Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s what worries me about him. We need someone successful to bring some success to our club.

As MadMundy pointed out, I as well as everyone else on here has no idea whether Justin Leppitsch is interested in being a head coach again or even if he is, whether he could do it better this time, but he’s had 3 premierships as an AFL player and one as an assistant coach. Could get another on Saturday. He knows what it takes and what doesn’t work. Three years at the Tigers and very hands on and involved in their turnaround from 2016 to 2017.

There is no better CV from the current assistants in the AFL. Will be even better if the Tigers win on Saturday but even just the experience of another GF will be beneficial.
Someone has mentioned Scott Burns a couple of times and he has a wide spread of clubs and expereince, but he might only be going for the Adelaide job.

He was an assistant coach of the West Coast Eagles from 2008 to 2013. On 8 October 2013, after missing out on the West Coast Eagles head coach job to Adam Simpson he accepted an offer to return to Collingwood as an assistant coach under head coach Nathan Buckley. After four years as Collingwood's midfield coach, Burns accepted an assistant coach position at Hawthorn.

Justin Leppach

Sacked after three seasons at Lions and 6 years as assistant at Lions and Richmond before that. Went back to Richmond as assistant in 2018/19.

Hardly a ringing endorsement. Not mentioned at all in "Next off the bench" coaches in waiting.

Alastair Clarkson had never been involved in a premiership before joining the Hawks (had been with St Kilda to a Grand Final I think?).

Won a SANFL flag from memory. Not much I know but more than JLo and he’s (Clarkson) a special case and we can’t take chances with finding a special case. We need to play the percentages and bring in a successful person which we’ve never really had before.

Someone has mentioned Scott Burns a couple of times and he has a wide spread of clubs and expereince, but he might only be going for the Adelaide job.

He was an assistant coach of the West Coast Eagles from 2008 to 2013. On 8 October 2013, after missing out on the West Coast Eagles head coach job to Adam Simpson he accepted an offer to return to Collingwood as an assistant coach under head coach Nathan Buckley. After four years as Collingwood's midfield coach, Burns accepted an assistant coach position at Hawthorn.

Justin Leppach

Sacked after three seasons at Lions and 6 years as assistant at Lions and Richmond before that. Went back to Richmond as assistant in 2018/19.

Hardly a ringing endorsement. Not mentioned at all in "Next off the bench" coaches in waiting.

As I said, best CV of any other assistant. Richmond had no hesitation in getting him back when they were in the process of turning their club around which with the help of Justin, they’ve done. That’s a ringing endorsement if ever I’ve seen one.

As I said, best CV of any other assistant. Richmond had no hesitation in getting him back when they were in the process of turning their club around which with the help of Justin, they’ve done. That’s a ringing endorsement if ever I’ve seen one.
No it's not the best CV. He had three years and failed miserably and is OK as an assistant at a club with competence and experience with every coach.

He wasn't mentioned as being in the top 30 of next coaches in waiting. Even Sumich got an outside mention:thumbsdown:

I would be pretty disappointed if we appointed Leppitsch as the next head coach. His record at Brisbane and the player disharmony during that period are both equally alarming. Might be a better assistant coach where he can focus on one area and group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it's not the best CV. He had three years and failed miserably and is OK as an assistant at a club with competence and experience with every coach.

He wasn't mentioned as being in the top 30 of next coaches in waiting. Even Sumich got an outside mention:thumbsdown:

Who was doing the mentioning?

He failed at Brisbane after Voss has absolutely ****ed the list, the sponsors, the supporters, the culture. He also wasn’t ready. Thrown to the wolves. He would’ve learnt a lot from his 3 years at the Tigers.

Name an assistant who has a better CV.

Yeah Justin Leppach is a very left field choice. Don't know much about him but his experience doesn't scream a high percentage selection.

I would be pretty disappointed if we appointed Leppitsch as the next head coach. His record at Brisbane and the player disharmony during that period are both equally alarming. Might be a better assistant coach where he can focus on one area and group.

Pretty sure the disharmony etc was started when crazy Vossy ripped the squad apart by trading long respected players to bring in Fev.
From my perspective, he tried his guts out to get them back on track but he wasn’t ready for that level of challenge. He failed yes, but the circumstances were terribly against him and I’m certain he’s learnt from the experience.
You have t ask why, when the Tigers sacked all their assistants and went all out to get the best they could to replace them, they went straight to Leppa. And, it worked. It’s been a roaring success with the new assistants and Balme. What knowledge would he have accumulated from the last 6 years.

Who was doing the mentioning?

He failed at Brisbane after Voss has absolutely f’ed the list, the sponsors, the supporters, the culture. He also wasn’t ready. Thrown to the wolves. He would’ve learnt a lot from his 3 years at the Tigers.

Name an assistant who has a better CV.

I'd prefer Voss to Leppitsch and I really think you have badly misread both their times as coach at Brisbane. Voss lead them to finals in their first year with an average list at best and jumped the gun, making inexperienced mistakes in the hopes of expediting success. In the end he had them back to being not too far off the finals again before being sacked, a decision that caused serious disharmony amongst the players and was part of the decision for a few of the go-home 5 to leave.

Leppitsch was a bit more stern and inflexible with his methods (a frequent criticsm of Ross Lyon) and struggled to break out of the bottom 4 with a gutted list offering no real light at the end of the tunnel. There were a few Lions fans upset with the Voss sacking as, whilst it had been telegraphed, a few felt he was getting back on track. Leppitsch not so much.

Pretty sure the disharmony etc was started when crazy Vossy ripped the squad apart by trading long respected players to bring in Fev.
From my perspective, he tried his guts out to get them back on track but he wasn’t ready for that level of challenge. He failed yes, but the circumstances were terribly against him and I’m certain he’s learnt from the experience.
You have t ask why, when the Tigers sacked all their assistants and went all out to get the best they could to replace them, they went straight to Leppa. And, it worked. It’s been a roaring success with the new assistants and Balme. What knowledge would he have accumulated from the last 6 years.

That is a TERRIBLE summary of their Brisbane tenures

I'd prefer Voss to Leppitsch and I really think you have badly misread both their times as coach at Brisbane. Voss lead them to finals in their first year with an average list at best and jumped the gun, making inexperienced mistakes in the hopes of expediting success. In the end he had them back to being not too far off the finals again before being sacked, a decision that caused serious disharmony amongst the players and was part of the decision for a few of the go-home 5 to leave.

Leppitsch was a bit more stern and inflexible with his methods (a frequent criticsm of Ross Lyon) and struggled to break out of the bottom 4 with a gutted list offering no real light at the end of the tunnel. There were a few Lions fans upset with the Voss sacking as, whilst it had been telegraphed, a few felt he was getting back on track. Leppitsch not so much.

What Voss done since though? His coaching ability has never shone through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back