Oppo Camp Jarryd Hayne makes NFL roster; how would we feel if it was a crows player?

Remove this Banner Ad

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors NBA Champions
Right now, Jarryd Haynes is a massive feel good story in Australian sport, but how would the Parramatta Eels feel about him defection to an alternatice code?

He is a superstar in the NRL and like every other sports they want to win premiershipo, feel good stories can happen to players from different codes and different teams - therefore, I imagine a number wouylod be hating on him right now and they secretly would have prayed he missed the cut.

I'm hearing some say, "who cares" he was a rugby player and nothing to do with us but hypothetically, what if one of our (as in an Adelaide Crows player) best athlete did this? Dangerfield, Brodie Smith, Tex, et el...

How would we feel towards him. Would you want him to be successful or would you just not care?

You would think the media would be all over that guy doing something that at least a dozen Aussies have done before, not even sure it has been reported though I haven't looked at the front page of a paper in the last month.

You would think the media would be all over that guy doing something that at least a dozen Aussies have done before, not even sure it has been reported though I haven't looked at the front page of a paper in the last month.

I don't understand your point.

I don't think an Aussie had gone from one code to the NFL as an on field player. We have had punters before (Graham, Rocca) but we have never had a player play as an onfield role.

Plus, it is on the Adelaide Now website, opening story of the Fox Sports website.

1. If our competitiveness was impacted by his leaving (i.e. we got it up the bum when he left), I would be resentful.

2. If we maintained our competitiveness despite his leaving, I'd be happy for him. Crows first!
Well that's spooky.

I don't understand your point.

I don't think an Aussie had gone from one code to the NFL as an on field player. We have had punters before (Graham, Rocca) but we have never had a player play as an onfield role.

Plus, it is on the Adelaide Now website, opening story of the Fox Sports website.
Think it was sarcasm.

Although, like you said, this is different to the previous guys.

I couldn't care less about the NFL, but I'm actually really happy for him considering all the negativity I saw from people I know here who play the code. "pfft he'll never make it, he might be good here but he'll be nothing over there"

Doesn't really respond the the op

Think it was sarcasm.

Although, like you said, this is different to the previous guys.

I couldn't care less about the NFL, but I'm actually really happy for him considering all the negativity I saw from people I know here who play the code. "pfft he'll never make it, he might be good here but he'll be nothing over there"

Doesn't really respond the the op

Well, your post certainly does add to the discussion so that's good enough. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having lived in Sydney for a few years I was a Parramatta fan, went to a few games and Hayne was the best player in the NRL IMO. Greg Inglis was the only player in the same stratosphere of talent. I have been following him even when I left Sydney and watched him almost single handedly win the SOO series for NSW after years of Qld dominance. I am absolutely wrapped about his success so far and truly believe he has the talent to succeed in the NFL and become a star. He has made massive impact already in a game where rookies rarely stand out in preseason esp rookies who have never played the game before. I am a big NFL fan and watch my Bengals play whenever possible.
So Hayne kinda was on my team and left, and I am backing him 100%. The same would go for a crows player. One is an Aussie star the other a star in the USA and around the globe earing potential millions and setting himself and family up for life. Get on it people. Get on the Hayne plane. Strangely makes me kinda patriotic in a good way to see a star of Australian sport succeed and backing himself to fulfil his own goals.

Was a 49ers fan prior to all this - it's been quite annoying to see the media hype, but I enjoy watching him play and he clearly fits in on an NFL field. The guy is an athletic freak and I'm glad we picked him up. I was concerned the Niners would sign him solely for the amount of merchandise he'd sell in Aus, but he's demonstrated that his place in the roster was well deserved. Can play. Issues like reading his blocks and knowing when to make calls will improve with time.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to deal with being accused of bandwagon support now. This is the only downside I think.

Based on Josh Jenkins twitter account, I don't reckon he'd think twice about ditching the crows for an NFL tryout :D

While it would obviously be disappointing, I'd personally find it hard to begrudge someone for giving it a shot, assuming they handled the exit reasonably. It might be different if they moved to one of the rugby codes, or another AFL club, but since the NFL is so completely removed from Australian sport there hasn't been a huge amount of ill will towards him. And just because someone plays AFL, or rugby, or whatever, doesn't mean it's their favorite sport, or their 'dream' job.

There's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much money in American sports, and Hayne's already generated a fair amount of hype in America with his 'underdog' story. He's set for a pretty big payday, assuming he keeps performing.

Based on Josh Jenkins twitter account, I don't reckon he'd think twice about ditching the crows for an NFL tryout :D

While it would obviously be disappointing, I'd personally find it hard to begrudge someone for giving it a shot, assuming they handled the exit reasonably. It might be different if they moved to one of the rugby codes, or another AFL club, but since the NFL is so completely removed from Australian sport there hasn't been a huge amount of ill will towards him. And just because someone plays AFL, or rugby, or whatever, doesn't mean it's their favorite sport, or their 'dream' job.

There's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much money in American sports, and Hayne's already generated a fair amount of hype in America with his 'underdog' story. He's set for a pretty big payday, assuming he keeps performing.

That is the key part but.

Lets say its danger and lets say its next year.
Lose him too geelong - gah not happy.
Lose him to the packers.... no compo.. pretty happy for him.
Whats different?
Dunno.
Kinda like your parter leaving you for another bloke.... as opposed to another woman perhaps....

I think american culture is crap and we should not be celebrating this as an achievement of any kind.

Right now, Jarryd Haynes is a massive feel good story in Australian sport, but how would the Parramatta Eels feel about him defection to an alternatice code?

He is a superstar in the NRL and like every other sports they want to win premiershipo, feel good stories can happen to players from different codes and different teams - therefore, I imagine a number wouylod be hating on him right now and they secretly would have prayed he missed the cut.

I'm hearing some say, "who cares" he was a rugby player and nothing to do with us but hypothetically, what if one of our (as in an Adelaide Crows player) best athlete did this? Dangerfield, Brodie Smith, Tex, et el...

How would we feel towards him. Would you want him to be successful or would you just not care?

JJ would carve it up in the NFL lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats different?
Dunno.
Kinda like your parter leaving you for another bloke.... as opposed to another woman perhaps....

For some reason I think I'd care less about danger leaving if he went to something like the NFL.

Whats different?
Dunno.
The most genuine "it's not you, it's me".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back