Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris25 might have a better understanding here, what are throughts on J Carr in SA Chris?

I would too.

He has had 4 years at North Adelaide.

2016 they finished 9th
2017 North finished 10th (bottom)
2018 they finished 4th on the ladder but won 4 games to win the flag.
2019 North finished 9th.

Now that North Adelaide side in 2017 finished bottom with 4 wins and 14 defeats. It was a tight ladder in that SANFL season. the team that got the last finals spot of 5th got 8 wins and 10 defeats which as centrals. Souths got 6th and glenelg got 7th on % both had 8 wins too.

North Adelaide did get bottom but lost a few games that season by 10-20 points.

North Adelaide In 2018 got 5th spot with 11 wins and 7 defeats. they beat 4 finals hardend sides to win the flag. Prior to the 2018 finals, Norths last finals appearence was in the 2013 GF vs Norwood. So north were had the least finals experience since 2014 compared to the other 4 sides that made it.

North beat my Souths side that made a prelim in 2014 and finals in 2016.
North then beat Sturt who won back to back flags in 2016 and 2017 in the semi finals
North then beat Woodville-west torrens, in the prelim. WWT, whos last flag was in 2011 and made the 2015 and 2016 Grand finals and lost both. ypu also had that controversial 19th man rule debacle too.

North then beat Norwood. Norwood were the premiership favourites and won a 3 peat in 2012, 2013 and 2014. Norwood still had a few players from that 3 peat flag era.

Once North Adelaide won the flag, they finished bottom 2. Scarily similar to West Adelaide Winning the flag in 2015 and finished bottom in 2016.

If you wondered why North Adelaide dropped off this season just like West Adelaide dropped in 2016, Its simple.

Both teams won the flag. The AFL pinches 4-6 of their players. A couple of kids, a couple of mature agers. Some players retire after the GF. Then a couple decide to play either country footy or amateurs the next season on more money than SANFL wages.

So both these teams enter the next season and have 5-8 premiership players gone from their 22. They then more than likely have to replace them with kids which doesnt bring the same results. Also injuries factor in as well.

So that explained why both Norths 2018 premiership side and wests 2015 flag side both finished bottom 2 the year after they won the flag.

I'm not clear on what people mean when they say Ross Lyon's coaching style is/was "old school" and incompatible with the "new game". What is it about the emerging new wave of coaches, eg. Goodwin, Teague, Shaw that is making a difference to their respective success?

I'm not clear on what people mean when they say Ross Lyon's coaching style is/was "old school" and incompatible with the "new game". What is it about the emerging new wave of coaches, eg. Goodwin, Teague, Shaw that is making a difference to their respective success?

The date that features on their Birth Certificates.

I would too.

He has had 4 years at North Adelaide.

2016 they finished 9th
2017 North finished 10th (bottom)
2018 they finished 4th on the ladder but won 4 games to win the flag.
2019 North finished 9th.

Now that North Adelaide side in 2017 finished bottom with 4 wins and 14 defeats. It was a tight ladder in that SANFL season. the team that got the last finals spot of 5th got 8 wins and 10 defeats which as centrals. Souths got 6th and glenelg got 7th on % both had 8 wins too.

North Adelaide did get bottom but lost a few games that season by 10-20 points.

North Adelaide In 2018 got 5th spot with 11 wins and 7 defeats. they beat 4 finals hardend sides to win the flag. Prior to the 2018 finals, Norths last finals appearence was in the 2013 GF vs Norwood. So north were had the least finals experience since 2014 compared to the other 4 sides that made it.

North beat my Souths side that made a prelim in 2014 and finals in 2016.
North then beat Sturt who won back to back flags in 2016 and 2017 in the semi finals
North then beat Woodville-west torrens, in the prelim. WWT, whos last flag was in 2011 and made the 2015 and 2016 Grand finals and lost both. ypu also had that controversial 19th man rule debacle too.

North then beat Norwood. Norwood were the premiership favourites and won a 3 peat in 2012, 2013 and 2014. Norwood still had a few players from that 3 peat flag era.

Once North Adelaide won the flag, they finished bottom 2. Scarily similar to West Adelaide Winning the flag in 2015 and finished bottom in 2016.

If you wondered why North Adelaide dropped off this season just like West Adelaide dropped in 2016, Its simple.

Both teams won the flag. The AFL pinches 4-6 of their players. A couple of kids, a couple of mature agers. Some players retire after the GF. Then a couple decide to play either country footy or amateurs the next season on more money than SANFL wages.

So both these teams enter the next season and have 5-8 premiership players gone from their 22. They then more than likely have to replace them with kids which doesnt bring the same results. Also injuries factor in as well.

So that explained why both Norths 2018 premiership side and wests 2015 flag side both finished bottom 2 the year after they won the flag.

Didn’t they (North) spend most of the season on top in 2018?

It’s also worth noting that North have been the whipping boys for years before Josh took over.

People need to realize the club isn't playing the same identity politics recruitment strategy many posters on here are playing.

It was Identity politics that got Lyon removed in the first place. And all we can do ourselves is speculate on identity and external perceived quality of candidates because we have nothing else to work with. Only time will tell.

