Society/Culture Jennifer Hawkins bares all to promote positive body image in young women

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be Susie O'Brien.

Susie O'Brien celebrates real women

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/susie-obrien-celebrates-real-women/story-e6frf7jo-1225816055000

..Go home, get naked, strike Jen's pose in front of a mirror (left arm across the chest, right arm across the waist) and say to yourself: "That's beautiful, because that's me."

...just sit there in front of a mirror for a few moments, with or without the one you love, and say: "You are good. This is what real women look like, and real women look beautiful."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/susie-obrien-celebrates-real-women/story-e6frf7jo-1225816055000

:eek:

IMHO layman’s opinion I think there’s strong evidence to suggest that ethnicities height/size has less to with genetics/”race”/whatever and more to do with nutrition and health of the mother during her pregnancy and obviously that of the child’s subsequent childhood.

Being from the Latin American community I constantly see “ethnic” 1st generation Australian born children who are usually considerably taller than their overseas born migrant parent from countries like Argentina, Chile, Peru. El Salvador (who incidentally have Mayan/Native American heritage to various degree) etc… It’s quite common to come across say,a 165cm (5’5) Argentine dad with a 175 – 180cm son/s (5’10). I’ve noticed the same applies to Asians and their Australian born off-spring but perhaps not to the same extent. I think something similar happened to Greek and Italian refugees from the 40s, 50s, 60s because the older (in their 60s or older) FOB “wogs” tend to be significantly shorter than their Australian born off-spring also.

If height/weight was truly genetic and due mainly to race this phenomenon would be rare and from my personal experience it’s most definitely not. Anglos and northern Europeans conveniently seem to forget that their forefathers weren’t particular tall either in the 17 and 18 hundreds. It’s only because of the financial success that the industrial revolution brought about and one of the by-products of that was a higher standard of living which has enabled northern Europeans to shoot up height-wise. Honestly I think it’s bit daft to simply think “caucasians” are inherently meant to be taller/bigger than everybody else, and reeks slightly of a misplaced superiority complex.

Good points:thumbsu: I've often wondered that about immigrant families, especially indigenous groups. Once their surroundings, and especially their diets, change, it seems to be noticable in their offspring as you said.

Diet's the key wherever you go, though. Check this out about obesity problems within China itself, for instance.

http://www.naturalnews.com/020042.html

Experts blame the Chinese obesity epidemic on lifestyles that include less exercise and increased meat consumption and car use. Today there are 20 million cars on the roads in China; six years ago there were only 6 million. Chinese people also increased their dietary intake of meat from 8 percent in 1982 to 25 percent in 2002, which experts warn could result in an upcoming epidemic of heart disease or diabetes.
"China was once considered to have one of the leanest populations, but it is fast catching up with the west," writes Wu Yangfeng of the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences. "Disturbingly, this has occurred in a remarkably short time."

I was in China in 2006, and was surprised by the amount of McDonalds and KFC outlets that were around, especially in Xi'an (where the terracotta warriors were found). I don't mind my U.S-style takeaway, but compared to Chinese food (well, some of it! Couldn't get used to testicles and entrails) Quarter Pounders and Zingers are just shite.

Again, back to my original question: where is it that the government is promoting being overweight? Seems none of the women on that board are fat chicks, and the head of the Butterfly Foundation had two daughters with anorexia.

So I'd love to know how the government is fostering some fat chick conspiracy.

C'mon gravy, you are buying this spin hook line and sinker.

When the government starts providing pro-active guidelines to teachers and the clothing industry to "promote positive body image messages" in the context of the ongoing debate in Oz about whats healthy and what isn't you can't seriously expect that this isn't an attempt to label the Hawkins' of this world in a negative light, can you?

I mean cut through all the high sounding platitudes.

We live in a country in which the government has tried twice to pass a piece of legislation entitled the 'Fairer Health Insurance Bill' - which seeks to reduce rebates (for most) and increase surcharges for those who opt out. Noone gets more. Thats FAIRER how?

Surely spin is something you can read through?

When the government starts providing pro-active guidelines to teachers and the clothing industry to "promote positive body image messages" in the context of the ongoing debate in Oz about whats healthy and what isn't you can't seriously expect that this isn't an attempt to label the Hawkins' of this world in a negative light, can you?

If it is, then why is a member of that Youth portfolio Body Image deal using Hawkins in the positive body image promotion? If they want to portray Hawkins's body in a negative light, then they're failing. If it was a conspiracy to promote tolerance of being fat, then why not one of the many fat women out there?

