Recommitted Jesse hogan puts contracts talks on hold... [re-signed until end of 2019]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laugh in your faces, and behind the door they just showed you out of.

Hogan has achieved NOTHING of note.

He is, to this day, merely a highly regarded player that may turn in to a star.

Fyfe IS a star.

So you want them to swap the best player (or near to it) in the game, for someone that MIGHT be a great player for them. Why? Because they'll get a couple extra years out of Hogan?

'Our kid is So good, we'll straight swap him for the best player in the game....'

Overrated, delusional nonsense.

Pick 3 is not enough and Fyfe is too much. Pick 3 and some expendable Freo player won't get done either.

Not good enough I'm afraid. You will need to create a ranty thread on the main board to vent your disgust :$
Superb post :D
Pick 3 is not enough and Fyfe is too much. Pick 3 and some expendable Freo player won't get done either.
What about Ibbotson, as one supporter suggested, as the steak knives. He's achieved SOMETHING of note because he made an AA squad a few years ago and he's old and therefore proven, so he must have value as steak knives. I've never seen him play but that makes sense right? :straining:

Not a chance.

Fyfe is the best player in the game.

Hogan is a promising player about to enter his prime.
Fyfe won his Brownlow in his sixth season of football and is still considered young. Hogan is in his second. Do you understand what a prime is? Just because Hogan lacks the major deficiencies of other young KPFs, that doesn't mean he is lacking room for development.

Fyfe won his Brownlow in his sixth season of football and is still considered young. Hogan is in his second. Do you understand what a prime is? Just because Hogan lacks the major deficiencies of other young KPFs, that doesn't mean he is lacking room for development.

Actually Hogan is in his third season.

Where did I say Hogan had no room for development?

*edit* fourth if you consider Melbourne had him but just couldn't play him....

Actually Hogan is in his third season.

Where did I say Hogan had no room for development?

*edit* fourth if you consider Melbourne had him but just couldn't play him....
He's in his third season, but he couldn't play in his first. I don't see what his 2013 season has to do with anything. We had him, couldn't play him.

He's in his third season, but he couldn't play in his first. I don't see what his 2013 season has to do with anything. We had him, couldn't play him.

Don't disagree with any of that.

Don't disagree with any of that.
I just think that your relativising of Hogan with guys like Cooney and Deledio is a bit irrelevant at this stage. Compare any guy at 21 with a guy at 29 and you'll see the latter has a better career. At this stage, Hogan is 38 games into a career where he started as #1 target from day dot. He has kicked 83 goals and taken 260 marks. There are no major deficiencies in his game, and he is key to Melbourne's future. We gave up picks 3 and 13 for him, and somehow you think he has lost value? Even with any potential go home factor, he has still significantly delivered on his investment and would cost a lot more than we paid.

I just think that your relativising of Hogan with guys like Cooney and Deledio is a bit irrelevant at this stage. Compare any guy at 21 with a guy at 29 and you'll see the latter has a better career.

I agree that it is entirely irrelevant.

I did it, because of a very lazy statement, paraphrased as 'Higan trumps all number one picks of the last fifteen years'.

Well no, he doesn't - he might of course - but I did it to refute a very silly statement.

At this stage, Hogan is 38 games into a career where he started as #1 target from day dot. He has kicked 83 goals and taken 260 marks. There are no major deficiencies in his game, and he is key to Melbourne's future.

I agree with all that.

We gave up picks 3 and 13 for him, and somehow you think he has lost value? Even with any potential go home factor, he has still significantly delivered on his investment and would cost a lot more than we paid.

As I said before, what you have 'paid' for him is entirely irrelevant to what you could 'sell' him for.

As I said before, what you have 'paid' for him is entirely irrelevant to what you could 'sell' him for.
Clearly this is not the case in practice. Tom Boyd, who no doubt you would agree had achieved NOTHING of note (although who knows with your logic, or lack thereof) when traded to WB, essentially landed GWS the equivalent of 2 top 10 picks, solely due to his having been a no1 pick originally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incorrect.

It's a lot harder to fill key position spots with quality than it is the midfield, quite happy to have Hogan.

I'd be happy to have Hogan too.

But Fyfe isn't Cripps, or Merrett, or Viney.

He's Nat Fyfe.

Probably underestimating fyfe's ability to go forward and take contested marks.

I always preferred Jay Neagle to Jobe Watson.

KPPs are hard to find, you see.

A midfielder than Geelong was able to replace and still win a flag.

059149-lance-franklin.jpg

Yes Hawthorn did it with Franklin as well, still doesn't change my point of quality key position players being a lot harder to find than midfielders.

I agree with you on that, but you are missing the point friend.

Quality, is quality.

Nat Fyfe is a superstar.

I could probably find some decent to good to very good midfielders in the draft easier than I could find KPPs.

But the relative rarity of these players does NOT discount Fyfe's ability or value.

And I think you know as well as I do your point re: Ablett was well refuted by Franklin.

I agree with you on that, but you are missing the point friend.

Quality, is quality.

Nat Fyfe is a superstar.

I could probably find some decent to good to very good midfielders in the draft easier than I could find KPPs.

But the relative rarity of these players does NOT discount Fyfe's ability or value.

And I think you know as well as I do your point re: Ablett was well refuted by Franklin.

Quality is quality and Hogan is quality, there's a reason why there's talk about monumental money offers for Hogan.

Hogan is younger, plays one of (if not) the hardest positions in the game very well and hasn't had 14 surgeries.

Would quite happily keep that over Fyfe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back