List Mgmt. Josh Kelly to North II - It's Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club will undoubtedly be trying to get the deal done (if it is indeed happening) with this years number 1 pick off the table. That is non negotiable IMO. The trick is making it attractive enough for GWS with the above notion in mind.

the time to get KELLY is now.

people saying we dont need him is a croc of shizenhausen.

the deeper the midfield the better the team - just ask geelong and the bulldogs

he is not a plodder - he is an out and out star of the comp

How much is a croc of shizenhausen these days?

The size of contract he has in front of him is the key issue for mine. He’s a star, but 8m over 8 years really is something else. WTF were GWS thinking.

Without knowing the details of our cap intricately, I’d be treading that type of deal very carefully.

Why not just make it 50 million over 3 years and really work yourself in to a lather?

It's just as arbitrary as 8 million over 8 years.

Why not just make it 50 million over 3 years and really work yourself in to a lather?

It's just as arbitrary as 8 million over 8 years.

Don’t see he or his manager walking away from that coin, to a club placed 18th. Based on that, we’d have to match his trigger contract.

Just don’t personally think it’s the wisest decision to be paying a bloke that amount of money until he’s 35.

Don’t see he or his manager walking away from that coin, to a club placed 18th. Based on that, we’d have to match his trigger contract.

Just don’t personally think it’s the wisest decision to be paying a bloke that amount of money until he’s 35.

1) It's currently a non binding agreement between two other parties, and has nothing to do with the NMFC. It is so ambiguous as to have no real worth in this discussion.

2) A destination club being in 1st or 18th position is also pointless. It's still the destination club.

3) This is not a "trigger contract". It's an agreement about a player choosing to continue at one particular football club. It is not a binding, transferable arrangement.

4) Your summation is based upon a false premise of your own manufacturing.

Buyer beware.

The last deal would have been a disaster to this point if we recruited him.

Gaff’s recruitment would have been a disaster had it gone through.

Polec’s deal has been absolutely shithouse.

Martin’s one was just about the only justifiable one.

Id be comfortable paying him $1m a season for about 4 years. Nothing longer. Which is a long way off what he can trigger. We could then front load it.

He’s been injury riddled the last few years. He’d barely have 100 games with the club if we recruited him which should be a requirement for any recruitment of this size imo.

1) It's currently a non binding agreement between two other parties, and has nothing to do with the NMFC. It is so ambiguous as to have no real worth in this discussion.

2) A destination club being in 1st or 18th position is also pointless. It's still the destination club.

3) This is not a "trigger contract". It's an agreement about a player choosing to continue at one particular football club. It is not a binding, transferable arrangement.

4) Your summation is based upon a false premise of your own manufacturing.

Thanks for clarifying.

Points 1-3 would have been sufficient, unsure of why the need for point 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for clarifying.

Points 1-3 would have been sufficient, unsure of why the need for point 4.

It gets to the point where this incorrect thinking is going to elicit blunt responses.

If Josh leaves GWS, then it's not ultimately going to be a financial decision, and I state that out of respect for GWS also, because he didn't just stay there for money either. Money is not going to be the overall defining factor whether Josh stays or goes, and people need to get that point in to their heads before they evolve their thoughts on how this may play out.

This notion that we have just begun 5 years of straight rebuilding is unmitigated bullshit.

The rebuild of the midfield has been going on for 4-5 years now. If we land Kelly & Horne then we are going to be just about maxed out for midfielders.

Agreed. But knowing North, we’ll still be beaten in the middle most weeks by teams with so called “deep midfields”. That’s our trademark.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's wait & see on Comben for 2022, otherwise, why bother investing up to this point? Xerri will also improve. It only becomes pressing if Comben bombs.

The KPD's are sweet.

Comben won’t “bomb”. The issue with him will always be around durability. He may grow out of it, but currently he looks like being a bit fragile so KP depth is something we need to address regardless.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed. But knowing North, we’ll still be beaten in the middle most weeks by teams with so called “deep midfields”. That’s our trademark.

Nah, it's just a matter of time now mate, and if we introduce the right catalyst (eg: Kelly), then the mix will take off quicker and hotter.

There's no point in burning high draft picks on more midfielders that are too good for VFL, but won't fit in the senior side. They will leave and we'll end up in a revolving door situation like GWS.

Comben won’t “bomb”. The issue with him will always be around durability. He may grow out of it, but currently he looks like being a bit fragile so KP depth is something we need to address regardless.

I'm not stating he will mate, but the mids are reaching the point where the next priority would be a "watch" on the KPF's, particularly their physical durability.

My comment was actually about tempering the absolute necessity for looking at a KPF in the 2022-2023 1st round.

I wouldn't trade for him - I do get that he is worth it but maybe not for us.

A top class freeagent and best midfielder in the draft. Nice. Then we need to cover KPF, Small Forward, HBF, Small Defender. We still have work to do on our list and trading for Kelly will stall that.

Admittedly, it's tough to quantify what impact he would have on the development of our other midfielders. Could really set expectations and drive standards etc.

I wouldn't trade for him - I do get that he is worth it but maybe not for us.

A top class freeagent and best midfielder in the draft. Nice. Then we need to cover KPF, Small Forward, HBF, Small Defender. We still have work to do on our list and trading for Kelly will stall that.

Admittedly, it's tough to quantify what impact he would have on the development of our other midfielders. Could really set expectations and drive standards etc.

This is based upon a rational argument of list priorities. Fair enough.

However, if this becomes a Compo pick scenario, then surely it's a must do trade?

JK can play. We all agree on that. When you are a buyer you will always overpay, especially when someone like Kelly has a mil a year he can activate, if the stories are true. So what do we pay becomes the issue. We have the dosh and the bloke is as good as anything we have in our team. Will be interesting to see if he wants to move.

JK can play. We all agree on that. When you are a buyer you will always overpay, especially when someone like Kelly has a mil a year he can activate, if the stories are true. So what do we pay becomes the issue. We have the dosh and the bloke is as good as anything we have in our team. Will be interesting to see if he wants to move.

A buyer never overpays, they pay what they are prepared to pay.

It gets to the point where this incorrect thinking is going to elicit blunt responses.

If Josh leaves GWS, then it's not ultimately going to be a financial decision, and I state that out of respect for GWS also, because he didn't just stay there for money either. Money is not going to be the overall defining factor whether Josh stays or goes, and people need to get that point in to their heads before they evolve their thoughts on how this may play out.
If money is not important why is there an 8 x $1M trigger in the first place?

If money is not important why is there an 8 x $1M trigger in the first place?

I don’t think he’s saying money isn’t important, it’s that it won’t be the driving factor.

Kelly is a Roles Royce and market value will take care of the value.

It will be loyalty to the club that he has spent his career with, a desire to come home to Victoria, a childhood dream to wear the number 14 that shape this tale.

To your point- hard to ignore that he is a shrewd businessman

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back