Seems to me they want to see less of this:

skinny-model.jpg

and more of this

jenniferhawkins_narrowweb__300x410,0.jpg

Which is fair enough.

We live in a country in which the government has tried twice to pass a piece of legislation entitled the 'Fairer Health Insurance Bill' - which seeks to reduce rebates (for most) and increase surcharges for those who opt out. Noone gets more. Thats FAIRER how?

Surely spin is something you can read through?
I don't see what any of this has to do with overweight adults and obesity.

Yep.....

Pretty much the "go girl" "You're gorgeous" bollocks I mentioned in about my first post.

Tremendous :)

I was thinking of your post when I read that article (or skimmed through it..). She couldn't of provided a better example of what you were saying in your first post.

I was thinking of your post when I read that article (or skimmed through it..). She couldn't of provided a better example of what you were saying in your first post.
For a late 30s mother of 3 she's fitter than most Australian women. BMI in the healthy range.

Or are you saying that there's something wrong with being happy with how you look?

For a late 30s mother of 3 she's fitter than most Australian women. BMI in the healthy range.

Or are you saying that there's something wrong with being happy with how you look?

No doubt, she looks great. Obviously she has a healthy lifestyle. (and doesn't she like to remind us that she is a mother...;))

It's what she's saying. Why if you are overweight should you shrug it off and "be happy"? You can be happy about life etc.. but surely you wouldn't be happy about your health?

If they have no problem with it then fine. But don't pretend that it is just normal to be overweight. For a few people it is in fact normal due to a number of things but for the vast majority it isn't.

There is variance within a group, and there must be for that group to evolve. But the variance is not defined. There are traits which are quite well defined within groups. Skin colour is one. Alcohol, lactose etc etc tolerance are another. So is body shape.

Some groups are more genetically homogeneous than others. The Amish, for example, are highly inbred. Other groups are highly outbred. Asian characteristics are what you see. Caucasian characteristics are what you see. It's not really a difficult point, is it?

No. And I'm not disagreeing with you on this point.

You do agree that their are variances within a group.

Go on. I suppose the skin colour difference between Africans and Caucasians is all chance, is it? There are distinct genetic differences between races, whether you like it or not. It's like gravity. Accept it. :confused:

Yep.

I think it's pretty obvious from looking at Miss Hawkins that she is, in fact, not Asian. Therefore the Asian BMI standards do not apply to her. Sorry.

Yep, I'd already figured that out thanks.

The BMI is a statistical tool. I cannot say it enough. And I can only repeat myself really. If your weight lies outside the 20-25 range, you are at higher risk of weight related issues. I'm not saying she's not healthy. But statistically she is at a higher risk if she is underweight. Basically, what you are arguing is akin to saying that if a smoker does have lung cancer (yet), then smoking could be a perfectly healthy habit. It's about risk.

I presume you meant to say doesnt.

That aside, you are trying to compare the statisical relevance of smoking:cancer to BMI:weight related issues? Really? You are comfortable that they are of equivalent "strength" as indicators?

I am prepared to state, sight unseen, that your 75kg lard arse friend is at higher risk of a weight related problem than Hawkins. I'd put money on it.

She does in fact belong in this statistical group. There is no reason for her not to be. The "20-25 = healthy" group is not defined as those who happen to have BMIs of 20-25. It applies to the population the BMI is based on - those outside the healthy BMI as well (and for good reason, not athletes, like your strawman coming up). 20-25 being healthy would be absolutely meaningless if it was not demonstrated that being below this number was associated with higher morbidity. Fact. It just is. I'm not saying she's unhealthy. All I said is that she's most likely underweight.

Except for the groups for whom BMI is useless (see below). By the way - you keep using 20. In the US publications they use 18.5 in some, 19.1 in others (higher for men). Who determines the cut off and why do you use 20?

There are a couple of groups for which BMI is useless. These include athletes. It does not include supermodels. Jennifer Hawkins is not an athlete and we're not talking about extra muscle mass here. You have set up a strawman. Most individuals are not stacking on extra muscle mass, and are not included in evaluations of morbidity associated with BMI.

Ok. So it doesnt apply to some groups. Fair enough.

However, if you wish to include Wayne Carey as an example of being outside the BMI being perfectly healthy, as Jennifer Hawkins is, then I suggest to you that Wayne Carey's body shape is perfectly attainable and simply what happens when you just naturally 'look after yourself'.

