R Man

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda
This inane comment was said by John Anderson not one minute after the match... 'the legend of Lleyton Hewitt?' I'm as patriotic as the next red blooded Aussie, but I certainly wasn't barracking for Lleyton!! If I was playing tennis against him I'd jump the net and punch his brains out - especially when he continues to scream, 'c'monnnn when an opponent double faults..!' As far as I can see it he's a national disgrace...and I hate tall poppy syndrome..! go figure...

R Man said:
This inane comment was said by John Anderson not one minute after the match... 'the legend of Lleyton Hewitt?' I'm as patriotic as the next red blooded Aussie, but I certainly wasn't barracking for Lleyton!! If I was playing tennis against him I'd jump the net and punch his brains out - especially when he continues to scream, 'c'monnnn when an opponent double faults..!' As far as I can see it he's a national disgrace...and I hate tall poppy syndrome..! go figure...

He's got a point. he continues to play out five set matches and win them when his back is against the wall.

R Man said:

John Anderson? Get a clue. It's people like you who only follow the tennis at grand slams who make me laugh and then come on here as if they know it all when they know sweet FA. You need to toughen up if that offends you. If I was playing him I would love it and it would inspire me even more.
Behaviour aside, you can't deny he is a great fighter and is gutsy which is where John ALEXANDER'S legend comments stemmed from.

eastaugh36 said:
John Anderson? Get a clue. It's people like you who only follow the tennis at grand slams who make me laugh and then come on here as if they know it all when they know sweet FA. You need to toughen up if that offends you. If I was playing him I would love it and it would inspire me even more.
Behaviour aside, you can't deny he is a great fighter and is gutsy which is where John ALEXANDER'S legend comments stemmed from.

Woe.... John Alexander.. Big $hit.. He's a nobody anyway..I follow my tennis, but is JA really worth needing to know?Can't interview for $hit either... get Courier straight into it I say!

docker_azza said:
Against any player, with the exception of Federer, Agassi and Safin. He put away Nalbandian and Nadal in much the same fashion last year

Nadal>>>>>>>>Nalbandian>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lleyton's opponent today.

Lleyton better pull his finger out, and quick, or itll be an early exit for him in 2006.

UNIT said:
Nadal>>>>>>>>Nalbandian>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lleyton's opponent today.

Lleyton better pull his finger out, and quick, or itll be an early exit for him in 2006.

Agree 100%. Hopefully the match blew out the cobwebs of having little match play.

eastaugh36 said:
Agree 100%. Hopefully the match blew out the cobwebs of having little match play.

Cobwebs, schmobwebs. Hewitt is nothing more than a dime a dozen baseliner who has got as far as he has with mental strength and nothing else. When he goes up against the true elites of world tennis who have the mental toughness AND the superior game, Hewitt loses.

Its that simple. He just doesnt have the game to go with Federer, Roddick, Safin and Nadal.

Well he has beaten all those players in the past (Stifler and Nadal in last years Aus Open), so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Sylvia Saint said:
Well he has beaten all those players in the past (Stifler and Nadal in last years Aus Open), so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

He beat Nadal when Nadal was a kid. I cant see Hewitt consistently having the wood over Nadal again.

Stifler...again, yeah Hewitt might jag a win here or there against him....but the reality is Roddick is the better player and will win 95% of the time they take the court.

IMO the two best players in the world based on pure ability are Federer and Safin...when there at their best, Hewitt doesnt even belong on the same court.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UNIT said:
Stifler...again, yeah Hewitt might jag a win here or there against him....but the reality is Roddick is the better player and will win 95% of the time they take the court.
Actually Hewitt beats him 80% of the time they take the court.

UNIT said:
He beat Nadal when Nadal was a kid. I cant see Hewitt consistently having the wood over Nadal again.

IMO the two best players in the world based on pure ability are Federer and Safin...when there at their best, Hewitt doesnt even belong on the same court.
Not true. bucksisbest is correct.

However I agree with the last point. Hewitt's a fighter, but he's no chance against an in-form Federer or Safin. Then again, not many players are.

UNIT said:
Cobwebs, schmobwebs. Hewitt is nothing more than a dime a dozen baseliner who has got as far as he has with mental strength and nothing else. When he goes up against the true elites of world tennis who have the mental toughness AND the superior game, Hewitt loses.

Its that simple. He just doesnt have the game to go with Federer, Roddick, Safin and Nadal.

A load of ******** really.

Hewitt has beaten Roddick 6 times to Roddick's 2 wins againest Hewitt.
Hewitt holds a 3-0 record againest Nadal
Hewitt and Safin are evenly matched with Hewitt;s record being 5-6

The only player that has dominated Hewitt is Federer and frankly. he has dominated every player in the world at this stage.

UNIT said:

Hate to tell you but dime a dozen baseliners don't win Wimbledon. No arguments that Federer is a class above on most days but Hewitt more than holds his own with Safin and Roddick. In fact, he owns Roddick and has a 5-6 record with Safin. BTW, pure mental strength won't get you as far as he has gotten.

Thank God for Federer. Hewitts mental strength and work ethic make him a very tough customer. He is a bogan with no class but I respect the way he plays tennis (other than the antics etc.). Players like Roddick and Safin need to play at their best to beat him. They have the weapons but Hewitt can wear them down if they don't put him away. Federer is able to play at that top level regularly

Hewitt hasn't got the skills to beat the best when they are at the top of their game and regularly gets it taken to him by nobodies, but as far as competitive spirit goes he is one of the greatest fighters in Australia's sporting history, period. Deal with it. His will power is legendary and JA called it right, (even though JA is an arrs clown)

I'll credit Hewitt for being a fighter and not giving up, but he hasn't got the talent or the finesse of some of the world's best players.
Is capable of beating Roddick howver.

JohnF said:
Hewitt hasn't got the skills to beat the best when they are at the top of their game and regularly gets it taken to him by nobodies, but as far as competitive spirit goes he is one of the greatest fighters in Australia's sporting history, period. Deal with it. His will power is legendary and JA called it right, (even though JA is an arrs clown)

Is that you Fitzy? ;)

Hewitt shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Federer or Safin. Federer >>> everyone and Safin = Federer when his head is screwed on, therefore Safin >> Hewitt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back