John Donehue

Remove this Banner Ad

PreSeason1111.gif

When the gif started I had a thought it was the St Kilda preseason video circa 2004.

Agree with the earlier post about looking forward to the improved tackling next season.

Couldn't think of anything worse than re-watching the past season.
It's not that bad if you pick your games / parts of games. For anyone that wants a glimpse of what we could be, watching the first half (only) of the first Geelong game is a good start.

Sent from my Samsung iPhone using Tapatalk 4

Didn't Donehue once kick 100 goals in a season for Geelong?

In which case - strange appointment. We are already one of the most accurate shots for goal in the comp. Sure Taz might benefit a little, but really I reckon we would have been better off spending the coin on getting a tackling coach or something.

It's not that bad if you pick your games / parts of games. For anyone that wants a glimpse of what we could be, watching the first half (only) of the first Geelong game is a good start.

Sent from my Samsung iPhone using Tapatalk 4

Or the entire Richmond game.

It appears that the penny has well and truly dropped with J Mac. He mentions the need to improve his tackling a couple of times in this interview. Hopefully his days of doing turnstile impressions are over. Which begs the question, who'll take his spot on the prestigious BigFooty Whipping Boys list?

http://www.nmfc.com.au/video/2013-12-17/wrapping-things-up

It appears that the penny has well and truly dropped with J Mac. He mentions the need to improve his tackling a couple of times in this interview. Hopefully his days of doing turnstile impressions are over. Which begs the question, who'll take his spot on the prestigious BigFooty Whipping Boys list?

Horse is a nice guy, he isn't stupid either. I think the Didak running around him has been scorched into the back of my retina. His first intention was to corral and Didak took him on and he never put himself into a position to tackle. I think John will help shift the intent from corral to put yourself in a good position to tackle.

He will address his deficiencies and will be a better player for it. He probably doesn't get recognition for the hard work he does, it is the little things that look woeful that stand out in people's memories. He has a lot of upside. We just can't afford to allow these goals to continue to leak.

Yes, I agree that he is a swell bloke and is no dummy. I also rate him as a player, probably more so than many posters on this board. However, his tackling is an abomination and so far below AFL standard that it's not funny. I am genuinely surprised that someone could get so far into the AFL system with such a glaring deficiency in one of the fundamental skills of the game.

Yes, I agree that he is a swell bloke and is no dummy. I also rate him as a player, probably more so than many posters on this board. However, his tackling is an abomination and so far below AFL standard that it's not funny. I am genuinely surprised that someone could get so far into the AFL system with such a glaring deficiency in one of the fundamental skills of the game.

I explained it previously that it was just not our clubs intent on tackling, we have been a corralling side since Scott came aboard. This is probably due to when everyone was young it took 3 people to effectively tackle someone and we got burnt by the extra players in space.

However, we are physically mature enough now that you would have a high expectation on players to tackle well one-on-one.

If our club under Scott demanded better tackling we would have had better tacklers earlier on, Swallow was the only one who tackles well but he was brought up under Laidley and we were one of the best tackling teams under JYD, Donohue worked with us in the Laidley era previously.

Clearly he will have to pump up Dal Santo if we get him. Worst tackle I have ever seen.

That photo was taken from a bad angle alright.

Wellsy was an awesome tackler when he arrived at the club and he has tackled less as years progressed.

Wellsy was around when Donehue was around the first time. We were a very good tackling team under Laidley. If it isn't your focus then it can slip and slip badly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not exactly on topic, but I think we have an answer to this now .... Come on down, Ryan Bastinac.

Worth having a look at whether or not we've improved here. The stats suggest a minor improvement. We've risen in tackle efficiency from 13th in the competition to 8th.

Worth having a look at whether or not we've improved here. The stats suggest a minor improvement. We've risen in tackle efficiency from 13th in the competition to 8th.
In total tackles we've gone from 15th to 13th. Seems the boys still prefer to corral rather than show off their new skills

Didn't Donehue once kick 100 goals in a season for Geelong?

In which case - strange appointment. We are already one of the most accurate shots for goal in the comp. Sure Taz might benefit a little, but really I reckon we would have been better off spending the coin on getting a tackling coach or something.

I'm a bit disappointed that despite this appointment, out goalkicking has been markedly worse this year.

We really should have spent the coin on a wrestling coach.

Bumped in recognition of a great game of tackling by the boys.

Doing your job for ya OP ;)

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Got around to resetting the password just to give this a shout out. Cheers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back