Man management. Player rotation. Mindfulness training. Inclusiveness. Global warming awareness 😝

I wouldn’t say Goodwin should be in your list either.

Man People management. Player rotation Rights. Mindfulness training. Inclusiveness. Global warming and Hamstring awareness 😝

Fixed for you.

The players also need to be reminded that all supporters are important and their desires need to be included, including those that don't want you to succeed (like Eagles supporters, Brad Hardie etc.). They also need to remember that they are not more important than the women players, and that women players are to be favoured as it is important to favour women players so that they get a chance to overtake them as the most watched sportspeople so that the pay inequity of the past 100 years in VFL is rectified. Also players without a gender need to be recognized, ad they need to understand that the idea of gender in football is a problem that needs to be stamped out. Also, that it is fine for them to cry not only if they lose the grand-final, but just any time they want or feel they need to, because ultimately they all have systemic mental health problems that need to be named and that need to be recognized that they stem from their unconscious bias towards particular gender-stereotypes, sexuality and just because they play football.

The new senior coach will probably want to have a bit of a say in who the assistants are
You'd think so, but the longer the process goes to appoint a new coach the harder that will be.

We had glaring inadequacies in forwards structures, goal kicking accuracy and skills training that a drovers dog could identify. So making a couple of assistant coaching changes now to address this next year and not the year after should be made by Bell.

They are happy to make delisting changes that don't have to be made before the drafting deadline, before which a coach will be appointed.

At the end of the day, there is not one single AFL journalist who knows who we're interested in, not one person who knows who we're interviewing, and not one single person who knows the potential candidates. They know absolutely nothing. None of them know a thing. And not one person knows whether we've re-signed assistants or not. All will be revealed at the announcement, until then, the only people who know are the people doing the search. All these media flogs can do is speculate.

10 years experience assistant coaching, at three clubs and across every line. Level 4 completed years ago. Experience with finals and grand finals. He's already more experienced and prepared than most first time coaches. It's a smart move to not rush in as most don't get a second shot if you don't succeed in the first few years but still if not now when?

TBH if Longmuir did pull out saying he wasn't ready (which seems to be rubbish) I'd be more worried about what that says about Fremantle than Longmuir.
Level 4 complete last year, not years ago.

Coaching career: Fremantle development coach (2010); West Coast development coach (2011); West Coast forwards coach (2012-2016); West Coast senior assistant coach (2017); Collingwood defensive and backline coach (2018-2019).

Had experience with finals but no grand final wins. I'm not sure he has had enough experience and would need excellent assistants around him or be coach in waiting to a mentor?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaching career: Fremantle development coach (2010); West Coast development coach (2011); West Coast forwards coach (2012-2016); West Coast senior assistant coach (2017); Collingwood defensive and backline coach (2018-2019).

Had experience with finals but no grand final wins. I'm not sure he has had enough experience and would need excellent assistants around him or be coach in waiting to a mentor?

That’s what worries me about him. We need someone successful to bring some success to our club.

As MadMundy pointed out, I as well as everyone else on here has no idea whether Justin Leppitsch is interested in being a head coach again or even if he is, whether he could do it better this time, but he’s had 3 premierships as an AFL player and one as an assistant coach. Could get another on Saturday. He knows what it takes and what doesn’t work. Three years at the Tigers and very hands on and involved in their turnaround from 2016 to 2017.

There is no better CV from the current assistants in the AFL. Will be even better if the Tigers win on Saturday but even just the experience of another GF will be beneficial.

That’s what worries me about him. We need someone successful to bring some success to our club.

As MadMundy pointed out, I as well as everyone else on here has no idea whether Justin Leppitsch is interested in being a head coach again or even if he is, whether he could do it better this time, but he’s had 3 premierships as an AFL player and one as an assistant coach. Could get another on Saturday. He knows what it takes and what doesn’t work. Three years at the Tigers and very hands on and involved in their turnaround from 2016 to 2017.

There is no better CV from the current assistants in the AFL. Will be even better if the Tigers win on Saturday but even just the experience of another GF will be beneficial.

Alastair Clarkson had never been involved in a premiership before joining the Hawks (had been with St Kilda to a Grand Final I think?).

Thanks for the correction I honestly thought it was longer ago than that.

That still means he's been involved in two finals campaigns right to the grand final even if neither were premierships (Eagles 2015 Forward Coach, Pies 2018 Defensive and Backline Coach). 2013 and 2014 were the only years he wasn't involved in finals.\

It's all about how Longmuir feels but if he has the confidence to put his name in the ring I'm happy enough for the club to give him his chance.

Man management. Player rotation. Mindfulness training. Inclusiveness. Global warming awareness 😝

To be honest, I couldn't think of enough examples but am of the understanding that Goodwin falls under the coaching accreditation scheme criteria. He's an exemption to pre requisite of 'successful new wave coach', so actually he should definitely be on the list for argument's sake.

Hmmm, beyond the rhetoric, I'm genuinely interested what the accreditation really means.

I was of the firm belief we were on the right track this year, the changes needed were elsewhere etc. But hey, onwards and upwards and here's hoping Longmuir is locked in asap!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back