Traded Lachie Schultz [Traded to Collingwood for #34 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 alone (especially 15-18) wouldn't have been enough, but adding 34 makes it a win/win.

Lachie is a gun!
Picks in the 30's and further out seem to be low value this draft, being chucked away by lots of teams.

Be interesting to see how many/few players are picked this draft.

Freo making off like bandits or else I haven't watched Shultz closely enough!

Yeah mate, those were the only 2 years he was on the rookie list

His first 2 years were on the main list (when you are taken in the national draft you go on the main list)

His contract was fine, hawks chased him and pushed his price up

Rookie lists are an accounting exercise for clubs nowadays, you can be on a million dollars on a rookie list, it's hard for being to wrap their head around but it's true

So yes, he was on the rookie list but he was on that list for less time than mihocek was (or equal if he was also 2 years) but even though he was on the rookie list, doesn't mean he was on chips, he had a deal that was raised when hawthorn chased him

So this treated poorly narrative is complete bullshit but people don't want to look into things, they love a headline

Edit: and just addressing that article directly, we moved him up from the rookie list a year early, he was not on the rookie list in 2023, go ahead and check
I did, I checked AFL Draft Guru and that says he was. It Must be incorrect. Lachie Schultz (born 1997) - Draftguru

Picks in the 30's and further out seem to be low value this draft, being chucked away by lots of teams.

You haven’t watched him closely enough I’d take Shultz over picks any day of the week.
I’ll feel better if we use that future first to trade in a fwd

I’ve raised my concerns previously that if Pies do have a dip next year, it tips the trade in Freo’s favour big time. Ie. pick becomes 8-12.

In saying that, do Freo supporters feel it’s still a fair trade if Pies finish top 4 again? Ends up being pick 33 and pick 15-19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve raised my concerns previously that if Pies do have a dip next year, it tips the trade in Freo’s favour big time. Ie. pick becomes 8-12.

In saying that, do Freo supporters feel it’s still a fair trade if Pies finish top 4 again? Ends up being pick 33 and pick 15-19
15-17 + 34 feels about right given the contract status.

18/19 + 34 is not a disaster though.

Last edited:

I heard he's already a better player than he was yesterday 😉

So was Simpson till a run of injuries including key players in your best 22 exposed the back end of a list without access to higher end talent due to a period of rarely missing the 8.
You’re talking about 3 years after you won the GF. The following year you finished 5th.

We picked up arguably the best young kid in the 2021 draft.

People don’t realise there were periods during this season we had quite a few senior players out injured. Played the GF with 2 senior players out injured.

No doubt we have just improved our list. We have kids screaming for an opportunity playing great footy in the VFL. MaCrae for one has been told he will get more senior footy in 2024. McInnes, Harrison, Allan, Ryan will get their chances in 2024.

Great pick up for the pies. Probably paid slight overs as a F1 was surely enough. However pick 34 isn’t really a valuable pick so the only concern would be a major drop off (miss the 8) by the pies next year which is unlikely.

Great pick up for the pies. Probably paid slight overs as a F1 was surely enough. However pick 34 isn’t really a valuable pick so the only concern would be a major drop off (miss the 8) by the pies next year which is unlikely.

It is when your first pick in the draft was 46.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back