Player Watch Jordan De Goey (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think about it, you could say the same about Dusty, the difference being that he has the people around him to make it work. I'm not disputing what you say at all, but having that front runner who can cause damage can work if the structures around him support that

The difference is Dusty is MUCH MUCH MUCH better as a midfielder.

He's a better forward. Thats my opinion.

That’s not saying much because he’s a pretty average forward unless the balls coming in on his terms. He’s a poor overhead mark, relies on his strength to gain separation and doesn’t work over his opponent with his legs.

For instance this weekend I’m pretty confident he cops Petty when in attack. What he should be doing is pushing up the ground whenever possible and then gaining separation on the way back in. It relies on Mihocek and Cameron making Lever and May accountable, but it’s the only way he’ll hit the scoreboard in a meaningful way.

It’s no coincidence that he’s kicked 10 of his 18 goals in the two matches where he had perfect matchups (v Bonar and Plowman) where he had them on the lead and for strength. Unfortunately he’s a mid if he’s going to be a good footballer and I don’t think he has the desire or application to see it through in the midfield.

That’s not saying much because he’s a pretty average forward unless the balls coming in on his terms. He’s a poor overhead mark, relies on his strength to gain separation and doesn’t work over his opponent with his legs.

For instance this weekend I’m pretty confident he cops Petty when in attack. What he should be doing is pushing up the ground whenever possible and then gaining separation on the way back in. It relies on Mihocek and Cameron making Lever and May accountable, but it’s the only way he’ll hit the scoreboard in a meaningful way.

It’s no coincidence that he’s kicked 10 of his 18 goals in the two matches where he had perfect matchups (v Bonar and Plowman) where he had them on the lead and for strength. Unfortunately he’s a mid if he’s going to be a good footballer and I don’t think he has the desire or application to see it through in the midfield.
I think thats probably more the question - does he have the application, whether as a forward or mid, to actually take his game to a level most believe he should be at.

It is without question De Goey's best footy in his career to-date has been as a forward.
No doubt but I think whoever our new coach is, he’ll be putting the acid on De Goey to elevate his work rate next off season, prove his worth and become the elite midfielder he was drafted to be.....
Otherwise his career at Pies will be over IMO.

I think thats probably more the question - does he have the application, whether as a forward or mid, to actually take his game to a level most believe he should be at.

With the right appointment to replace Buckley I think we’ll get our answer. Whether it be Jordy packing his bags or some tough love. Personally I think he’ll naturally improve in a better environment (on field with how we setup and move the ball and off field without the major distraction of his court case) so if the incoming coach can provide that I think he can still be a good consistent footballer.

As it stands I would be waiting until post 2022 to make the call. I’m tipping we’re bottom 4-6 next year with no youngsters set to explode and our best mids (Adams, Steele and Pendles) another year older so in that scenario we could possibly have two top 5 picks if he were to leave as a FA. We also get to see him under the new coach and without the court case hanging over his head.

Yeah because he is the one that keeps trying to use him to plug a hole in the forward line

Seems to like playing against Melbourne’s midfield, has had his two best midfield games both on QB clashes now. He’s actually put a solid month or so, he’s starting to get some consistency. Hopefully it continues and he becomes the midfielder we know he can be. A midfield next season of De Goey, Adams, Grundy, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Daicos brothers and the kids seems deep and exciting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back