I agree. It is. If you are genetically inclined that way. I played state junior footy at age 18 with a height of 190 and a weight of 91kg - borderline overweight - but had extraordinarily low body fat. Played as a grown up closer to 100 (overweight) but again below average body fat. I agree that for those so inclined (genetically) that Careys body shape is perfectly attainable if you look after yourself. Just like Hawkins. Thanks.

Let's just say it again. This is not Asia. For goodness sake. You are making yourself look like a complete idiot. You cannot compare the body shapes, because they are not the same race! You may as well compare Caucasians to a race who are more heavily built and say that makes Caucasians healthier. No, it is the way evolution has designed the bodies. Asians are naturally a smaller build, some Africans for example are a much larger build, Hispanic women tend to be much curvier, Caucasians tend to be middle ground. Just stop the Asia comparison. It really is ridiculous.

Point taken. We arent fat and getting fatter and hiding behind a whole lot of "healthy" PC dribble. We are in fact finally realising that we should be heavier for our heights and simply adjusting. I feel better already.

And you are actually starting to come off like a bit of a misogynist now.

I dont hate women. Quite the contrary. I do dislike the way that many women fail to take a dispassionate honest look at themselves and instead try and blame shift (excuses). Weight is one of these.

Next you'll be talking about Hawkins having special access to gyms, personal trainers, time etc and sounding like every unmotivated fat housewife in Australia .... oh wait .....

You're single, right?

Hawkins' shape may not be unattainable but I don't think anyone would call it standard. Obesity epidemic or not. Her life is dedicated to looking like that, she has teams of professionals to help her, and she happens to have hit it lucky with genetics. I've got girlfriends who work their arses off daily and are incredibly healthy but still don't manage to have that body shape. She's definitely still thinner than almost all my fairly thin friends. Except the Asians. :rolleyes:

(PS: the group of women are are under 30/haven't had kids/have the time to dedicate to looking like she does is an incredibly small group of women that forgets the rest of reality.)

Name calling - Misogynist. Sly name calling - Single. Blame/Excuses - gym, trainers etc. Yep - you're truly a modern Australian female. Well done :thumbsu:

You make some fair points though. Lard arsed-ness is possibly part of the genetic make-up of caucasians - it certainly is after they get married! Fortunately, living in Asia, this condition is easily avoidable. :p

If there were ever a time compulsive showering after gym would be beneficial, it's now. I think most homes are relatively prudent with nudity. Unless as a youngster you have a girlfriend/play team sports, you're going to have a somewhat warped view of how a body should be due to the internet.

I have cousins whose father is Maori. Despite being state level netballers they are and always will be at the higher end of the BMI scale, with each being close to 6ft and (genuinely) big boned. Fascinating I'm sure, but the point is height, weight and an arbitrary calculation of the two are not the only indicators of fitness and health.

Anyone who thinks Australians aren't getting fatter above and beyond any genetic change you'd expect to see within 1 or 2 generations needs to spend a morning in a shopping centre in a poor socio-economic area. Anyone who still isn't convinced needs to watch the season wrap-up show of The Biggest Loser to see how much lifestyle can affect ones health.

When I was a kid, I had a bike to get to the shops or friends places, I kicked a ball around at lunch time, I went to social tennis after school, I played at least one team sport, and if I was lucky my lunch box had a small bag of chips and/or fruit box in it with the sandwich and fruit. A can of coke or a feed from the fish and chip shop was a treat, and certainly not a daily occurence. I dare say things have changed a fair bit in the ages that have passed since I finished primary school all the way back... in the mid 90's.:eek: Soft parents, fat kiddies with PS3's and broadband - is it any wonder we have fatter adults and skewed perceptions of 'normal'?

The ideal hasn't become more and more unrealistic over time, society has just let many of it's members get further and further away from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She has a healthy/Athletic figure that I would have thought is attainable with the right commitment, surely even attempting to get there is a positive thing?
Attempting is a good thing, but the majority of women are not going to have figures anything like hers, regardless of exercise and diet.
Claiming that because the average australian is overweight should result in overweight covergirls is ridiculous.
Agreed, but there is a lot of ground inbetween.

Yes we might be overweight, but comparing non-Asian women to Asian women is quite meaningless.

FFS this isn't hard. Forget the "Asian" comparison then. I am in a country with far less fat people - on my return to Australia the number of fat people is breathtaking. They are everywhere. We are a nation of fatties and this is best noticed when you get away from here for a while and spend time in any country in which fatties dont dominate.....

I am completely staggering at the inability of some on here to follow basic lines of discussion and debate. Its almost as staggering as the quantum of fatties in Oz.

