Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is going to be chopped up anyway. Goldsack has all but told us that he came back overweight and that the boys are not happy with him. We can probably fill in more damning details among ourselves than the club can provide.
You’re right.

From my dissatisfaction to now I feel for him.

Public humiliation and all that

No, but does that make it right? If anything Pendles being an arbiter of JDG’s punishment should be held to a higher standard. As all leaders should!

It’s the exact reason why I’m not in favour of this sort of sanction. All it’s done is paint them into a corner with me for the next indiscretion regardless of who it is and it’s disappointing because they were in control. Will people disagree? Of course which is why this sort of stuff is so grey.

I'm not sure we'll ever see Pendles put himself in a situation like this but I'd watch with interest how he and the club responded if it ever did happen. I personally think he'd show great contrition and impose more than appropriate punitive measures. It seems in this instance that DeGoey has worked with his manager on appropriate punitive measures so that's a start, now lets see if there is genuine contrition and a resolve to be the best he can be going forward.

Still doesnt tell why anyone really can explain the justification for $20K, 4 weeks working elsewhere etc etc.

Can't see the justification? Being a bit of a DH isnt enough of a reason.

I have no problems with the club riding De Goey hard inside the club, the imposed sanctions are my issue and the public pontifications
I’m very much leaning to your views here.

Yet I thought the club have done as well as it could of because of it’s felt need to be public seen.

I’d rather have sought an internal Geoff Walsh style solution.

But we are where we are.

Having to change his friendship circles over this is a bit of an over reach. His mates didn't force him to drink drive. He could have been out drinking with nuns and priests and done the same thing.
Communion wine?

Don’t think so

:)

Agreed he would be getting the proverbial kick up the backside for the DUI. That would be my role not the clubs. When his employer was coming to do a hatchet job on him I would be on my sons side
He has an obligation to his employer as you and l do, and if not meeting those then it is on him to start meeting those rules and obligations or face actions that are within those rules that applies to every one.
Rules are not applied equally to All and never will be.
If The punishment is for the DUI only then it’s over the top, but l like many think there is more to it than that. Hence the extra. I am not saying l agree with it totally, but l can understand why there is a need. The team as in players, have an expectation and if that’s not met, actions will follow.

I have no problems with the club riding De Goey hard inside the club, the imposed sanctions are my issue and the public pontifications

If we accept that JDG has lost the trust and respect of his teammates, which appears to be the case, then what in-house and confidential measures could have been taken to remedy that situation?

On top of all this Degoey has hurt his earning Potential for the future he will feel a hit when it comes time to negotiate his next contract.

I really hope this is the kick in the pants he needs so he can fulfill his potential and be a great Collingwood player.

They were told go easy not don't have a drink. 0.09 would sit with him not going too hard.

It was .09 after he'd (apparently) not consumed alcohol on the return trip from the beach so lets not kid ourselves that he didn't give it a nudge, would easily have been .10 - .12 or higher in that circumstance.

I’m very much leaning to your views here.

Yet I thought the club have done as well as it could of because of it’s felt need to be public seen.

I’d rather have sought an internal Geoff Walsh style solution.

But we are where we are.
And I would like more official details of why we are where we are.

Agreed. A simple statement like " There are other occasions where De Goey has seriously breached the conditions of his playing contract and the draconian penalties reflect those breaches". Dont need anymore detail than that.

Still I doubt anything like that will come out because I doubt any of his indiscretions add up to that kind of level. I suspect the club is using the DUI charge to give him an penalty out of kilter with his crimes because the want to play the PR game and have greater control over the playing group. They want more puppets.

I'm happy for any other issues to be kept in-house. While keeping it in-house may skew the perceptions of the penalties associated with the .05 incident, it doesn't burn bridges or cruel the relationship like an open and frank public shaming.

Agreed. A simple statement like " There are other occasions where De Goey has seriously breached the conditions of his playing contract and the draconian penalties reflect those breaches". Dont need anymore detail than that.

Still I doubt anything like that will come out because I doubt any of his indiscretions add up to that kind of level. I suspect the club is using the DUI charge to give him an penalty out of kilter with his crimes because the want to play the PR game and have greater control over the playing group. They want more puppets.

Just how many rolls of tin foil are you wearing on your head right now?

Still dont like the line he has agreed to make "significant changes to his social life and associations"

Show me where he hasn't been acting more like your average 21 yo than someone who deserves such sanctions. To put out a statement like that is just not the right way to go about it for me

I understand I am in the minority and most people think the club should have much more control over their players lives outside the footy club. I think of this as a workplace for these players and the club has gone over the top in this instance. If that was my son I would be fuming over how he has been treated.

I don't know him or his mates and I don't have any context to assess why the club has gone this route but there must be something there to merit it.

It doesn't necessarily mean that Jordy has to ditch his mates, just be more judicious about where and when he does that is my take on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still dont like the line he has agreed to make "significant changes to his social life and associations"

Show me where he hasn't been acting more like your average 21 yo than someone who deserves such sanctions. To put out a statement like that is just not the right way to go about it for me

I understand I am in the minority and most people think the club should have much more control over their players lives outside the footy club. I think of this as a workplace for these players and the club has gone over the top in this instance. If that was my son I would be fuming over how he has been treated.

You have no idea who his associations are... None of us do. The club do and I back their judgement.
I never would have picked Goldy to single out a player to the media but he singled out Jordy. This says to me there's something seriously wrong with that kid's attitude.

Couple that with last year's assault and this year's DUI, I have no idea how you're not backing the club.

The club has clearly alluded to other incidents and his general attitude over a long period of time in its statement.

Ok right so basically he could play for example round 2 if the club feels he has changed?
Basically, that is a real possibility

Drink drivers dont get caught the first time they do it mate. The likelihood is he has got away with drink driving countless times. I would disagree with you and say the average 21 yo male does not do this, they have more respect for the law and more respect for the organisation they work for.

Still doesnt tell why anyone really can explain the justification for $20K, 4 weeks working elsewhere etc etc.

Can't see the justification? Being a bit of a DH isnt enough of a reason.

The justification is they already tried the club imposed match suspension to curb Degoey's behavioural issues. Not only didn't it work, but he's now escalated to reckless behaviour that puts innocent members of the public at risk. The current sanctions are there to hopefully to give Degoey the tools to responsibly manage his career and his own life, because right now he is heading down the Silvia path which nobody wants to see. Not the club, team mates, supporters and I'm sure Jordy himself. And all this can happen whilst he still receives support from the club. A court imposed sanction may stop him from drinking and getting behind the wheel but it doesn't fix the underlying issues as to why he does these things.

What doesn't need to happen is what you appear to be doing, which is minimising the situation. Isolating the DUI offence and trying minimise that "He wouldn't have been that drunk" "he's just a DH" is the rationalization that prevents people from addressing the core issues, which are why Degoey acts in such a self destructive manner and what measures - however draconian they appear - can we take to save this guy. You may think that they're extreme but maybe due to the spiral he is in, they are the measures needed.

To repeat my question - what is it that media managers do?

I'm sure there'd be plenty of roles such as preparing media releases, preparing reports, vetting discussion points for those who do front the media, training of players and staff in media, maintaining media profiles (web, app, facebook, etc), preparing/vetting articles released to the media. Fronting the media wouldn't appear to be one of them.

On top of all this Degoey has hurt his earning Potential for the future he will feel a hit when it comes time to negotiate his next contract.

I really hope this is the kick in the pants he needs so he can fulfill his potential and be a great Collingwood player.

IF he gets another one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back