Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how everyone and the media talks like Collingwood is the only 1 of 18 clubs with no cap space

Like, how are teams like Geelong, GWS, Richmond, Melbourne and Sydney not bursting at the seams?

I always wondered if the figures journalists put out there are heavily inflated because if they were legitimate, then every club in the comp would be over their cap.

Like, it's always alleged that Grundy is on a million dollars a year or even 950K, but that seems beyond financially irresponsible for a club to pay around 10% of its annual cap to ONE player out of 40 or so. I feel like the real figures for AFL players is much lower than we're told.
Max Gawn if the only player I can recall publicly challenging a journo over his reported wage

it is correct. No club can match if they don’t have to cap space. Fact
No it’s not. GWS matched Geelongs offer for Cameron and they didn’t have the space. They were prepared to shed other players in the trade period if it turned out that he was happy to stay for the same money as Geelong offered (and they did try to convince him to stay)

ok, whatever you reckon mate.
I look forward to the day a club gets it wrong then, as the AFL has “no rule” about it.
thanks for your time.
If you want to run me through the process of how a club can demonstrate or prove it's cap position during FA period, before lists are finalised, I am all ears.

Until then, keep imagining.

Yes, but for a different reason than you're suggesting. If Hawks had've matched Sydney's bid for Buddy, Buddy may have said thanks and left them with a contract they didn't want to pay. Or Sydney may not have been willing to pay much in trade, thus leaving Hawks with the huge contract. They didn't match because they decided not to, not because the AFL looked at their books and said they couldn't.

every single player contract gets signed off by the AFL (role previously held by Ken Wood)

If you want to run me through the process of how a club can demonstrate or prove it's cap position during FA period, before lists are finalised, I am all ears.

Until then, keep imagining.

you do understand every players contract is approved and signed off by the AFL? (Role was previously held by Ken Wood)
Every trade during trade period, is approved by the AFL? for fairness in the trade transaction AND for salary cap purposes.
Though we are now getting slightly off track.
Side swipe, you're an interesting character, I don't understand why you get personal.
With all the imagining comments. Strange
Until then. Have a nice day.

I wonder how the matching process works if we have behavioural clauses?

Like surely Jordy would need to agree to them? Or would a match mean a plain and simple contract?

....maybe JDG is going to "agree" to join another team at the rate we offered him, get us to match as a way to avoid the additional clauses :drunk:

you do understand every players contract is approved and signed off by the AFL? (Role was previously held by Ken Wood)
Every trade during trade period, is approved by the AFL? for fairness in the trade transaction AND for salary cap purposes.
Side swipe, you're an interesting character, I don't understand why you get personal.
Oh Jeez. Batten down the hatches!

Oh Jeez. Batten down the hatches!
I like how he is still arguing with Sidey, and completely ignored the example of GWS matching an offer they couldn’t afford to at the time on Cameron that I provided.

That’s some quality blinker action there.

If I got personal it would be a bit more personal. Go read the rules. Explain the mechanism about cap reconciliation during the FA period?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With the lived history of November 2020 to November 2021 and the reporting of the JDG Bali story (hot on the heels of the NY punishment) it’s a fair assumption to make, IMO. A lot of the rhetoric indicated that as a club the only person with the emotional intelligence to handle things in a positive way was McRae who was more concerned about the individual. Anderson in particular gave me little confidence in the board with his messaging. None of it was inherently poor it was just at odds with the senior coach…

FWIW I do have faith that’s been the thought process within the FD primarily because it always seemed the obvious play once word of the contract being pulled came to light. It’s why I was critical of the information shared by BEEG I have just always assumed the current FD were to smart to operate the way it was suggested they had/ would. On the basis of what sideswipe has shared re Licuria needing to talk people off the ledge I’m not yet convinced the club is fully aligned. Regardless though what I can’t escape is that the current board’s attitude toward governance is different to the McGuire lead boards. Pros and cons to both I guess.

Fly from what I have heard is absolutely amazing leader and could be the best thing to happen to Collingwood since the Eddie/MM team 20 years ago.

Nothing has changed.

Jordy wants to be a Magpie.
Fly wants him to be a Magpie.

Wright and the board have pulled the contract and offered Jordan a huge pay cut to stay, happy for him to leave.

Jordan within his circle has always said its a business and about the money and won't take the unders deal offered.

I'm not sure what other clubs have even offered, I know that both Geelong and Stkilda are interested.

Will the club cave if Grundy goes? Will Jordan cave if offers from Saints and Cats don't match upto what he is expecting?

Still a bit to play out but Jordan's own words are.. I won't take the low ball deal offered and the club hasn't moved on that, right now he is still gone.

People will pick apart my post that's exactly what's happening behind closed doors.

Last edited:
Fly from what I have heard is absolutely amazing leader and could be the best thing to happen to Collingwood since the Eddie/MM team 20 years ago.

Nothing has changed.

Jordy wants to be a Magpie.
Fly wants him to be a Magpie.

Wright and the board have pulled the contract and offered Jordan a huge pay cut to stay, happy for him to leave.

Jordan within his circle has always said its a business and about the money and won't take the unders deal offered.

