Society/Culture Jennifer Hawkins bares all to promote positive body image in young women

Remove this Banner Ad

Generally people of Northern European extraction will have a higher BMI than South East Asians because of how each race has developed due to climate.

I think I heard somewhere something along the lines of, roughly, that African women have larger hips (than other races) as these were genetically more desirable, because they meant a greater chance of each pregnancy reaching fruition and healthy birth; whereas (Western) European women have larger breasts as these were genetically more desirable, as it wasn't reaching birth that was of concern (as this was more likely anyhow) but the nourishment of the young that was of most importance.

I might have completely just made all of that up, though. Not sure. Sounds believable.

We've come a long way.
A young women who will some day be an old women gets publicity portrayed as a caring altruist by showing us how she really looks.
No doubt she looks a real delight with or without photoshop .
What is a very real problem Australia and the world faces is at least 50% of the Australian population find Jennifer Hawkins to be more influential to how females think than either Dr Fiona Wood or Professor Fiona Stanley AC. Mind you most blokes like it that way.
Finding both Campbell and mantis participating in a bit of Jennifer thread proves the allure of a pretty woman, to all of us. :p

The fact that government and others assist these women in their denialism is a ****ing joke.

And then they turn around and say obesity is a problem.

Well no wonder when people are brainwashed in to thinking being fat is fine and the state will pick up the tab for the associated health problems that follow.

Fat tax.

No brainer.

Well no wonder when people are brainwashed in to thinking being fat is fine and the state will pick up the tab for the associated health problems that follow.

Fat tax.

No brainer.
I would have thought a small government type would baulk at the thought of an army of bureaucrats measuring the height, weight and skin folds of every member of the population.

See the misogynists and ****wads come out of the woodwork for this thread. As if Caucasian women can aspire to an Asian body shape, apples and oranges. :thumbsdown:

Fat tax.

No brainer.

If the ALP brought in a 'fat tax', you would be one of the first on here to label it 'social engineering' from a 'high-tax, revenue-raising' party.

Jennifer Hawkins has a very healthy body, it's one of the main reasons society deems her so attractive. She's certainly not scrawny, and promoting fit, athletic body types is a lot healthier than past promotion of 6 ft, 40 kg waifs (as below), even if fatties still make up the sizeable (pun intended) majority and consider looking like her impossible.

skinny-model.jpg

The only reason Hawko shouldn't be promoted as a body image 'role model' is that she's 180cm tall, which is something that the overwhelming majority of Australian women are not. If she was 160 or 170cm tall she would not get work as a catwalk model, however with the same body type (less the obvious height and associated bone/flesh weight) would still be attractive to most men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to 'do' the starter of this thread for false advertising. So where's the photo of Hawkins baring all? If thats all she has to bare, she's missing some vital parts.

Nope that is a barge arse.

Look it up, honey. The BMI might be just over 25. If you've got big boobs, then it's considered healthy.

Also:

A heads up for people who travel the Lilydale line. The week leading up to Xmas, the Ringwood East traders hand out free coffee & chocolate marshmallow santas to all commuters at the station during peak hour in the mornings, so catch an earlier train, get off at Ringwood East & take the goodies, then catch your normal train. :thumbsu:

Where is the govt saying being fat is fine?

Did you read the article?

Perhaps you really believe that this "positive body image" program is really that - in reality it is seeking to address one problem (i.e. eating disorders) by promoting an alternate view that results in overweight people thinking they are "beautiful" - which is fine, but simply creates another problem.

Your BMI post was genuinely funny. Thanks for that.

Feel free to tell me why an entire race of people - the Chinese for example - can be underweight?

As I said, BMI is a starting point. Hawkins has above average height and this needs to be factored in. If you reckon she is genuinely unhealthily skinny there is no hope for you.

We are a nation of fatties. Increasingly so. Surely facing that reality is better than all the "big and beautiful" bollocks that goes around in Oz?

Granted her face is simply beautiful and impossible to achive...

Is her body really that far out of the relms of possibility for young girls/woman to aspire to?

She has a healthy/Athletic figure that I would have thought is attainable with the right commitment, surely even attempting to get there is a positive thing?

Skin tone might be a bit unattainable, but I think overall she is sending a good message.

Claiming that because the average australian is overweight should result in overweight covergirls is ridiculous.

Evolution would like a word with you.

Asians are not how humans should look. Asians are how Asians should look. The BMI construct of 20-25 is for Western society, and is specifically modified for Asians.

Right, so in that evolution thingie you talk about, its not possible that "our Jen" could also be completely healthy while under 20 on a completely arbitrary BMI?

I mean lets change BMI, so that "healthy" is 25 - 40 .... problem solved.

In the article I linked to, the author discussed one of the methods as to why Thai women were so slight ... strangely the method is identical to that recommended by many dieticians (more meals, small portions etc etc)....

Interestingly, Thais are concerned about growing rates of obesity. The cause? A move away from traditional Thai foods to western foods .... should they simply embrace their new size? Change the BMI measure? Or should they just continue to marvel at the enormous size of the average farang (foreign) woman wandering the streets and remind themselves that Burgers, Fries etc are just bad?

"Evolution" may result in much higher body fat percentages. Is that to be accepted as just evolution?

Granted her face is simply beautiful and impossible to achive...

Is her body really that far out of the relms of possibility for young girls/woman to aspire to?

She has a healthy/Athletic figure that I would have thought is attainable with the right commitment, surely even attempting to get there is a positive thing?

Skin tone might be a bit unattainable, but I think overall she is sending a good message.

Claiming that because the average australian is overweight should result in overweight covergirls is ridiculous.

Misogynist!!! ;)

Right, so in that evolution thingie you talk about, its not possible that "our Jen" could also be completely healthy while under 20 on a completely arbitrary BMI?

a) She is not Asian. People can go on all they want about equality of races but the fact remains that there are, genetically speaking, different races of humans with slightly different traits.

b) I never said she was unhealthy, but I wouldn't be surprised if she were underweight. I've said in this thread that she looks gorgeous and has a reasonably attainable body shape.

c) It is of course possible to be healthy while at a BMI a bit outside the 20-25. It's a statistical tool. It's not designed to perfectly fit every human. But it's like weighing up cancer risk. Be at a weight outside of the range and you're more likely to suffer conditions related to X and so on and so forth.

I mean lets change BMI, so that "healthy" is 25 - 40 .... problem solved.

Oh dear. Do you even understand what the BMI is based on? It's a statistical tool. For a Western society, 20-25 is associated with the lowest rate of morbidity. Being outside of it - under or over - is associated with increased morbidity.

In the article I linked to, the author discussed one of the methods as to why Thai women were so slight ... strangely the method is identical to that recommended by many dieticians (more meals, small portions etc etc)....

Interestingly, Thais are concerned about growing rates of obesity. The cause? A move away from traditional Thai foods to western foods .... should they simply embrace their new size? Change the BMI measure? Or should they just continue to marvel at the enormous size of the average farang (foreign) woman wandering the streets and remind themselves that Burgers, Fries etc are just bad?

I don't actually believe you're this stupid.

"Evolution" may result in much higher body fat percentages. Is that to be accepted as just evolution?

Or this stupid.

If evolution brought about higher body fat percentages over hundreds of thousands of years - not man, but evolution - and it would by definition be doing so in a healthy way, then yes, of course, that would be 'evolution'. I never said that increasing obesity rates in today's society has anything to do with evolution. Different groups of people have different body structures, but you seem to be basing your idea of what's healthy for everyone on what Asians are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back