank. Loved the "don't argue" and thought he also put in a burst that created space for himself to kick that pass. Shame it came straight back in - I think it was Clancee who flubbed it, but I could be wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back