Draft Profile Izak Rankine

Remove this Banner Ad

Until the AFL come out and enforce this, I can easily see clubs letting the kid slide. Who wants to pick a kid who will sulk and walk out after 2 years.

The AFL will enforce this and they should. It seems that Rankine's management have talked with him and you wont see those types of statements that could land him in trouble anymore. But what exactly does tanking an interview mean. One of the questions every club would ask is if he sees himself being a long term player for them. Will he be willing to extend his contract to 4 years in the first year. He doesn't have to lie. That would not be tampering. Its also not tanking.

That doesn't mean a club should not draft anyone who gives a negative response to these questions. Most clubs will back themselves in to keep the player long term. Most of the time it works out. Sometimes you get the situation like there is apparently with Cerra. Rankine seems to me one of the few guys, like Cerra, that will fall into this category. I dont think he is going to break any draft rules. I dont think he is going to play up outside of footy by partying or anything like that. But I dont think he will extend his initial 2 year contract and then it will be a bidding war between Port and Adelaide to where he goes in 2 years. The trading club will get good value for him. I can only hope we have more currency than Port to get him over to us.

The way Adelaide Supporters carry on you'd think he's a father/son pick for them.

He's not the first player to say they'd prefer to stay home and he wouldn't be the first to stay in a different state after saying that. Adelaide aren't getting him unless they pay a lot of draft currency, which means giving up on a lot of the other high quality SA talent like Hately and Rozee.

I'd absolutely love to have him at Adelaide. But while his preference may be to stay in SA I don't see clubs letting him slide through to pick 8+. I don't think he will go top 3 if only due to his size and clubs historically going for talls and proven full-time mids in those spots. I think he'll land at around pick 4-5, maybe 6.

Personally I'd gladly part with two picks in the 10 - 16 range to jump up to a high enough pick. Perhaps one of our firsts this year and our 2019 first.

Sure it weakens our 2019 hand considerably but it allows us to go hard for Rankine while potentially grabing a Hately or Rozee with our remaining first rounder.

I'd absolutely love to have him at Adelaide. But while his preference may be to stay in SA I don't see clubs letting him slide through to pick 8+. I don't think he will go top 3 if only due to his size and clubs historically going for talls and proven full-time mids in those spots. I think he'll land at around pick 4-5, maybe 6.

Personally I'd gladly part with two picks in the 10 - 16 range to jump up to a high enough pick. Perhaps one of our firsts this year and our 2019 first.

Sure it weakens our 2019 hand considerably but it allows us to go hard for Rankine while potentially grabing a Hately or Rozee with our remaining first rounder.
what?

Andrew McGrath is smaller than him and played predominantly across half back in his jr years, that's pick #1 for you. Even guys like Josh Kelly, Hugh McCluggage, Tom Scully, Jack Billings, Jarrod Pickett, Ben Ainsworth and Paddy Dow aren't known for their height either and most of them are top 3 picks. Billings wasn't even a full time midfielder.

Rankine will probably fill out around 180-183cm, and the notion of that being too short is ludicrous. 180cm is perfectly fine height for an AFL midfielder, and there's a long list of champion midfielders around that mark. Height only concerns recruiters when it's sub-175cm.

The guy is a lock for pick 1-2. Explosive, x-factor goalkicking midfielders are rare as they come, and every club in the competition desperately wants them. I honestly think most clubs would take him over Lukosius now.

With Cam Taheny coming up next year we need to go all out for him as well. I wouldnt be giving up our first next year, as if we loose Sloane and Gov, our first could be pretty valuable.

What a great Champs Izak had. Going to be a super player. If anyone has access, he had a great interview on 5AA today and sounds like a character.

At time he was just taking the Piss out of Vic Metro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone on our board on here who's been here since 2007 and has long talked about having a contact at Carlton reckons he told him that Carlton have a hard-on for Rankine and that they definitely won't go tall with their first.
Whilst on talent it makes sense it would be somewhat surprising given the love in for JL and Walsh and the rumours on Rankine's character.

He can certainly football though and Carlton need plenty of players that fit that description.

I would be taking him in a heartbeat if he is there at our pick 2-5. Worry about the supposed go home factor when he gets up here.
If (what my mail is saying in SA) that Lukosious goes at 1 you should get him.

Thats if u finish 17th at the end if the year

Someone on our board on here who's been here since 2007 and has long talked about having a contact at Carlton reckons he told him that Carlton have a hard-on for Rankine and that they definitely won't go tall with their first.

Please let this be true.

Rankine is the one I want. We need explosive goal kickers. I dont care if they're dwarves, talls, smalls or in betweeners.

Link to post?

Ive heard SOS has had his eye on Smith (and Max King, and his brother) for a while now.

That said, I hope you're correct because Im of the view that Rankine will be the best player in the draft.

Caveat being if he works hard at it. My only knock on him is his lowish possession count. A player with his talent (and he's the most talented I've seen coming through the juniors) should be getting more of it. He picks and chooses a bit, rests on his laurels, and fades in and out of games. A bit of a lad too from what Im hearing (not that there is anything wrong with that; as long as you adopt a work hard, play hard motto).

When he's on though, oh Lordy. Absolute freak. Will win games tearing the heart out of the opposition.

He's not dual sided either, and I wouldn't be surprised if his endurance base wasn't pretty low. Those things tend to also be red flags signaling not working hard enough on your craft growing up.

It'll be interesting to see where he gets taken. I've had a hard on for him for most of the year. Cant help but think Walsh (and to a lesser extent Lukosious) are a little overrated. Id have Rankine over both of them, and maybe even Smith coming in at 2.

Don't think you'd be going too far wrong with any of them!

Smith is the one I reckon is just what we need, although we could of course do with any of those others, but it's now looking a strong chance that we won't have a top 4 or even 5 pick, especially if GCS get a compo pick for Lynch, so most/all of them might be gone by then.

Smith is the one I reckon is just what we need, although we could of course do with any of those others, but it's now looking a strong chance that we won't have a top 4 or even 5 pick, especially if GCS get a compo pick for Lynch, so most/all of them might be gone by then.

If I was a Saints recruiter I reckon 'X factor/ Star power' is what Im looking for. If Rankine is on the board at 4 or 5 (or wherever you guys end up) you take him.

Feeling on the Lions board is that we could very well over take you.

Feeling on the Lions board is that we could very well over take you.
You may indeed, you're coming home with a wet sail, but we've remembered how to football again, after forgetting from the start of the year, and our last 4 all look very winnable on our recent form (and we might have a few back from injury by then- we were missing as many as 10 who would have played on Friday night, had they been available and in form, plus Carlisle was only about 50% fit), so it will be an interesting finish.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back