Opinion Joel Selwood - Is He Ok?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
UPDATE: Cats fans are saying that he has always spoken the same way as he is currently commentating and performing in the media. No need for further discussion then.

I'll start off by saying that I never liked Joel Selwood (going to call him Selwood going forward) as a player. Main contention was with the shrug of the shoulders to get the high tackle. Second point of contention was how he always was able to stand up in big moments and drag Geelong over the line (much like Dave Munday when playing Richmond. heck that guy!!!). You think you were about to win a close game against the Cats and BAM a massive goal from outside 50 or a crucial clearance. Had mad respect for him as a player but he played so well for another team that you just hate him because of it. So with my cards hurled so hard onto the table that they can bounce up and blind others at the table I have one thing to ask;

Is Selwood genuinely ok?

I have listened to him a few times on the commentary team for Channel 7 and then saw the interview on Talking Footy with Yze and it is really really concerning. He is not right cognitively. Not being a Cats supporter I can't really comment if he has always been like this but from memory, there was an interview a few years ago when he injured his leg and the Footy Show interviewed him in his house. From memory he had all his cognition and even with the below interview from 2 years ago he sounds miles different

Now I will grant that maybe there are nerves as he takes on a new position in the media and maybe that type of interview with his brother is has him a lot more comfortable but contrast that with his first question to Adem Yze during the week.

In the interview with Yze, Selwood asks the following question after Brayshaw asks the standard "Is coaching all you thought it would be?".

Selwood: "And Ooze how challenging has it been, you got players on your list that have been to the pinnacle and just creating a game style and also like under your leadership; you know a way forward"

Again, could be nerves and him not being a great interviewer but this is backed up by some of his odd and weird notes during the calls that a lot of posters in gameday threads have commented on.

Last edited:
Assuming this is not a troll, he's always talked a bit like this and I don't think media is his natural environment.

Ripper bloke, though. He was always in the crowd at VFL matches and was always happy to chat.

So I reckon he's ok, living his best life and putting most of us to shame.

/end thread or take it to the Bay, I reckon.

I tuned into the footy show thing he's doing with Cotch, Watson and Brayshaw and was a bit concerned myself. Can barely string a sentence together, then again neither can Jobe after 10 years in the media.

Think it's just how he is.

I actually agree, and its not a troll. Not from me at least.

He's a champion but I do think a lot of the head knocks may have caused some cognitive decline over time.

I take on board what the Geelong fokes are saying though, and in fairness they would know better

Thought he always sounded a little “slow” when he spoke even during his career
Don’t really think he sounds any different now but could be wrong

Either way hope he’s okay in the long term

I thought his comments last night were much better than those in the earlier season games. He's always sounded a bit dull but I think he just has to find his confidence. He and Daisy worked quite well together last night.

It’s just the way he talks. He’s busted his nose a few times so his actual voice isn’t clear to begin with and he doesn’t talk all that clearly. I get the point but I don’t think there’s anything actually wrong with him
Yeah, I think a fair few ex players who come out of the game sound similar as well who do special comments

We like to s**t on them but commentating would be a pretty difficult job as well as they need to explain what is happening in real time without much of a chance to articulate what they are trying to say

The newer retired players haven’t quite got that down pat so that tiny delay is noticeable when they talk compared to others who have been in the job for longer or just are naturally more confident in that kind of role

Wouldn’t be surprised, he’s copped that many head knocks he’s going to have problems later in life. Being a “courageous” player in AFL isn’t actually good for your health. I personally don’t admire it much due to this.

The fact we have an award for it and encourage it too is disgusting imo. Like “congratulations” for the brain damage mate, we will take no liability for it later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wont comment on the supposed cognitive issues, hell the POTUS has cognitive issues.

However when it comes to Joel Selwood's media performances all I can say is for me he does a better job than Mogadon.

With the manner in which we treat head injuries now, it is concerning to look back at Selwood’s career, which is very recent, and remember the hits he copped and also the way he’d often come back on the ground soon after. There’d be comments like “he’s fine, just a bit stunned” or “a touch groggy for a second”.

It’s just how it was at the time, obviously things have changed a lot very quickly.

While his lack of concern for his own wellbeing was quite amazing, you’d hope his playing style of leading with his head has been largely coached out of the game. As much as the AFL tries to pin any and all concussions on an opposition player, I’m a firm believer that by far the best way to minimise head impacts is through the training of players to protect themselves through their technique.

Wouldn’t be surprised, he’s copped that many head knocks he’s going to have problems later in life. Being a “courageous” player in AFL isn’t actually good for your health. I personally don’t admire it much due to this.

The fact we have an award for it and encourage it too is disgusting imo. Like “congratulations” for the brain damage mate, we will take no liability for it later.

Yes and no. And no I’m not just picking a generic argument.

Boxing is a prime negative example because heavyweight boxers in particular get ‘punchy’ but you will often find it was boxers not necessarily who were in a lot of fights but ones who copped some particularly brutal knockdowns in one fight or went through 1-2 very very severe experiences. Ie. Joe Frazier, for example, and to some extent Ali with his Parkinson’s: they often attribute part of their latter year obvious issues with their speech and cognitive function to the Thrilla in Manila.

Others like George Foreman and Ken Norton from memory never had an issue. Lennox Lewis has never shown any signs of any problems and speaks with great diction etc.

It’s hard to tell with NRL players because half of them talk so poorly to begin with. But James Graham was one of the most heavily hit players of the recent era and he also is one of the smartest, gives the most inciteful commentary and speaks well albeit with his thick English accent.

It’s a bit of a lottery

Watson and Selwood are far worse than Hodge or Richardson (who are also s**t).

I disagree.
Richo is terrible. I sometimes wonder if I'm listening to a 16yr old kid with a very deep voice. Neither of these players are articulate or express views in which the listener gains something they had not already known about the sport.

I tuned into the footy show thing he's doing with Cotch, Watson and Brayshaw and was a bit concerned myself. Can barely string a sentence together, then again neither can Jobe after 10 years in the media.

Think it's just how he is.
Listening to Jobe I've always gotten the impression that he shows signs of verbal dyslexia - can't get sentences out, gets words muddled, has trouble finding the term he's looking for, makes up new words that are homophones of existing words, replaces the start of one word with the start of another.
It is... interesting having someone with that affliction in the role of special comments.

Listening to Jobe I've always gotten the impression that he shows signs of verbal dyslexia - can't get sentences out, gets words muddled, has trouble finding the term he's looking for, makes up new words that are homophones of existing words, replaces the start of one word with the start of another.
It is... interesting having someone with that affliction in the role of special comments.
Both are horrendous. Hodge has the personality of a plank of wood but at least he speaks well when commentating.

Jobe and Joel need to be replaced asap, commentary is at an all time low on 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back