Past Coach John Blakey - will not be continuing at North in 2024 - Thanks John

Coaches of the past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Be interesting to find out who leaked this story to the media. It's pretty clear by now that it's not Luff as is often alluded to by people here.

If it's real of course.

I believe the lack of communication part, the being looked over the head role flies over the face of everything Blakey has done in the past.

There's an element of it that is really assumptive, and not really a big enough story to actively refute. We do know Blakey hasn't shown any real desire to be a head coach but I could see a journo wondering how he was bypassed and reaching this conclusion.

There is of course however the possibility we don't have Blakey in our plans for 2023.

I was surprised when it was mentioned in this audio

9:30in

Hmmm.

North Melbourne senior assistant coach John Blakey was left unhappy after not being directly told that Leigh Adams was going to be the club’s interim coach after David Noble’s departure.

Noble and the Roos parted ways this week after a turbulent 38 games in charge, winning only five matches while he was in charge.

While VFL coach Leigh Adams will take charge of the side, SEN Chief Sports Reporter Sam Edmund says Blakey was unhappy that he was both not selected for the role, and then not told directly the club would go in a different direction.

Edmund said Blakey, who is a key figure in the club’s coaching setup, wasn’t happy with the communication from key figures at North Melbourne.

“Senior assistant John Blakey is most unhappy that initially that he was not chosen to be interim coach and then it wasn’t communicated to him that he was being overlooked for Leigh Adams,” he said on SEN's Crunch Time.

“You would assume that considering they got him out of Sydney and are paying him a pretty significant wage as a senior assistant, that most of the time he would be the one that would step up as the interim coach.

“It was more the method of the communication…he was (not told) from the powers that be that he wasn’t going to be the interim coach.

“He heard it from someone else and he wasn’t thrilled with that either.”

Leigh Adams will be looking for the perfect start to his interim tenure when North Melbourne takes on Richmond at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.
WTAF???? This is pretty ordinary if true.

"John Blakey didn't even get asked."

It's not up to John Blakey to choose. It's not an automatic selection just because you're the oldest bloke there. We have Walsh who has been embedded in with them for a while now who I reckon would've fed into this decision.

Whether he likes it or not, Patch is the coach for the next six weeks and he needs to fall in line to support him.

"John Blakey didn't even get asked."

It's not up to John Blakey to choose. It's not an automatic selection just because you're the oldest bloke there. We have Walsh who has been embedded in with them for a while now who I reckon would've fed into this decision.
If Blakey has stated the he isn't interested in the senior coaching role when he returned why would you ask him to fill in..Surely you would get the VFL senior coach as interim to see what he can do.. However if he wasn't told and found out by others then its not a good look for the club.

If Blakey has stated the he isn't interested in the senior coaching role when he returned why would you ask him to fill in..Surely you would get the VFL senior coach as interim to see what he can do.. However if he wasn't told and found out by others then its not a good look for the club.
The radio report stopped short of saying he wasn't told and takes issue with him "not being asked". Anything could be true but it doesn't seem very plausible that the club wouldn't have told JB at all - he had to find out somehow, whether it was a briefing with the coaches or someone leaked it to him first, who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think we’ve found our rat
Old Blakey the source

Hmmm.

North Melbourne senior assistant coach John Blakey was left unhappy after not being directly told that Leigh Adams was going to be the club’s interim coach after David Noble’s departure.

Noble and the Roos parted ways this week after a turbulent 38 games in charge, winning only five matches while he was in charge.

While VFL coach Leigh Adams will take charge of the side, SEN Chief Sports Reporter Sam Edmund says Blakey was unhappy that he was both not selected for the role, and then not told directly the club would go in a different direction.

Edmund said Blakey, who is a key figure in the club’s coaching setup, wasn’t happy with the communication from key figures at North Melbourne.

“Senior assistant John Blakey is most unhappy that initially that he was not chosen to be interim coach and then it wasn’t communicated to him that he was being overlooked for Leigh Adams,” he said on SEN's Crunch Time.

“You would assume that considering they got him out of Sydney and are paying him a pretty significant wage as a senior assistant, that most of the time he would be the one that would step up as the interim coach.

“It was more the method of the communication…he was (not told) from the powers that be that he wasn’t going to be the interim coach.

“He heard it from someone else and he wasn’t thrilled with that either.”

Leigh Adams will be looking for the perfect start to his interim tenure when North Melbourne takes on Richmond at Marvel Stadium on Saturday.

Who the * is talking to this campaigner? They need to find them and remove them immediately.

TBH I thought we were doing Blakey a favour by not making him interim coach. It would be terrible for his brand if it didn’t work out….and if it did work out there’d be more pressure on the club to appoint him as senior coach.

Patch is only really starting out so which ever way this goes it’s good for his CV.

I wanted Blakey to take over, but the more I think about it, this was the right call.

Jesus Christ, who’s the bloke ranting? Sounds like an absolute w***er.

There's an element of it that is really assumptive, and not really a big enough story to actively refute. We do know Blakey hasn't shown any real desire to be a head coach but I could see a journo wondering how he was bypassed and reaching this conclusion.

There is of course however the possibility we don't have Blakey in our plans for 2023.
It’ll be interesting how things play out but I suspect Blakey is untouchable. He’d be an old head with a wealth of knowledge, especially how football departments are run.
And I could see how he might be a little miffed if, people in power, making decisions around him, who simply do not have the football knowledge or experience. Especially without consultation, would be headless chook type management.

But that’s only if the story is true, I suspect it might be a bit of a furphy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back