John Winston Howard - what is his legacy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
So 25 years ago today, John Howard was elected Prime Minister of Australia, and would go on to become the second longest serving in that position.

For those old enough, what are your memories of him, and more importantly, what do you think his legacy is?

The first half of the nineties saw Australia led by Paul Keating, a strong leader who was both intelligent and formidable. (His "cultural cringe" speech in parliament is a must see) Few could go toe to toe with him, but I remember Johnny was one of the few that could stand up to him and even give it back. Howard was also a strong performer in longer format interviews on the ABC, normally not a happy hunting ground for conservatives.

Howard presided over arguably Australia's strongest economic era - his time coincided with my university/early work years and I do remember continuous generous pay rises that we haven't really seen since. We also avoided the Asian economic crisis. Many, including me, argue that this was more due to things like the mining boom than any government decisions. I do wonder what things would be like now if he had the courage at the time to invest or at least encourage investment in things like advanced manufacturing, infrastructure, renewable energy or even tech. Australia has certainly had a brain drain over the last decade or so when it comes to these things.

I think we could be so much more as a nation now had he done a bit more there (to be fair, it was more Abbott / Hockey that killed manufacturing). But again, when you look at the overall performance of the economy at the time, it is very hard to criticise his performance. Especially if you view it from the lens of the 1970s and 1980s as opposed to today.

Where I'm probably most critical of him is on social type issues, where he showed poor or no leadership. His cynical response to the Tampa incident and the Cronulla Riots heralded what I see as a dark turning point in the Australian psyche. We have long been proud of being the land of the 'fair go', but I feel his "wedge politics' leadership style rubbed this sheen off a bit to reveal a bit of a mean-spirited streak below the surface. This has only grown with time since. He never really came out and denounced Pauline Hanson and her racism either. I must say one of my most memorable moments of schadenfraude came in 2010 when his bid to become vice-president of the International Cricket Council was blocked; he didn't manage to get the vote of the Asian nations.

So whilst he didn't have that same focus on Asia that his predecessor did, he did forge strong ties with traditional allies like the USA. This did mean going into some dubious wars. I do remember that he was actually in New York on 11/9/2001, that must have had an effect on him at a visceral level.

I recall never really liking him, and yet those years were in some ways my most hedonistic. Maybe just a coincidence, but those pay rises were nice. But that's the thing with Howard - unlike the narcissist that is Donald Trump, he really didn't care if you liked him. He openly admitted that a lot of Australians didn't like him, but they respected him. Pretty good summation if you ask me.

Aside from the aforementioned "what ifs" on the economy and the erosion of the 'fair go', I think his greatest legacy is that the LNP, and conservative parties in general, have now become legitimate choices for the working middle class. Whether it was his Middle-Class Welfare that did this, or the ALP losing its way, I'm not sure.

So Big Footy, what are you memories, and more importantly, what do you think his legacy is?

Negative gearing, governmental lying as a tradition, and the erosion of the small L liberals to turn the Coalition from the party of the right to conservatism and cronyism. Profiting from the mining boom, sold off infrastructure and pork-barrelled the middle class in order to stay in, whilst dogwhistling to the worst elements of society's racism and tall poppy syndrome. Gave us our first political prisoner to avoid Pauline Hanson splitting the dingbat vote. Changed how we look at immigration and refugees, waaaaaay for the worse.

If all he'd done was sit on his hands, he'd have been fine. But the changes he made to Australian society - outside the gun buyback - changed Australia for the worse, in all cases.

He took the Libs from being a party that couldn't play politics at the level of Hawke/Keating to a party which prioritized appearances and politicizing (re, wedging) issues as a matter of course.

Last edited:

So proud of the man. Someone LNP can look towards for guidance. Second longest serving PM you can see scomo trying to emulate him. Will hold him in good stead.

Strong borders
Disarming the rabid hate for our employers (i refer to them as our employers not the rich because I don't hate them)
Supporting mining, oil, gas all which relevant to WA.

The changes to capital gains tax by Howard in 1999, which has resulted in the current housing status quo that will result in my never owning a house unless I get very lucky.
Yep, one of the bigger pieces of economic vandalism we've endured.

Laid the groundwork for the use of division based on race/religion as a political tool, something the LNP has embraced with passion ever since.

