Autopsy Joy in Longmire 300th Swans by 2 over the Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a point to ponder as some of us feel we're doomed to perpetually languish down the ladder this year.

Had any of those 18 behinds we scored against Geelong been goals, we'd be sitting inside the top 8 tonight. Good kicking can make or break finals
Incorrect.

Winning v Geelong would now have Geelong, Adelaide, GWS and Sydney all on 32 points.

Given %, Geelong would remain in the 8, followed by Crows, then Swans.
25720D8E-E030-456D-B3F8-352E40728357.jpeg

Onya Horse. He's so reluctant to make it about himself and wants to turn all the glory back on his boys. No wonder the players think so highly of him
Nah, I think he weighed up that the boys were exhausted and had left nothing out there, that like all ex-footballers he’s added a few kilos, and then made a quick back-of-the-Football Record calculation that the potential for some highly embarrassing Keystone Cops slapstick was just too great.

Last edited:
Why does it seem to only be a problem in the AFL?

I can hear every question Pat Cummins is asked. Am I missing something here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah look I dunno, I was just improvising.

In the world of AFL, if you want to know if something is a conspiracy or is it incompetence, the answer is always yes.

Last edited:
Horse has lost the players

Papley is already thinking about Carlton. Doesn't try at all

Heeney is poor. Puts in no effort, doesn't do the hard ball

Buddy is useless, why don't we play Buller at FF?

Am I doing this right?
Horse-dropped the right player, named the right sub.
Papley- worked the hardest I've seen for weeks. Was missing against the Tigers when we needed him.
Heeney- even though he didn't do any fancy good to watch stuff, he placed himself front & centre into the game in the last especially, tackling his heart out which pressured the Dog's ball movement.
Buddy-was moving around the ground near the end of the match which once again applied high pressure to the Dog's which stopped them from scoring once we hit the front. Tiger kicked match winning soft goals with no pressure in the last quarter last week.

They did all of this & we got up by 2 points at home. We don't win by more & cough up easy goals week after week because they haven't done the above in most games this year. Horse has made some very bad selection calls as well.

I thought McInerny had a good game last night too. Did the hard stuff without the ball which was great to see.

Yep. JMac was terrific and I have him in my best. Did repeated runs back and forward and agree he did a lot of stuff without the ball.

Horse-dropped the right player, named the right sub.
Papley- worked the hardest I've seen for weeks. Was missing against the Tigers when we needed him.
Heeney- even though he didn't do any fancy good to watch stuff, he placed himself front & centre into the game in the last especially, tackling his heart out which pressured the Dog's ball movement.
Buddy-was moving around the ground near the end of the match which once again applied high pressure to the Dog's which stopped them from scoring once we hit the front. Tiger kicked match winning soft goals with no pressure in the last quarter last week.

They did all of this & we got up by 2 points at home. We don't win by more & cough up easy goals week after week because they haven't done the above in most games this year. Horse has made some very bad selection calls as well.

I don't think there's many of us who could argue we weren't fortunate last night (as we've been similarly unfortunate in other games). I'm certainly not letting last nights win paper over the obvious cracks in our game.

However I'm optimistic that our deficiencies can be overcome before next season. It all starts and ends with the clearances. Even if we break even we look twice as good all over the ground, and absolutely terrible when we're getting smashed there.

The ruck is obviously a huge part of this so I think if we can get some stability in there next season (A fit Ladhams and an improving McAndrew is a good start with maybe another journeyman or surplus ruck from another team as backup) it will go a long way to improving that part of our game. Another preseason into Sheldrick will help too. Still think we could use another extractor in there but also wouldn't surprise me if a fit ruck will be enough to break even in most games like we did last season.

We also obviously need either another KD or a very good swingman who can play forward as well.

Our tall forwards are a concern but I think we have enough talent in our small and mid sized forwards and our goalkicking mids that we can cover their deficiencies while they develop.

The competition is so even at the moment that I don't think we're as far off success as it seems. I definitely understand your scepticism because there are some glaring deficiencies at the moment, but I can see a clear way forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing that’s always notable when you watch the dogs, and it’s even more evident at the ground, is how good they are at what seem to be set plays blocking space for their leading forwards.

It’s the reason Naughton seems to take so many essentially uncontested marks on the lead. Usually it’s set up so his final lead takes him past one of his other forwards, who’ll then step out and block the defender chasing him.

Not strictly legal, but hard to police.

I wish we were as clever.

Last edited:
Dominated the fwd50 tackles count. It's been a big area of weakness this year.

Libba is a rat but imo he was the dogs best player last night. He dominated contested possessions. His ability to win the ball is insane. Hope one of our young mids develop a similar ball winning ability.

Statistically English had a very good game but didn't look dangerous with his obvious advantage. Ditto with Bont who had a heap of uncontested ball & poor disposal efficiency. I thought our pressure & tackle pressure was elite which meant poor ball use from the dogs & allowed us to counter on the turnover. If we're perusing using Mclean & Amartey as our main rucks then we need to have elite tackling & pressure.

Watching live our CBA work was poor imo. Numerous occasions Mills/Parker gave their opponent way too much space before the ball had been bounced. Our players don't know where to position themselves effectively in the centre. I also think we're poor in anticipating the hitout & react very slowly which lets oppositions walk it out of the centre. This is where Heeney can be effective as he's our best player with anticipation skills & our most effective tackler. I'm still not sold on Papley in the centre as he has speed but if the ball doesn't come to him then he's not effective, happy to use him at stoppages.

There's no hiding for the midfield group & coaches if we continue using the same ruck strategy.

I don't wanna say what I thought about our performance tonight because the vibes are impeccable in here and as a fan base I think we're owed it after this season. All I will say is that I hope we prioritise the form and fitness of our players over a pointless pursuit of scraping into finals.

If we make it into the finals (it'll take a miracle) then we're doing something right. Would rather take that then continuing to lose.

He tackled better last night but his role as an outlet target is greatly exaggerated. He is a mid career player and we know his ceiling. He is a B Grade player with good talent, little IQ and an erratic kick. I simply cannot abide small or medium forwards who cannot reliably kick goals from set shots. He does not have psychological wherewithal.

Forwards whose set shot kicking is comical to the Opposition and their fans just suck the oxygen out of their team. Will is a repeat offender who costs the team wins.

If the Club does not put him on the block, he needs a role reinvention. Given he has no aptitude to play mids, he can only play down back.
I don't think it's exaggerated at all. He's the only one that does it. Heeney does do it but not as consistently as Hayward. If you actually look for it, you'll see he does it countless times in a game. Just one of those things in a run of the mill play that people don't take notice of.

Yeah he's got some things to improve on, he seems to put himself under needless pressure when ball in hand of late. But the amount of times he marks, scraps and forces the ball our way, it gives us so much more than what his errant kicks hurt us. We can pick and choose what we want to notice but rest assured the coaches know and value you what he brings, he won't be getting dropped which says it all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back