Jackfrost

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
After 12 years out of footy I am going to head down to training tomorrow night to check out my local Masters (over 35s) side and have a run.

Just wondering how I should approach this as I have just come off a 85 min half marathon and likely to be a fair bit fitter than most of, if not, all of the guys plus naturally very competitive especially when it comes to running. I hate feeling like I've left anything on the track.

Should I look to back off a bit the first few sessions and stick with the pack so as not too look like a cocky fooker or should I just go down and do my natural thing?

Depends on how high a grade you want to play. If it's your natural to give it all, then why change? People will realise that's a handy asset

I'm surprised its still happening this time of year? It's a team game, and a footy club not a running club. Stick with the boys.
Sounds more like fitness maintenance rather than pre-season ;)
I suppose I also have to think about injury as although I've been running long and fast I haven't actually been doing any real sprint and definitely not repeat sprint work except for rounds on the pads

Sounds more like fitness maintenance rather than pre-season ;)
I suppose I also have to think about injury as although I've been running long and fast I haven't actually been doing any real sprint and definitely not repeat sprint work except for rounds on the pads

I'd stick with the group during the group running but give it everything during the drills. Good luck with it.

If you're as fit as you say you are, why play Masters footy?
Join a senior club and play at the top level in whichever league you're in.
Win a proper premiership.
It's about balance more than anything. I work a lot of weekends so once a fortnight is going to be easier to balance, training once a week is appealing as I train in Muay Thai 2x per week and have a young family as well as commitments with night meetings for work and my local resident's association.
That being said who knows what will happen once I get a taste for it again.

Fair enough.
I had similar thoughts three years ago about playing again after years out, "Might do some training, play a few games this year, see what happens..." Ended up loving it all over again, the mateship, etc, and the match fitness of playing full games all season at my age (41).

As an aside, wouldn't the Amateurs be the top level below the WAFL? (In Perth, that is.)

As an aside, wouldn't the Amateurs be the top level below the WAFL? (In Perth, that is.)
Yeah, the WAAFL is. What club are you playing for, Jackfrost?

I really like starting at a new club. I dunno, I've only made the switch once, but it's just good fun getting to know everyone – plus having a kick after a long off-season is always fun. I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.

And run with the group, don't be a hero. The self anointed heroes will be jealous and hate you, and the decent blokes will think you're a self-serious doucher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back