Instead of rejecting Hansonism, he basically adopted it as a tactic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Economically, surfed a wave but didn't guide the nation. Missed opportunities due to lack of imagination.

Socially, played a clever hand massively increasing immigration while decrying immigration.

He goes against almost all of my political beliefs, but I will always respect how hard he went on gun control - he is a big reason, if not the biggest, that we don’t have to worry about mass shootings in Australia.

His crowning achievement by some margin and a superb legacy. On the other side as OP mentioned he just luckboxed his way into a once in a century mining boom which had nothing to do with him and wasted it all (to be fair though - almost all governments would have going on exposed form).

His border control/racism stuff was heinous though and set us down a bad path which for mine leaves him as a net negative for the country overall.

I used to hate Howard, how wrong I was, a giant compared to all the nobodies who came after him.
Rudd The Dud mk1, Juliar, Rudd The Dud mk2, Abbott The Pom, Turnbull The Sad Ghost & Scotty From Marketing.

He goes against almost all of my political beliefs, but I will always respect how hard he went on gun control - he is a big reason, if not the biggest, that we don’t have to worry about mass shootings in Australia.
Wow one single thing in a four term government. Speaks volumes of the electorate, or perhaps fed Labor.

Imagine it is 2060 and historians are reviewing the bloke's legacy.

On the plus side of course history will treat his efforts on Gun Control very favourably.

On the negative side he will be remembered as a flag waving war criminal for his role in the Iraq invasion.

On the humour side there will be guffaws about the loss of his seat when he was PM (2nd in history after Lord Stanley Bruce lost his seat during the Depression).

Imagine it is 2060 and historians are reviewing the bloke's legacy.

On the plus side of course history will treat his efforts on Gun Control very favourably.

On the negative side he will be remembered as a flag waving war criminal for his role in the Iraq invasion.

On the humour side there will be guffaws about the loss of his seat when he was PM (2nd in history after Lord Stanley Bruce lost his seat during the Depression).

I think he will be seen as similar to Menzies. There will be a lot of respect for the length of his reign, but there will be the acknowledgement that the benefits of the mining boom were wasted (similar to how Menzies did it with his own mining boom)

I think he will be seen as similar to Menzies. There will be a lot of respect for the length of his reign, but there will be the acknowledgement that the benefits of the mining boom were wasted (similar to how Menzies did it with his own mining boom)

Depends on which historians you're reading Ned.

Menzies toured Nazi Germany in the late 30s and was impressed. He sold 'pig iron' to Japan. He tried via a referendum to ban the CPA, begged the USA for an invite to join the Vietnam War, presided over conscription.

Depends on which historians you're reading Ned.

Menzies toured Nazi Germany in the late 30s and was impressed. He sold 'pig iron' to Japan. He tried via a referendum to ban the CPA, begged the USA for an invite to join the Vietnam War, presided over conscription.

Noone cares about that

Just as noone cares about us running the horrid offshore camps or encouraging situations that saw boats sink.

Even our VC winner, people don't care. Just last night on Facebook one of my friends was recirculating a meme that basically said "no matter what he did, he's still an Australian hero"

Noone cares about that

Just as noone cares about us running the horrid offshore camps or encouraging situations that saw boats sink.

Even our VC winner, people don't care. Just last night on Facebook one of my friends was recirculating a meme that basically said "no matter what he did, he's still an Australian hero"

Aye. You are probably right. ** not good times **

Howard was PM through most of my youth/adolescence, but I was too young and disengaged to really understand anything regarding his politics (except that my parents loved him).

I'll always remember him for two things - the gun control/buyback after Port Arthur and this:

O7DaTp.gif

The GST (bringing Australia into line with most other advanced economies)

'Stop the boats' and all the associated controversy and demonising of refugees.

Gun control (an excellent initiative by Howard)

The capitals gains tax discount and the unfair boom in property prices that followed straight afterwards

Cash refunds for unused franking credits

Workchoices and how much Australia hated that

Punitive welfare measures like Work for the Dole

Neoliberalism, selfishness and the slow death of the Australian fair go. Australia is now a country where if you come from a rich family you'll probably make a lot of money and if you come from a poor family you'll probably be paying for your landlord's mortgage and cars for life.

I respect John Howard but he started Australia on a dark American-style path we are still on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back