Strategy Jason Horne-Francis: North trade him to Port for massive unders

Easy, it’s pronounced

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Between now and draft time there will be players who rise while others slide. And there is always a bolter!
There are bolters usually 1 or 2 that gets into 1st round (usually the back half of the 1st round) but pick 1 or 2 bolters...Nah.

Luke Jackson in his draft was a bit of bolter in relation to where the Dees picked him but I wonder where he goes if the Dees hadn't signaled a fair way out they were real keen?

Clayton Oliver (pick 4) is about the last significant "bolter" I can remember that came from nowhere late in the season.

There are bolters usually 1 or 2 that gets into 1st round (usually the back half of the 1st round) but pick 1 or 2 bolters...Nah.

Luke Jackson in his draft was a bit of bolter in relation to where the Dees picked him but I wonder where he goes if the Dees hadn't signaled a fair way out they were real keen?

Clayton Oliver (pick 4) is about the last significant "bolter" I can remember that came from nowhere late in the season.
Probably Pickett and Georgiadis are 2 from 2019. Although not technically bolters, they went much earlier than the media thought they would

Disagree entirely, but it'll be nice
1. Not getting games into Hately, McAsey, Jones, Worrell, O'Connor. Talented players we need to learn if they can help propel this rebuild.
2. Not playing Fogarty in preferred position.
3. Lost Milera to long term injury.
4. Haven't gotten games into Pedlar due to injury.
5. Players like Himmelburg, ROB, McPherson and McAdam who late last year looked like bankable long term players are verging on needing to find alternatives for us to be competitive.
6. Continue to play spuds like Kelly, Mackay and with all due respect for effort, Murphy, who will not be in a premiership side.
7. Playing injured players and playing them into the ground until they regress in form permanently.

This is a rebuild. Everyone knows that. But we are being hamstrung by terrible selection policy in how long this rebuild will need to last for and what level of talent will be the only inevitable reason our prospects will change.
That's why need a player like Horne.

FFS the AFL cant give out a compo pick, I would be so pissed off. If we finish 2nd bottom, there is an argument that we should get one as well.
I'll be pissed off massively if NM get a priority pick. That will be the epitome of AFL Victorian bias. Having said that I don't think they'll get one after just 1 wooden spoon.

1. Not getting games into Hately, McAsey, Jones, Worrell, O'Connor. Talented players we need to learn if they can help propel this rebuild.
5. Players like Himmelburg, ROB, McPherson and McAdam who late last year looked like bankable long term players are verging on needing to find alternatives for us to be competitive.
6. Continue to play spuds like Kelly, Mackay and with all due respect for effort, Murphy, who will not be in a premiership side.
7. Playing injured players and playing them into the ground until they regress in form permanently.

This is a rebuild. Everyone knows that. But we are being hamstrung by terrible selection policy in how long this rebuild will need to last for and what level of talent will be the only inevitable reason our prospects will change.
Kelly has done well this season, deserves his place.

We are trying to give Fog more balance and options in his game, no problem there.

Injuries suck but can't be helped.

And we are getting a lot of games into a lot of kids.

You're a glass 90% empty kinda poster.

The approach with Fog is the right approach, he needs to be more than just a lead up forward

I agree Worrell should have debut by now however the approach to Jones and Fish is right, we probably played them too early in their careers now we have to build their game and confidence before we re-enter both players at AFL level

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The approach with Fog is the right approach, he needs to be more than just a lead up forward

I agree Worrell should have debut by now however the approach to Jones and Fish is right, we probably played them too early in their careers now we have to build their game and confidence before we re-enter both players at AFL level

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Add Fog to the list of "doing the right thing" albeit in a different way.

For this season to be of any value now we basically need Horne.
Might come down to that Hawks game who gets pick 2, we showed enough that game with the emergence of Thilthorpe who will be one of the gun forward in a few years and also lost that game with the "smart" sub move so.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably Pickett and Georgiadis are 2 from 2019. Although not technically bolters, they went much earlier than the media thought they would
People were saying Melbourne had burnt a first round pick when they took Kossi. Now it was a brilliant decision. Anyone that watched him as a Jr knew he was going to be Eddie Betts mark 2.

For this season to be of any value now we basically need Horne.

It's the cherry on top for this season, but right now, we've got a fair bit out of the first 8 rounds.

