Traded Josh Bruce [traded to Western Bulldogs for #32 and #51]

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d rather not get into an argument about his worth etc. but I think the key is what is driving this? Does he want to leave or are Saints open/instigating this? Without this knowledge it’s very difficult to put value on him.

Hard to know, but I suspect its because we don't see him fitting in along with both Membery and Max King.

Problem will be a team will folk out a late first rd maybe early 2nd for him well before dogs 2nd rd, so will be the case of who you really want in trade period is where the eggs goes...
That's not the landscape of AFL trades these days unfortunately. I think his value is of an early second anyway. Somewhere between 20-25, just not a mid first rounder.

Well if Doggies dont need him quite sure another team will snap him up
Not sure how you're drawing that conclusion? I was simply disagreeing with the assertion that the Dogs don't have any other forwards with the same scoring capacity. Of course we could do with more KPP depth. If one of our two KPFs (Naughton and Schache) goes down, we are forced to replace them with someone like English or Bontempelli (which hurts our midfield) or with a VFL-standard player like Gardner.

Bruce would be a great fit at the Dogs, and I'm sure the Saints will be fairly compensated if he did leave

Most logical would be Melb with pick 21 as they need a forward
Problem with that is - why would Bruce leave the Saints for Melbourne? Saints can probably pay him more, finished higher on the ladder, and both sides have been starved of on-field success for years. Not much incentive for Bruce to depart the Saints if he's heading to Melbourne, would be better off staying.

Dogs made finals this year with a very young side (which I'm sure Saints are more capable of doing than Melbourne in the near future) and he could earn some pretty heavy coin with us given our salary cap position

He kicked 94 goals in 65 games at GC and could barely play a full season.
You're counting his earlier years when he was a developing KPF. Even Nick Reiwoldt was pretty average until he was about 22. In the season he was traded, he kicked 41 goals in 16 games, including 7 goals, 6 goals, 4 goals and 5x 3 goals. Josh Bruce has kicked 6 goals, 4 goals and 3x 3 goals, for an output of 36 goals from 22 games. Dixon was undoubtedly worth a lot more than Bruce is.

I'm not saying he's bad (I really do rate Bruce) but he's not worth anywhere near what Dixon was when he was traded

He fits perfect at Collingwood, however i wouldnt be surprised if the Collingwood recruitment staff just aren’t that interested.

He would have kicked 50 goals playing full forward for us, and takes some pressure off Mihocek. Also lets De Goey move more freely from forward to midfield as theres less reliance on him to be a power forward.

Would be stupidity to trade him out. Worth more to us than we will get for him. Important to structure, will help King not get double teamed his whole youth and still contributes a solid amount of goals.

If we sent pick 12 we'd want something decent back. Saints don't have a second rounder at the moment which complicates it. Pick 12 for Bruce and something like pick 25-30 back would be okay for both clubs I think. Maybe what they get for Steven?

If we sent pick 12 we'd want something decent back. Saints don't have a second rounder at the moment which complicates it. Pick 12 for Bruce and something like pick 25-30 back would be okay for both clubs I think. Maybe what they get for Steven?
Pass. I understand what you mean in terms of fair value, but it’s just not in St Kilda’s interests to do this trade. I hope the club sees it this way too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem with that is - why would Bruce leave the Saints for Melbourne? Saints can probably pay him more, finished higher on the ladder, and both sides have been starved of on-field success for years. Not much incentive for Bruce to depart the Saints if he's heading to Melbourne, would be better off staying.

Dogs made finals this year with a very young side (which I'm sure Saints are more capable of doing than Melbourne in the near future) and he could earn some pretty heavy coin with us given our salary cap position
Probably safe to say we will disagree I think melb has the upside over saints and dogs and just need to work out fwd entries coupled with a soft draw and players getting early surgery think Melb will be top 4 next year...
Whats even weird is Richardson doing exit interviews and Melb eek

Probably safe to say we will disagree I think melb has the upside over saints and dogs and just need to work out fwd entries coupled with a soft draw and players getting early surgery think Melb will be top 4 next year...
Whats even weird is Richardson doing exit interviews and Melb eek
Yeah doubt you get much love with this comment

You're counting his earlier years when he was a developing KPF. Even Nick Reiwoldt was pretty average until he was about 22. In the season he was traded, he kicked 41 goals in 16 games, including 7 goals, 6 goals, 4 goals and 5x 3 goals. Josh Bruce has kicked 6 goals, 4 goals and 3x 3 goals, for an output of 36 goals from 22 games. Dixon was undoubtedly worth a lot more than Bruce is.

I'm not saying he's bad (I really do rate Bruce) but he's not worth anywhere near what Dixon was when he was traded
Dixon went for 10 plus some.

Pick 15-16 would be around the mark, especially being under contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back