Autopsy JLT 1 - Melbourne def Bulldogs by 6 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the thing I was most impressed with was how little I groaned throughout the game.

This. Also when I did groan it seemed like the boys have improved at mopping up after their mistakes. Didnt seem to get hurt on turnovers as much as the past few years.

When the Bulldogs brought Clay Smith into the midfield for the PF I raved for days about their depth, casually bringing in a quality midfielder who was a first round pick into the mix.

But everyone has forgotten that Salem wasn't even drafted as a flanker. He was drafted as a nuggety midfielder who could kick. His kicking has improved even more in the AFL, but yesterday reminded everyone, including me, of the fact that he could be a factor in the guts as well as on the flanks. Everyone loves Oli and Trac but whose to say Salem won't become the best of the lot? And we didn't even have Tyson yesterday.

Nice hit out lads like the look of the Dees this year. Just one question thoughts on Brayshaw is he ready to go to the next level?

On ZTE Blade L5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He looked good yesterday. Last year was very interrupted for him so hard to get a read on how he's actually been tracking. Lots of water to go under the bridge yet though.

Having watched the first half replay that was the highest intensity pre season game I think ive ever seen melbourne play. Really seemed like a round 1 game without the best sides. Our tackling pressure was awesome, if we can swarm tackle teams and cause turnovers then we will be bloody hard to stop

Having watched the first half replay that was the highest intensity pre season game I think ive ever seen melbourne play. Really seemed like a round 1 game without the best sides. Our tackling pressure was awesome, if we can swarm tackle teams and cause turnovers then we will be bloody hard to stop
Except St Kilda love to swarm tackle too

Goody sounds like he's trying to have us to start to play our best footy now. No building up to it. Probably that's what had us knackered at the end of last year. However the guys have another pre season under the belt. Also we have Lewis Hibberd and Melksham in the team. So hopefully we'll get some momentum going into the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just quietly, how good was Clarry looking? Clean skills and is looking in great shape.

Joel Smith was impressive for his first game, great athlete.

TMac, just because you've practised kicking on your left doesn't mean you should do it in a game when you have other options...

Spencer looked fit, but clearly will struggle to get a look in.

Salem looked good, but would like him to get out in space to use his kick.

Hope Watts' absence isn't a mystery injury (or mystery shenanigans), if he misses again this week something is up.

We played to a pretty good standard considering it was our first game.

Just quietly, how good was Clarry looking? Clean skills and is looking in great shape.

TMac, just because you've practised kicking on your left doesn't mean you should do it in a game when you have other options...

Hope Watts' absence isn't a mystery injury (or mystery shenanigans), if he misses again this week something is up.

At the end of the Goodwin presser he is asked about Watts and he said that Watts trained strongly that morning and was ready to go. But yeah not sure what the issue is.

Bloody hell the first round is going to be a cracker. We could potentially have 10 players running through the middle; if we can get team selection right for Etihad we have a great chance at winning.

Bloody hell the first round is going to be a cracker. We could potentially have 10 players running through the middle; if we can get team selection right for Etihad we have a great chance at winning.
Fingers crossed. I'm sick of losing to St Kilda at that hellhole.

Yeah Salem is wasted as an inside midfielder. I like his toughness but we need him playing more like stretch than Tyson

could bebecause alot of players know there are many spots up for grabs this year, with there being so much depth. So whether or not it is a practise game or the real stuff they need to show intensity and put their hand up for a gig come round 1.

could bebecause alot of players know there are many spots up for grabs this year, with there being so much depth. So whether or not it is a practise game or the real stuff they need to show intensity and put their hand up for a gig come round 1.

I'd say that's very true
Melksham, Salem, Oliver, AVB, ANB, Harmes, Smith, Brayshaw, Petracca, Spencer, Trengove Stretch Weid and even Vince all are fighting for spots in the round 1 team

I'd say that's very true
Melksham, Salem, Oliver, AVB, ANB, Harmes, Smith, Brayshaw, Petracca, Spencer, Trengove Stretch Weid and even Vince all are fighting for spots in the round 1 team
and Buggy - he was working hard, so I figure he knows he's not an automatic inclusion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back