We've already equalled what we produced on field last season.
Thilthorpe looks like an excellent prospect.
Sholl has backed up his hot start last season in an emphatic fashion. To the point he's probably the outright favourite for the rising star at this point.
Butts looks like he'll be a worthy successor to Talia.
Schoenberg has backed up last year so far, though pending a genuine breakout game.
Murphy and McHenry have both done a lot of good in staking a claim for a long term spot.
Hamill and Berry have shown signs they'll be good prospects.
Keays becoming a very good midfield, which makes the Matt Crouch decision easier (and we do need more draft picks).

The only question that matters is "are we closer to a premiership now then the start of the year?" That answer is already a yes for 2021. That said, there is certainly room for improvement, but there always is until we've got a dynasty on our hands.

Especially with players like Worrell, O'Connor and Jones beginning to work s**t out, we could be in a very nice position come the end of the year.

Last edited:
It's the cherry on top for this season, but right now, we've got a fair bit out of the first 8 rounds.

Sholl has backed up his hot start last season in an emphatic fashion. To the point he's probably the outright favourite for the rising star at this point.
Schoenberg has backed up last year so far, though pending a genuine breakout game.
Murphy and McHenry have both done a lot of good in staking a claim for a long term spot.
Hamill and Berry have shown signs they'll be long term prospects.

The only question that matters is "are we closer to a premiership now then the start of the year?" That answer is already a yes for 2021.
Even having Keays showing he can lift his level, and Laird consolidating his midfield move are positives in the medium term.

If the Jones and Fogarty experiments work then we've got a lot out of the season.

Hamill and Berry have shown signs they'll be long term prospects.
Keays becoming a very good midfield, which makes the Matt Crouch decision easier (and we do need more draft picks).

The only question that matters is "are we closer to a premiership now then the start of the year?" That answer is already a yes for 2021.

Especially with players like Worrell, O'Connor and Jones beginning to work sh*t out, we could be in a very nice position come the end of the year.
I hope the rising star committee didn't see Sholl's game on the weekend! I haven't seen anyone look that scared on field for a very long time. He avoided contests that much he spent half the game sitting in the grand stand.
I hope he learns from this, because he is great.

I hope the rising star committee didn't see Sholl's game on the weekend! I haven't seen anyone look that scared on field for a very long time. He avoided contests that much he spent half the game sitting in the grand stand.
Only 2 times he went in he got nailed too.

Needs to do that part of his game better but if that's a bad game from him then I'm happy with that level

People were saying Melbourne had burnt a first round pick when they took Kossi. Now it was a brilliant decision. Anyone that watched him as a Jr knew he was going to be Eddie Betts mark 2.
I only watched him at the Champs and he was really average apart from a couple of moments. Was pretty shocked to see him play like he has.

To be fair I didn't see his Sanfl games. Maybe he was injured during the Champs.

I watched him closely in the replay as I heard this a couple of times. I honestly didn't think he was that bad? Unless I missed the contests he shirked. Only criticism I have is that he hacked kicked out a few times without looking.

I only watched him at the Champs and he was really average apart from a couple of moments. Was pretty shocked to see him play like he has.

To be fair I didn't see his Sanfl games. Maybe he was injured during the Champs.
You arnt expecting to see him tear every game apart, you look for what he is capable of.
Strong defender - tick.
Knows where the goals are - tick.
Elusiveness- tick.
Skill with hand and foot - tick.

He had all the traits you want to see in a young small forward. Then put him in a excellent team with good structure and watch him impress

You arnt expecting to see him tear every game apart, you look for what he is capable of.
Strong defender - tick.
Knows where the goals are - tick.
Elusiveness- tick.
Skill with hand and foot - tick.

He had all the traits you want to see in a young small forward. Then put him in a excellent team with good structure and watch him impress
Yeah I'm not saying he doesn't show all this now. Like I said I only watched him at the Champs and he wasn't overly impressive. He showed a few flashes but was hardly in the game. Maybe at Sanfl level he showed a lot more but I didn't catch any u18s that year.

What happened to all the under exposed Vic kids that this draft is supposed to be stacked with? Surely theres a double up of top age break out players floating around by mid season. The ones that would otherwise have been unearthed last year.

We know North will be pushing for a compo pick. We need them to continue to be competitive.

Say Keyser Söze continues to have a good season and moves into pick 1 position. Jason Horne is too much as a compo pick, the AFL can't just frivolously give out a player like that.

Why would they try for one and we wouldn't?
Our past two seasons have been almost identical should we finish 17th and North 18th.

Back