Injury Jeremy Laidler - Knee

Remove this Banner Ad

McKay on SEN this morning said worst case is six weeks and if rehab goes well could be as low as four.

Wouldn't trust McKay, Cats and Dogs heal faster than Humans.

LOL

I agree on cutting the criticism on Bower. Hasn't done too badly in my opinion. Missed a boat load of football and will come good. Am much happier with him than I am Bryce Gibbs. Gibbs seems to be in no mans land, appears disinterested and isn't taking the next step as far as becoming a legitimate on field leader is concerned. Of course, it is only the preseason but I am a stickler for "how you train is how you perform."

I wish he'd take more of a page out of the likes of several of our boys and the Bulldogs players like Daniel Cross who play like there's no tomorrow even in the preseason.

I do believe that we'll see a different Gibbs this week with Judd coming into the side.

It's going to take time for Bower to get back up to speed - he can do it in the reserves, that's fine. There is no excuse for Gibbs, none.

It's going to take time for Bower to get back up to speed - he can do it in the reserves, that's fine. There is no excuse for Gibbs, none.

The thing for Bower is time is not on his side. He only got a 1 year contract extention so he would want to pull his finger out. Besides losing his opponent on the lead, bad decsion making etc. he needs to get more agression into his game. He is a big boy and needs to throw his weight around, which he just does not want to do.

Would rather game time going into kids like Watson etc as TheGeneral said.

I really don't want Gibbs or any of our other elite talents putting in more that 40% efforts in totally pointless pre-season games. Happy if they just run around a bit and get a few touches - not much more. Yarran's barely got out of 2nd gear either. He doesn't need to. These games are for the rookies are fringe players to have a real crack and put their hands up.

:)

I really don't want Gibbs or any of our other elite talents putting in more that 40% efforts in totally pointless pre-season games. Happy if they just run around a bit and get a few touches - not much more. Yarran's barely got out of 2nd gear either. He doesn't need to. These games are for the rookies are fringe players to have a real crack and put their hands up.

:)

Boy I can;t wait to see what Yarran can do this year, look forward to his further improvement.

Best of luck to Laids :thumbsu:

You need help if you're happier with Bower.

Bower's defensive side has all but disappeared since he played well on Cloke, Franklin and Kennedy four or five years ago.

I'd rather play Watson as the loose man because he can mark and use the ball well.

I'd say you need help if you think Watson is better at defending than Bower... Needs another year in the VFL.

I said as the loose man.

Watson's disposal and reading of the play ticks more boxes than Bower.

If Casboult's improved mobility is anything to go by, then Watto's third season should be the year we start to expect something from him.

In my heart of hearts, I still feel that an injury free Mark Austin was a better tall prospect than Bower. Versatile KPP who is legit KPP size with better hands and disposal. Cordy was a fan of his athletic potential. Austin is another player who just can't stay on the park.

Mark Austin Shoulder 3 Weeks

Damn it Laider is a solid contributor in our backline. Hopefully someone else fills the void for those six weeks. Surely it's Bower's time to step up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL

I agree on cutting the criticism on Bower. Hasn't done too badly in my opinion. Missed a boat load of football and will come good. Am much happier with him than I am Bryce Gibbs. Gibbs seems to be in no mans land, appears disinterested and isn't taking the next step as far as becoming a legitimate on field leader is concerned. Of course, it is only the preseason but I am a stickler for "how you train is how you perform."

I wish he'd take more of a page out of the likes of several of our boys and the Bulldogs players like Daniel Cross who play like there's no tomorrow even in the preseason.

I do believe that we'll see a different Gibbs this week with Judd coming into the side.

With juddy back in the side i suspect guys will be much more professional and competitive.

Why would Gibbs floating across half-back and racking up easy numbers and using his excellent disposal be a bad notion?

He's better used off a wing IMO, but half-back isn't some sort of no-mans land.

Totally agree. With Laids out for a stretch, Jammo and Duigs still coming, there may be a need for a General down back. Nothing at all wrong with Gibbs assuming the role. Thornton would seem the most obvious option if we can have Hammer and Jarrad on deck. (1AW swanning in). Although would be an either/or with those 2. If Russell has a role it is in defence, although he, Bower and Army seem quite a way off. While most of us (me included) don't believe he is top 22, Davies is certainly a fav of Ratts and well in the mix.
I also am a little on the pro Watson bandwagon. Not currently best 22, but......... in the right role, will do the 3rd tall job at least as well as Bower. People fail to recognise that his perceived failures are when isolated deep, on the power forwards. He is the future, lets get him comfortable with the first grade boys so that if Jammo or Hendo go down during the season, we have a replacement with P plates not L's.

Totally agree. With Laids out for a stretch, Jammo and Duigs still coming, there may be a need for a General down back. Nothing at all wrong with Gibbs assuming the role. Thornton would seem the most obvious option if we can have Hammer and Jarrad on deck. (1AW swanning in). Although would be an either/or with those 2. If Russell has a role it is in defence, although he, Bower and Army seem quite a way off. While most of us (me included) don't believe he is top 22, Davies is certainly a fav of Ratts and well in the mix.
I also am a little on the pro Watson bandwagon. Not currently best 22, but......... in the right role, will do the 3rd tall job at least as well as Bower. People fail to recognise that his perceived failures are when isolated deep, on the power forwards. He is the future, lets get him comfortable with the first grade boys so that if Jammo or Hendo go down during the season, we have a replacement with P plates not L's.