I'm not sure what other clubs have even offered all I know is that both Geelong and Stkilda are interested.

Will the club cave if Grundy goes? Will Jordan cave if offers from Saints and Cats don't match upto what he is expecting?

Still bit to play out but Jordan's own words are.. I won't take the low ball deal offered and the club hasn't moved on that, right now he is still gone.

People will pick apart my post that's exactly what's happening behind closed doors.
So if DeGoey plays well in the finals, in part he's trying to impress other clubs? Odd dynamic.

Hope the Board/ Wright listen to the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contracts are not simply a dollar amount for each year of service - like a salary in the corporate world. There would be variables such as minimum match payments, and potentially bonuses for performance metrics, minimum games played, score involvements, etc. Therefore, a players' earnings from one year to the next can be quite varied. For example, I would be amazed if Grundy was receiving as much by sitting on the sidelines than if he was in the coaches votes playing each week. In addition, there would almost certainly be a clause that would allow the club some flexibility in the amount of base offered each year to provide the club some ability to adhere to the rules of the TPP scheme. This might be amortized over the life of the contract so that the player was no worse off. On that basis, proving a club's ability to be able to comply with the TPP and cap rules would be an onerous prospect and may, as others have stated, rely on selective list management to achieve should a key player need to be offered more 'generous' terms.

So if DeGoey plays well in the finals, in part he's trying to impress other clubs? Odd dynamic.

Hope the Board/ Wright listen to the coach.

I have said to my source wtf happens if DeGoey wins a Norm Smith are they club going to continue to offer him pennys on the dollar because of the Bali trip.

He couldn't really give me an answer because even DeGoey himself is really confused but he is fit and wants win flag that's all we can ask for.

I have said to my source wtf happens if DeGoey wins a Norm Smith are they club going to continue to offer him pennys on the dollar because of the Bali trip.

He couldn't really give me an answer because even DeGoey himself is really confused but he is fit and wants win flag that's all we can ask for.
Fair enough - is the Board unanimous or split?

Fair enough - is the Board unanimous or split?

The board back in Wright and he is the man who is making these decisions, we saw what happened when our president made Collingwood his supercoach team.

I'm confused and I know DeGoey is confused aswell because he doesn't want to go anywhere but won't take unders, Fly wants him to stay desperately.

Grundy I have no connection or source too, I seriously can't see us losing both.

The board back in Wright and he is the man who is making these decisions, we saw what happened when our president made Collingwood his supercoach team.

I'm confused and I know DeGoey is confused aswell because he doesn't want to go anywhere but won't take unders, Fly wants him to stay desperately.

Grundy I have no connection or source too, I seriously can't see us losing both.
Surely Wright must err on the side of what is going to help us win our next flag.
He may have his deep down preference to move JDG on, but if Fly and the rest of the coaches want JDG because he makes us better and the playing group are in the same vein, I can’t see GW give JDG his marching orders. Won’t go down well and surely create divisions amongst the group as a whole.
Still believe he signs on and stays.

Hoping DeGoey finishes the season on a good note - Fly sits down with Wrighty - gets it done with clauses a St Kevin's kid can understand with a $ penalty that doesn't mean much in after tax $ to JDG but helps our cap

Surely Wright must err on the side of what is going to help us win our next flag.
He may have his deep down preference to move JDG on, but if Fly and the rest of the coaches want JDG because he makes us better and the playing group are in the same vein, I can’t see GW give JDG his marching orders. Won’t go down well and surely create divisions amongst the group as a whole.
Still believe he signs on and stays.

I do agree.

However maybe Wright believes that the monry spent on DeGoey isn't worth it and the club can attract better players through free agency?

I would love DeGoey to win a Norm Smith in a Collingwood Premiership team this year.
And then I would be happy to let him go.
Why? Because a Premiership would mean plenty of players will, rightly, expect some higher compensation on their contract negotiations. DeGoeys market value at that time would be above what we should be prepared pay.
If we were 17th on the ladder and the compensation for losing DeGoey was massive, then we would let him go no problem. That we are second on the ladder the compensation would be small, we would keep him, at the right price.
If I saw him have a complete 4 quarter game I would fight tooth and nail to retain him, but I’ve never seen him do it. And I don’t think he can do it.
Will be interesting to see how the club feels, but holding off negotiations is a wise move for now.

I would love DeGoey to win a Norm Smith in a Collingwood Premiership team this year.
Why? Because a Premiership would mean plenty of players will, rightly, expect some higher compensation on their contract negotiations. DeGoeys market value at that time would be above what we should be prepared pay.
If we were 17th on the ladder and the compensation for losing DeGoey was massive, then we would let him go no problem. That we are second on the ladder the compensation would be small, we would keep him, at the right price.
If I saw him have a complete 4 quarter game I would fight tooth and nail to retain him, but I’ve never seen him do it. And I don’t think he can do it.
Will be interesting to see how the club feels, but holding off negotiations is a wise move for now.
If he wins the norm smith, I think he’d be worth whatever the f he wanted 😂

How many mid-fwds play "complete 4 quarter games"?

It would be criminal to let a reigning Norm Smith winner leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back