Society/Culture Jennifer Hawkins bares all to promote positive body image in young women

Remove this Banner Ad

omit

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 27, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
JENNIFER HAWKINS BARES ALL FOR MARIE CLAIRE
January 3, 2010, 12:00 am
Jennifer Hawkins appears both naked and unretouched on the cover of marie claire's February issue, on sale January 6, to encourage positive attitudes to body image and support the Butterfly Foundation.

In an exclusive 5 page feature, Jen not only reveals her amazing body but also the pressures she faced since being crowned Miss Universe in 2004 and rising to fame.

and a picture for you

100103_jen_hawkins_cover_image-15jql01.jpg

now I might be wrong in thinking this, but wouldn't Jennifer Hawkins and models like her be responsible for a lot of the body image problems faced by young women these days?

so what if the photos are "untouched", she still has a body which is unobtainable for the majority of the population

and a picture for you

100103_jen_hawkins_cover_image-15jql01.jpg

now I might be wrong in thinking this, but wouldn't Jennifer Hawkins and models like her be responsible for a lot of the body image problems faced by young women these days?

so what if the photos are "untouched", she still has a body which is unobtainable for the majority of the population

she has no friggen idea about her bad bits, compared to normal everyday women.
this is just a publicity thing, or she and others are so far removed from real women, its a disgrace.

see on those top model shows, and they are cruel these magazine and fashion people. a size 6 is the norm. aint in real life though.

oh please. she is scrawny, feed her a big tbone.

a size 12 which I am is not fat.

Whats your BMI?

Whats your percentage of body fat?

Australians get fatter and fatter every year and women are leading the charge. No amount of "go girl" and "you're gorgeous" bollocks from chunky friends can disguise the fact that many Aussie women are fat and, on average, a damn sight fatter than their forebears....

But you tell 'em girl, your not fat!

*By the way, you could be a non-fat size 12. It is possible. Of course the fact that the current size 12 is the old size 14 (they shift them along every half-decade or so to play to their audience) means you might be a little chubby.

Jennifer Hawkins is a product of genetics and of diet and of exercise - as we all are.

I'll bet the diet and exercise component of her life is about 100 times better than most Aussies.

But hey, the "go girl" generation blames it all on genetics, while drinking pints with the boys and downing a couple of kg's of chocolate bemoaning that size 14 "really isn't fat" and "he is just a bastard"....

By the way Campbell, if you look at that photo and see scrawny, you are either blind or filled with envy covered up with hate.
:D

Whats your BMI?

Whats your percentage of body fat?

Australians get fatter and fatter every year and women are leading the charge. No amount of "go girl" and "you're gorgeous" bollocks from chunky friends can disguise the fact that many Aussie women are fat and, on average, a damn sight fatter than their forebears....

But you tell 'em girl, your not fat!

*By the way, you could be a non-fat size 12. It is possible. Of course the fact that the current size 12 is the old size 14 (they shift them along every half-decade or so to play to their audience) means you might be a little chubby.

Jennifer Hawkins is a product of genetics and of diet and of exercise - as we all are.

I'll bet the diet and exercise component of her life is about 100 times better than most Aussies.

But hey, the "go girl" generation blames it all on genetics, while drinking pints with the boys and downing a couple of kg's of chocolate bemoaning that size 14 "really isn't fat" and "he is just a bastard"....

By the way Campbell, if you look at that photo and see scrawny, you are either blind or filled with envy covered up with hate.
:D

camera adds 5 kgs.....

and I see scrawny for good health.

and I am a good size 12 thanks. no bumps on this butt. lol.

I actually think she's gorgeous, and a decent size. If you look you can even see some cellulite on her thighs. Kudos for the non re-touched photo.

She has a far more attainable body than most other models.

Eagles87: I think we've had this discussion before, but you don't seem to have a healthy grip on what female sizing is (apologies if it wasn't you). A size 12 can very easily be in the acceptable weight range. I know from my own experience and that of my girlfriends. Hell, all you need are bigger-than-tiny boobs with decent shoulders and you ain't gonna fit a 10*.

*Sometimes, big boobs are a girl's worst nightmare :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am sure there is some reason why you are choosing to be so disingenuous??

I'll make the key components of the weight related stats easier for you by breaking them down into bite size items:

1. Check the average rate of obesity, say, 20 years ago:

2. Do the same, say, 10 years ago;

3. Rinse, repeat, now.

Are we fatter overall than we were 20 years ago?

25% of kids in Australia are overweight or obese.

Any argument that suggests that we arent getting fatter and fatter is errant nonsense and the growth rates in overweight/obese is higher in women (off a lower base) - try google.