^ No-one is saying there is not a high rate of obesity in Australia. No-one. What we're arguing is whether Jennifer Hawkins represents what a normal (Caucasian) woman SHOULD look like.

That aside, you are trying to compare the statisical relevance of smoking:cancer to BMI:weight related issues? Really? You are comfortable that they are of equivalent "strength" as indicators?

They are both statistical measures.

I am prepared to state, sight unseen, that your 75kg lard arse friend is at higher risk of a weight related problem than Hawkins. I'd put money on it.

Depends how tall they are. Christ. :rolleyes:

Except for the groups for whom BMI is useless (see below). By the way - you keep using 20. In the US publications they use 18.5 in some, 19.1 in others (higher for men). Who determines the cut off and why do you use 20?

Because I chose 20.

Incidentally, if 75kg fits in a healthy BMI (and it does if you're over about 172cm or something), then you should really think a little harder about why you're calling 75kg 'lard-arse'. If being at the upper end of the spectrum is unacceptable to you, then you should think as anything on the very low end of the healthy spectrum as unacceptable.

Ok. So it doesnt apply to some groups. Fair enough.

Includes supermodels.

I agree. It is. If you are genetically inclined that way. I played state junior footy at age 18 with a height of 190 and a weight of 91kg - borderline overweight - but had extraordinarily low body fat. Played as a grown up closer to 100 (overweight) but again below average body fat. I agree that for those so inclined (genetically) that Careys body shape is perfectly attainable if you look after yourself. Just like Hawkins. Thanks.

No no. You imply Hawkins' body shape is normal. I didn't say it was unattainable, and have repeatedly said it's not unattainable, numerous times in this thread.

I dont hate women. Quite the contrary. I do dislike the way that many women fail to take a dispassionate honest look at themselves and instead try and blame shift (excuses). Weight is one of these.

Yeah. Weight problems are exclusive to women. There are no fat men walking around out there.

Next you'll be talking about Hawkins having special access to gyms, personal trainers, time etc and sounding like every unmotivated fat housewife in Australia .... oh wait .....

You honestly think everyone in Australia can be as dedicated as she is? She looks like that for a reason. Like Wayne Carey.

Name calling - Misogynist. Sly name calling - Single. Blame/Excuses - gym, trainers etc. Yep - you're truly a modern Australian female. Well done :thumbsu:

You didn't answer the question, though. I wouldn't be surprised if you were because you have incredibly high expectations of what normal is. Very skewed.

BTW, misogynist is not name-calling. What I'm going to do in the next paragraph is name-calling. Misogynist is the name given to someone who seems to have double standards and some kind of irrational hatred for women, as you seem to be doing. Go criticise some fat men.

You make some fair points though. Lard arsed-ness is possibly part of the genetic make-up of caucasians - it certainly is after they get married! Fortunately, living in Asia, this condition is easily avoidable. :p

OK. So you are an idiot. And yep, that's name-calling, but I ain't taking it back, because you demonstrate no familiarity with biology whatsoever.

BTW how many naturally blonde Asians do you know?

FFS this isn't hard. Forget the "Asian" comparison then. I am in a country with far less fat people - on my return to Australia the number of fat people is breathtaking. They are everywhere. We are a nation of fatties and this is best noticed when you get away from here for a while and spend time in any country in which fatties dont dominate.....

I am completely staggering at the inability of some on here to follow basic lines of discussion and debate. Its almost as staggering as the quantum of fatties in Oz.
Yes, you can notice it in the street on a normal day and no one is disagreeing with that. The comparison to Asian women is still meaningless. That's like saying - "I went to a Victoria Secret show and because of that later when I went to the feminist rally I noticed that all the women there were hairy and ugly" - well d'urh, they're like that regardless of the comparison!

But more importantly, back on topic, Jen Hawkins does not have a body that most women can achieve. Is seeing it with all its 'flaws' more likely to inspire them or depress them? I have a feeling more toward the latter.

I don't think Jennifer Hawkins has an unattainable body at all. Maybe a better way to put it is that a body which is just as attractive as hers is not unattainable.

I see plenty of women walking around that may not have her precise measurements, but I'd find just as, and often far more attractive then Hawkins who, if I have to be a prick doesn't have wide enough hips/ass for me to consider her ideal.

In regards to flaws, that picture is still very flattering. Maybe HD in some bright light and far closer up would give a "better" result.

Stay in Asia then, if you like your girls looking like 12 y.o boys that is, you won't be missed. Personally, I like my girls to have a bit of badunkadunk in their trunk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back