Discussion Jumpers That Never Were

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that would be great thanks you could also try hosting it on a file sharing site like 4shared.com do people could download it fully

From the IP Australia thread, possibilities for Freo names and logos. Credit must go to Mero who posted and found these first

FreoCourage.jpg

FreoDolphins.jpg

FreoHammer.jpg

I wonder if the purple/white/red/green colour scheme had been settled on before these ideas were floated - perhaps some of those jumper designs in the shots henness posted were for these (henness might be able to let us know, I haven't seen the DVD so I'm not sure if it's clear or not)? I'd love to see some mock-ups for these.

Interesting that the "Courage" logo features an anchor.

imgqx.jpg

North Fitzroy and Melbourne Hawks logos.

These logos were media speculation / mock-ups. Gold was also going to be part of the North Fitzroy design.

The official North Fitzroy Kangaroos logo was going to be a kangaroo and a lion in a shield, holding a football.

The jumper was going to be the North colours of royal blue and white and the Fitzroy colours of maroon / red, royal blue and gold in roughly equal proportions. A Gold Fitzroy Lion was going to be on the breast of the jumper.

The jumper was not to be altered for 20 years from the date of the merger (i.e. until 2017.)

ABC Radio National recently did a 'Hindsight' program on Fitzroy. Their demise is very well documented in it. People of interest are interviewed. Being Radio National, it's barely bastardised or dramatised in its portrayal of the events. I recommend it.

The only problem with the documentary was its failure to recognise that Fitzroy Football Club still exists in its own right and in Melbourne. It talks about the demise of the club and how it no longer exists. It's not true. Fitzroy continues to play in Melbourne and has played 67 games in Melbourne since 1996. The club fields senior, reserves and thirds sides to this day.

I wonder if the purple/white/red/green colour scheme had been settled on before these ideas were floated - perhaps some of those jumper designs in the shots henness posted were for these (henness might be able to let us know, I haven't seen the DVD so I'm not sure if it's clear or not)? I'd love to see some mock-ups for these.

Interesting that the "Courage" logo features an anchor.

Not sure as to whether the logos or the designs came first. Not sure. I know that the AFL said they wanted them to be different in their approach to the uniform, logo, mascot, colours ect. I think the general colours were selected early, and then the shades and tones and whatnot were tinkered with but not quite sure, DVD didn't really explain it.

There is one proudly displayed in the nsm muesum at the mcg looks awsome!!

At the NSM, the Guernsey looked at bit different from Mero's, the lines were spread out wider. Anyway, you can tell why Footscray didn't want to merge!
(P.S the one at the NSM was made by Sekem, were every guernsey made by Sekem in the '80's?)

Hey Guys,
Below is what I did for the North Fitz Merger earlier this year!

Here is my Attempt at the Merger Jumper,

HOME

Cheers!!

Haha! That's EXACTLY the same as what I posted today on page 2 in this thread... and it was completely my original idea (well not exactly, cause you did it earlier... but I didn't copy your idea, I didn't even know yours existed). Great minds must think alike ;)

Anyway, it is a bloody good design for the Fitzroy/North Melbourne merger jumper. Logical choice I think, and the fact that we both had the same idea is testament to how logical it is I reckon!

Anyway, good design :D

I uploaded the documentary to YouTube just then, so here is, the documentary that I was talking about on the foundation of Freo. Warning, it is typical 90's documentary so it is a bit "different" in some bits.

Part 1:
[YOUTUBE]CxmZU3Byozs[/YOUTUBE]

Part 2:
[YOUTUBE]2gR25DmM-2g[/YOUTUBE]

Part 3:
[YOUTUBE]V6MQ4EEk4D0[/YOUTUBE]

Part 4:
[YOUTUBE]0J5mcTSgUd8[/YOUTUBE]

Should I create a thread on the Freo board and post it there as well?

The bit with the jumper and logo design in it is in part 2 of the videos for those who are only interested in that aspect of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone here have the eagles Derbys 3 disc set if so would you be able to upload the eagles formation video

Might be an idea to further discuss these videos in the RCT. I know the Freo one has content about the original jumper but there's so much to discuss from them that the thread could get off topic.

Ive read a book called Urge to Merge by Ian and John Ridley. It is about the almost merger of Melbourne and Hawthorn in 1996 from the perspective of then Melbourne President, Ian Ridley.

In the early part of the book it explains a couple of the merger attempts that Melbourne encountered in 1986/87. These were North Melbourne, Richmond and Fitzroy. The Melbourne/Fitzroy merger got as far as deciding on a name, Melbourne Lions, who would be on the board and a jumper design.

Here's the jumper design that Ridley describes in the book, he says it looked like the current Brisbane Lions design (book was written in 2001)
1986melblionsmergercopy.png

and screw you guys that didnt
Heres mine from a while ago.

When Essendon were deciding on a clash/away guernsey, I'm pretty sure 2 were shown off, one being the current clash, and the other one, if my memory serves me correctly, was red with EFC, or Essendon written on it or something like that... did anyone on here see the 2nd option? Because I'd really like to know more about it, since I've only ever been told about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back