If you want a non-scientific measure of our current position, isolate yourself from westerners for, say, 6 months (live in Asia). Fly back into any Aussie airport - your initial reaction will include "****, look at all the fatties..". I guarantee it. :p

The thing that pisses me off is the need women have to marginalise these attractive women as some sort of freak shows and they with their increasingly fat arses as "healthy".

Fat blokes typically know they are fat and don't feel the need to look at Ben Cousins and bemoan the fact that he is some sort of misrepresentation of "healthy" men.

The fact that government and others assist these women in their denialism is a ****ing joke.

I actually think she's gorgeous, and a decent size. If you look you can even see some cellulite on her thighs. Kudos for the non re-touched photo.

She has a far more attainable body than most other models.

Eagles87: I think we've had this discussion before, but you don't seem to have a healthy grip on what female sizing is (apologies if it wasn't you). A size 12 can very easily be in the acceptable weight range. I know from my own experience and that of my girlfriends. Hell, all you need are bigger-than-tiny boobs with decent shoulders and you ain't gonna fit a 10*.

*Sometimes, big boobs are a girl's worst nightmare :(

Not sure if I have engaged you on this subject or not - maybe.

I am currently in a country where most girls are about 150 -160 cm and weigh between 40kg and 50kg and the big boobed ones have to buy "large" size 8 or 10 sizes (if they are frigging huge :D).

I understand your point but seriously there is a whole support group in place for chubby girls and its other chubby girls. Its fine if they want to be overweight, chow down on fattie foods and complain about size 8's ... just dont actually give them any credibility - unfortunately, out of fear of eating disorders, them seem to have been empowered with credibility. Fat is fat.

Not sure if I have engaged you on this subject or not - maybe.

I am currently in a country where most girls are about 150 -160 cm and weigh between 40kg and 50kg and the big boobed ones have to buy "large" size 8 or 10 sizes (if they are frigging huge :D).

I understand your point but seriously there is a whole support group in place for chubby girls and its other chubby girls. Its fine if they want to be overweight, chow down on fattie foods and complain about size 8's ... just dont actually give them any credibility - unfortunately, out of fear of eating disorders, them seem to have been empowered with credibility. Fat is fat.

Between 40 and 50kg is tiny, and most likely underweight. I did a quick check and someone who weighed 40kg would need to be not a whole lot taller than 135cm before being considered underweight. Not 150-160, but 135cm.. I'm average height at 170cm, so you should re-think your idea of normal (even if you are in another country). 8 is not a large, and neither is a 10. Most people who are a size 8 either work damn hard to get there - harder than they should have to - or are just naturally very small and they are that way no matter what they eat. A 12 is 'large' but for body shape, not fat - an overweight person wouldn't get into a 12 unless they were really short.

As someone who is 'well endowed' I can assure you it wouldn't matter how hard I worked or how healthy I am - the smaller sizes in Australia are not made for women with curves. And yes I mean real curves not fat blablabla.

is this actually non-retouched, or is it more like one of those rules, whereby there is a certain amount of editing allowed before you can call it retouched? maybe it's just me, but aren't they expecting a bit much of the viewer to believe them? they've never given reason to believe them before, telling us it's untouched is hardly proof.

also, she could easily have a truckload of make-up on and the image still be untouched.

personally, i think people looking to magazines for 'truth' have got more problems than can be solved by pictures in said magazines...

4 ft 11 is a tiny framed person. 40 kg even on that is slender.

5ft 3 and 50kg is slender as well.

I wonder what jens height weight ratio is.

It depends on a persons bone structure & attributes. Myself & my daughter are both 5' 8" yet she is 60kgs while I am 54kgs, because she inherited big boobs & hips from her fathers side, while my side were all thin & less well endowed. I have been the same size since I was 19, I did have an eating disorder before then & was very underweight in my early teens. I have been size 10 ever since, but I have always eaten healthy & played sport, or exercised.

I don't consider size 12 as being overweight though, no sane person would.

Between 40 and 50kg is tiny, and most likely underweight. I did a quick check and someone who weighed 40kg would need to be not a whole lot taller than 135cm before being considered underweight. Not 150-160, but 135cm.. I'm average height at 170cm, so you should re-think your idea of normal (even if you are in another country). 8 is not a large, and neither is a 10. Most people who are a size 8 either work damn hard to get there - harder than they should have to - or are just naturally very small and they are that way no matter what they eat. A 12 is 'large' but for body shape, not fat - an overweight person wouldn't get into a 12 unless they were really short.

As someone who is 'well endowed' I can assure you it wouldn't matter how hard I worked or how healthy I am - the smaller sizes in Australia are not made for women with curves. And yes I mean real curves not fat blablabla.

Have you spent anytime in Asia?

The "Jenny Craig" ads here are hilarious:

"I used to be 60kg, but after 4 months I was back to 52kg and soon will be at my goal weight!" .....

