Traded Lachie Schultz [Traded to Collingwood for #34 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

Schultz is a fine player and has been good for Collingwood. It's a shame he will be talked negatively about if Collingwood don't turn it around.

Cool story, however, since 2010, the Premiers have finished top 4 the following season in 10 of 13 years.
Sure, but like, what if you filter out the list and only report the ones of comparable age profiles? There might only be one other...

Sure, but like, what if you filter out the list and only report the ones of comparable age profiles? There might only be one other...
I was trying to remember where I had that conversation, you've gone earlier than I would but I appreciate you nonetheless.

I don't think many people had Collingwood finishing outside the top four three weeks ago. Based on where we expected the pies to finish, the trade was just ok at best imo.

They go to Brisbane next week as an underdog, both teams will be desperate. 0-4 will be quite a mountain to climb, but even in that situation, I would back them to finish around 10th at worst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unbelievable foresight? Really?

Half the posters on here were predicting it to be a terrible trade before it went through

Yep. Incredible foresight from Fremantle.

They would have genuinely been laughing in their offices when Collingwood agreed to a F1 + pick 34 for Schultz.

He is worth around pick 23-pick 28 on its own. It was way overs from the Pies, who clearly saw him as an opportunity to "top-up" whilst in the window, and as a way to potentially force Ginnivans hand to move him out.

Fremantle would have calculated it as Pick 18 in 2024 + pick 34 in 2023. Anything more is a bonus. Its now looking like a top 10 pick and pick 34.

Its comparable to the Jacob Hopper trade in terms of what Richmond gave up, yet Collingwood have done it for a small forward who doesn't go through the middle and is on pace for a goal a game.

Yep. Incredible foresight from Fremantle.

They would have genuinely been laughing in their offices when Collingwood agreed to a F1 + pick 34 for Schultz.

He is worth around pick 23-pick 28 on its own. It was way overs from the Pies, who clearly saw him as an opportunity to "top-up" whilst in the window, and as a way to potentially force Ginnivans hand to move him out.

Fremantle would have calculated it as Pick 18 in 2024 + pick 34 in 2023. Anything more is a bonus. Its now looking like a top 10 pick and pick 34.

Its comparable to the Jacob Hopper trade in terms of what Richmond gave up, yet Collingwood have done it for a small forward who doesn't go through the middle and is on pace for a goal a game.
I’d be surprised if Freo get pick 6 or 7 and Schultz was signed for 7 yrs on $700k pa

I don't think many people had Collingwood finishing outside the top four three weeks ago. Based on where we expected the pies to finish, the trade was just ok at best imo.

They go to Brisbane next week as an underdog, both teams will be desperate. 0-4 will be quite a mountain to climb, but even in that situation, I would back them to finish around 10th at worst.
I honestly thought they overpaid a bit at the time. Was only really disappointed as it was a loss to an already weak part of the team.

Anyway its very early days who knows how it will play out.

It was a fair trade at the time
love what shooter brings to the table.
Pies future first was predicted by all to be 16-18 which with father son academy and compo would potentially be pushed back in to the 20s.
Shultz is worth 2 2nd rders every day of the week.
If pies first rd pick is lower than 13 it’s a big win for freo

I honestly thought they overpaid a bit at the time. Was only really disappointed as it was a loss to an already weak part of the team.

Anyway its very early days who knows how it will play out.
You have to remember picks 16-18 arent first rd picks after the northern teams put their nose in the academy trough and the vic teams put their nose in the father son trough.
And north in the hand out trough
Didn’t the 2nd rd start at 30 in the 2023 draft?

Looks like it. Lucky we at least banked a premiership.
I wouldn't get too hung up on not having a first this year either. You burned like 6 of them on Treloar, Stephenson, Beams, and a think outside the box 2020 pick swap in the run up to the 23 flag. They're not the be all and end all.

Schultz is a solid footballer but damn you wouldn't want to give up a top 10 pick for him with an aging side....
Of course you wouldn’t. But he is 25. Should have another 5 years left in him.

But we are 3 games into the season. We are playing poor footy. Still a long way to go.

And if you followed guys like Sidebottom, you would find he has played a number of ordinary games but comes good. Our own supporters thought he was finished in 2021.

Fully expect both Collingwood and Schultz to bounce back, but god dam this has gone perfectly for Freo so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back