Joel Selwood, The greatest captain ever? Really?

Remove this Banner Ad

It always surprises me how Joel doesn't have the respect or standing in the game his longevity deserves.

This was one of those games which may have won over some of those haters though. He was not playing well. In fact, he is probably just about cooked as his reaction and awareness is not there anymore. But the manner in which he still willed himself to contests, not playing for free kicks this time, and helping to influence the momentum in the middle of the ground, it was just a brilliant display in the final term.

He also has the record for the most games captained without a premiership, I think that’s an important accolade and should be at the top of list when people look through his career achievements lol

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That makes Tom Harley the greatest captain ever. Captain for three years. 100% grand final record and 66% premiership record.

That makes Tom Harley the greatest captain ever. Captain for three years. 100% grand final record and 66% premiership record.
Fantastic captain. Smart, strong, calm, made good decisions.
Did have an exceptional team at the absolute height of its powers and that didn’t hurt.
And he was part of the crucial turning around of the culture down in sleepy hollow- and he was one of a number who were pivotal in that.

Last edited:
Calm down princess was just a high tackle...

Selwood continued the tackle converted to head lock well after he knew the free had been plaid to delay Gininvan getting up. It was not Just a high tackle,

Geelong players assaulting a player after the goal.

Both instances of p[hysical; aggression at player unable; to respond outside of of playing the ball. Local football likely to get red card,

Both incidents could lead to an reasonable assault charge. Both nothing to do with the contest.

Good captain, but I'd rate Harley and Ling ahead of him as pure leaders. He realistically needs a flag to even be in the convo. It's like calling a team who never won a flag the greatest ever. Doesn't cut it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good captain, but I'd rate Harley and Ling ahead of him as pure leaders. He realistically needs a flag to even be in the convo. It's like calling a team who never won a flag the greatest ever. Doesn't cut it.
Ling was only captain because of Selwood’s age. Ling said so himself so he basically was our 2011 premiership captain as far as I’m concerned.

I'm unsure whether the OP is assuming Geelong supporters regard Selwood as the greatest captain ever? Even the article quoted by blaisee did not say Selwood was the best ever; it merely posed the question.

Um how? He’s only a 2 x premiership captain. There have been 3 and 4 x premierships captains. I even had to google this bloke cause I’ve never heard of him.

Careful saying this around cats supporters, they tend to think teams not going b2b or greats without flags are the best ever haha

I would say in my opinion … and it’s only my opinion … I would take Michael Voss ahead of them all … he was Brutal on the field and made men walk taller … he’s one guy you’d want in the trenches with you …. No disrespect to Selwood … Tuck … or Cotchin ….
A leader of men, as Leigh would say.

"I have been around footy for about four decades, seen some unbelievable players in the '70s and '80s and more recently Wayne Carey, Gary Ablett snr, Gary Ablett jnr – I'm glad he plays this century, not last I might add," Matthews said with a grin.

"That aside, if I was picking a side from scratch, Michael Voss would be the first player I would pick, of any player that I've seen play in my time in football. He's a winner." - Leigh Matthews

Voss is number 1 for me, although biased. Hodge & Hird get my bonus votes. Hird just had a special aura in the early 2000's.

^^^
Agree with Michael Voss

He was a much better footballer than Selwood and a much better captain

One of the hardest footballers ever to pull on a boot. He was TOUGH and made all of his teammates walk taller.
He was a brilliant midfilelder who bombed team-lifting goals from inside the centre square and flattened anyone who got in his way.
Voss was like Hird or Buckley, but with an added ruthless nasty streak. Everything you want in a footballer.

He had some shocking injuries along the way and overcome that to achieve great things.

Brownlow Medalist... 2 time MVP winner... 3-time premiership captain... (and most people thought he deserved an equal share of the 2002 Norm Smith)

That team was so good they coached themselves...
Pretty easy to do with outspoken blokes like Chappy and Scarlett around and quieter types ie Enright, Corey and Kelly.

Um how? He’s only a 2 x premiership captain. There have been 3 and 4 x premierships captains. I even had to google this bloke cause I’ve never heard of him.

You haven’t heard of Tom Harley? You must be 14 years old! Harley captained Geelong from 2007 to 2009 and the Cats played in 3GF’s for 2 wins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back