They crack me up....

I have a young Aussie guy doing some work with us in Saigon, his GF is small-ish by local standards at about 150cm and only 38 kgs. But not so startlingly small that you notice v her friends. She is 23 years old.

Its pretty normal here for girls to think they are big when they get anywhere near 50kg! I am not shitting you. We have one in our office who is 158cm and 46kg and they were joking with her the other day that she looks "a little fat" .....

Here is an article that explains the joy of shopping for western women in Thailand, and its true that a size 10 is extra-large!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/624505/the_thai_womans_diet_follow_this_and.html?cat=51

The point remains that the relationship between size and weight is dependent on many things and what seems ok from the point of view of people surrounded by "fatties" all day may not be. Similarly, its likely true that being surrounded by Asian women (who are constantly eating) produces the opposite effect - i.e. Australia looks like a fat camp! :p

I am sure there is some reason why you are choosing to be so disingenuous??

Are you serious? Campbell said that Hawkins was scrawny, you disagreed and pulled out the BMI card. Well, according to the accepted definition of normal BMI and Hawkins height and body weight (180cm and 57kg), she is well outside the normal range and classified as 'very underweight and possibly malnourished'. Therefore: scrawny.

I'll make the key components of the weight related stats easier for you by breaking them down into bite size items:

1. Check the average rate of obesity, say, 20 years ago:

2. Do the same, say, 10 years ago;

3. Rinse, repeat, now.

Are we fatter overall than we were 20 years ago?

What does this have to do with women leading the charge? 68% of men are overweight, while 55% of women are.

25% of kids in Australia are overweight or obese.

Cool, but according to the stats, 10% of boys are obese, while 6% of girls are. Once again, men lead the charge.

Any argument that suggests that we arent getting fatter and fatter is errant nonsense and the growth rates in overweight/obese is higher in women (off a lower base) - try google.

Deriving growth rates from percentages is for the most part very meaningless. Australia's population has increased by around 4 million since 1995. Let's say 3 million of them are adults, with 50% each being either gender. This means since 1995, 1.02 million fat men have been added to the population, versus 850,000 fat women. Clearly, men are leading the charge in being a bunch of fat pricks.

If you want a non-scientific measure of our current position, isolate yourself from westerners for, say, 6 months (live in Asia). Fly back into any Aussie airport - your initial reaction will include "****, look at all the fatties..". I guarantee it. :p

Duh, I know Australia is a nation of fat turds. See it everywhere.

The thing that pisses me off is the need women have to marginalise these attractive women as some sort of freak shows and they with their increasingly fat arses as "healthy".

Fat blokes typically know they are fat and don't feel the need to look at Ben Cousins and bemoan the fact that he is some sort of misrepresentation of "healthy" men.

Again: are you serious?

There is no shortage of successful fat blokes out there in the public arena. Hell, the most high profile, if not best, sportsperson of the past generation is a fat bloke:

article-0-03BEA054000005DC-536_468x443.jpg

Then you've got guys like Barry O'Farrell, Kim Beazley, Joe Hockey, etc. The list of huge blokes in decent jobs is huge itself. I can't think of too many fat women that are successful.

The fact that government and others assist these women in their denialism is a ****ing joke.

What are you talking about?

Have you spent anytime in Asia?

The "Jenny Craig" ads here are hilarious:

"I used to be 60kg, but after 4 months I was back to 52kg and soon will be at my goal weight!" .....

They crack me up....

I have a young Aussie guy doing some work with us in Saigon, his GF is small-ish by local standards at about 150cm and only 38 kgs. But not so startlingly small that you notice v her friends. She is 23 years old.

Its pretty normal here for girls to think they are big when they get anywhere near 50kg! I am not shitting you. We have one in our office who is 158cm and 46kg and they were joking with her the other day that she looks "a little fat" .....

Here is an article that explains the joy of shopping for western women in Thailand, and its true that a size 10 is extra-large!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/624505/the_thai_womans_diet_follow_this_and.html?cat=51

The point remains that the relationship between size and weight is dependent on many things and what seems ok from the point of view of people surrounded by "fatties" all day may not be. Similarly, its likely true that being surrounded by Asian women (who are constantly eating) produces the opposite effect - i.e. Australia looks like a fat camp! :p

I don't really care about Asia. Thinking weights about 50kg are 'large' when the population is by and large much taller than Asia is ridiculous. Statistically, a BMI below 20 shows higher morbidity.

You know what I hate.

Fat chicks hiding their junk in those fat pants, that's false advertising.

I think what EA87 is getting at is this movement by fatties who seem to be promoting the idea that fatties should be comfortable in their own skin.

Problem is there's health issues associated with being an 75+ heifer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back