Well put Coona:thumbsu:

Exactly which part of you B & S? :eek:
I wouldn't be exactly shocked if that were to be the case, but that would make for a terrible notion.

As others have said, Thornton is the best candidate to fill the gap left by Laidler for a few weeks at least.

Re Thornton, yes he is an option but it depends on the opposition, we have options, Davies, Gibbs even Russell

Agree with Harks re: Thornton......Simon White (if fit) may be another pinch hitter there. Poor lad has been thrown to the wolves and had to play on the big Gorillas in the past but may be much better in a 3rd tall role.

Agree with Harks re: Thornton......Simon White (if fit) may be another pinch hitter there. Poor lad has been thrown to the wolves and had to play on the big Gorillas in the past but may be much better in a 3rd tall role.

Ive really liked what White has shown in the past.

Suprised he hasnt been getting any games during the NAB, is he injured?

Ill probably get shot down here but I honestly I would prefer White as a third tall than Bower. I think he has a much better spoil and isnt afraid to put his body on the line or drop in a hole.

Laidler is obivously in the best 22 and the prefered third tall with Jamo and Henderson. However I think people are forgetting Bowers ability to mark off opposition kicks. We have enough depth to cover this injury.

We do have depth but not of the Laidler variety.
I have him in our most important 10 players and that isn't easy to cover, whichever way you go about it.

Agreed. As soon as he went down on Sunday I was thinking the same thing. We don't have anyone who does what Laids does.

He brought the efficiency, accountability and composure to our back line that we were sorely missing. Very smart footballer.

It sucks that we won't see Laids out there for a little while. In just one season not only has he forced his way in to the side, he's also become an integral part of our backline.

Let's be thankful it's only a 6 week injury. Initially it looked a hell of a lot worse than that, and I feared for his season.

Certainly not an easy person to replace as his composure, defensive ability and skills with ball in hand are quite outstanding. Simon White would be a good replacement, but he's nowhere to be seen at the moment, so that seems quite unlikely. Bower is certainly an option as well.

If it were up to me, I'd be sending Gibbs into the backline. We all want to see him further up the ground, and that will happen in time. However, at this stage Bryce seems the logical candidate to go down back. He can take the 3rd tall forward, he can run off them and he can use the football. Gibbs is one of if not the best user of the ball at the club, and his precision kicking out of the backline is a weapon.

Thornton is definitely an option but I'd prefer him up forward. Not many at the club can take a grab like Bret, so he can be a huge asset to us in the forward line and showed that at times last season. I think Thornton's days down back are largely over, unless we get desperate. With Laidler out I'd prefer Thornton on a forward flank and Gibbs on a back flank, rather than the other way around.

It sucks that we won't see Laids out there for a little while. In just one season not only has he forced his way in to the side, he's also become an integral part of our backline.

Let's be thankful it's only a 6 week injury. Initially it looked a hell of a lot worse than that, and I feared for his season.

Certainly not an easy person to replace as his composure, defensive ability and skills with ball in hand are quite outstanding. Simon White would be a good replacement, but he's nowhere to be seen at the moment, so that seems quite unlikely. Bower is certainly an option as well.

If it were up to me, I'd be sending Gibbs into the backline. We all want to see him further up the ground, and that will happen in time. However, at this stage Bryce seems the logical candidate to go down back. He can take the 3rd tall forward, he can run off them and he can use the football. Gibbs is one of if not the best user of the ball at the club, and his precision kicking out of the backline is a weapon.

Thornton is definitely an option but I'd prefer him up forward. Not many at the club can take a grab like Bret, so he can be a huge asset to us in the forward line and showed that at times last season. I think Thornton's days down back are largely over, unless we get desperate. With Laidler out I'd prefer Thornton on a forward flank and Gibbs on a back flank, rather than the other way around.

I think we are a little lucky we have Richmond and the Lions (minus J. Brown) the first two weeks (when Laidler would be most likely missing). Richmond has two big boys in Riewoldt and Vickery, but little tall firepower after those two. Miller would prob be their next tall, and I don't see him ripping any team apart. I also don't see a huge issue with their resting ruckman, Maric isn't exactly a huge threat .........

Brisbane, minus Clark and Brown, also won't be fielding the tallest of forward lines. I would expect that Lisle will be playing KPF, and Karnezis isn't exactly Butcher ......... Their main weapon would be a resting Leuy, but that would take A LOT away from their ruck department, leaving Kreuzer/Hampson to run wild.

We will need Laidler, Henderson and Jamison firing for rd 3 if we want to challenge Collingwood, but I think we should still have Richmond and the Lions covered. I would actually like to give Watson a chance as 3rd tall for the first week or two. Try and get some confidence into him and use that cannon of a boot of his. Alternatively Bower would be my man. Set him as a loose 3rd man, coming over to help out against Riewoldt/Vickery and allow him to run out of defence.

I know Gibbs would do fill the roll well, but I don't want to rob Peter to feed Paul. If we are determined to have him play in the midfield/forward then he needs to settle into that role, not be used as a stop-gap for injuries. Sure if we try Bower down back and he is getting slaughtered then move Bower onto a wing as a link up player and Gibbs down back as a backline general, but use it as a second option not a quick fix. The season is long and our star players need to settle into the roles they will be playing come finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back