Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A premiership by 2025? I think WC have more of a chance of that happening than us. He needs to pack his bags, he is clueless and uninspiring.
The dockers board at the end of 2021 to have multiple top 4 finishes and a flag by 2025. Very Ambitious if it was the dockers mens side. If you added the docker ladies side too, that would be more realistic.

Mind you, the dockers ladies side would of and should of won a flag in 2020.

Who knows, we might have some of those players back in our 2012-15 finals era in Coaching or developing positions Like Matt De Boer, Tendai Mzungu or Clancee Pearce working in some capacity.
Wouldn’t mind Matt De Boer in the coaches box he was a great on field leader.

Just on Josh Carr for a moment.

Everyone's pumping his tyres right now but I swear, when he was here, people were shitting on him regularly for his midfield coaching. Am I misremembering this or what? Didn't most of us want him gone?
well I dont know.

I do live in SA.

I Heard many views on Michael Voss as an assistant coach. He was there at Port from 2015-21. This was after Ports finals stint of 2013-4.

Yes a few players got All Australian when Voss was at Port like Wingard, Boak, Gray, Wines and Dixon.

Also, Michael Voss was hired at the end of 2014 to Replace Phil Walsh. Port didnt play finals in 2015 when Phil Walsh left Port to Become crows coach in 2015.

As for Josh Carr, He was an assistant coach at Port after he retired as a player at the end of 2010. he was a coach from 2011-15. He goes on to coach North Adelaide in the SANFL from 2016-19.

His North Adelaide side was lucky to win the 2018 flag from 4th or 5th spot that year too. He joined back to us at the end of 2019 until 2021.

Turnover rates from yesterday

Johnson 44.4%
Jackson 40%
Hughes 36.3%
Aish 31.5%
Switkowski 30.7%
Erasmus 29.4%
Ryan 25.7%
Serong 25%
Young 24%
Clark 23%
Schultz 22%
Henry 20%

A total of 62 turnovers from those players. Absolutely staggering numbers.

A mix of experienced and younger players, with most of those consolidated best 22 players.

This is well beyond the execution of individuals and now well and truly on the coaching staff for such an overwhelming failure. We're well and truly positioned to finish bottom four now.

Anyone calling for Josh Carr to step in would be just dumb. Heard that bloke talk? Couldn’t obey a lockdown. He’s an immature as they come.

Proven AFL coach please who demands and is inspiring.

No more Freo boys club.

Club needs to be ruthless in the chase of Hardwick.

The players are confused and lack inspiration from JL.

At yesterday's first center bounce, the ball hit the deck and 3 of our players stood around it watching, none going to get the ball. This screamed of confusion in the sense that the players didnt know their role. Who was to be inside collecting the ball and who was to be the receiver.

How we start the game has been a horrible issue since last year - i'm not talking about the score at the end of Q1 either, i'm talking about our lack of effort to start games. Some 1st quarters we have won have still had a lack of effort for the first 10-15min. Good teams dont have these periods where you're asleep at the wheel. Again this is a coaching issue.

Selecting Worner yesterday - great to give the kid a debut, but an undersized HB/Wing, against a bigger bodied team - this was a poor selection, this was playing us into the GWS game again where we were monstered by bigger/stronger bodies.

I dont like to just pot shot coaches, but we're not learning from mistakes, and there's 12 months of symptoms now to show we're on the downward slide.

We have to be very careful here that our talented youth dont look to leave the club for better opportunities. Sounds like Henry is on that train - i dont even rate him but we put so much effort into development then let them walk - ie Tucker and Logue last year.

Last edited:
No because Johnson was worst on ground and his mistakes were piling up. Johnson had an absolutely terrible game and was struggling to mentally move on from his errors. The 50m penalty was poor and he's making a habit of losing his cool when things aren't working for him.

He's got incredible potential and I love watching him play when he's on, but he was absolutely terrible today.
MJ lost his bundle after the 50m penalty in the third. That was the straw that broke camels back. The incident where bloody Walker kicked straight to his opposition player but then MJ thought he’d try and hold the player up instead tapped the ball out. Potentially Walker was in the gun just milliseconds before MJ’s undisciplined act. He was also quite unaccountable. There were times when Carlton midfield players came back on the ground (from bench) that he was nearest to pick-up and just didn’t bother.

Yes he was unlucky with that non-50 where Walsh came in and tackled him as he was about to kick. The club should seek an explanation for that - but he should have had more awareness. He fumbled a lot he didn’t take first options and I had no issue with the sub move. There were prob 15 others in line but just an absolute mare for MJ.

We had 6 seasoned players leave the club last year and 1 good assistant coach.

We replaced two of the 6 with seasoned players (Jackson - Lobb, JOM - Mundy). Tucker replaced by younger players but none of the following replaced - Acres, Logue and Meek. All three have been critical losses also coupled with loss of form from likes of NOD and Brodie. The entire backline has lost form. Ryan has had a decent season but his long bombs after ignoring shorter options are s*#ting me to tears. APearce bad choice for captain and he is clearly struggling with injury. I agree with everyone about our lack of strategy for kick ins. Has been a problem since round one.

The loss of Meek for example a massive loss when you go back to Darcy injury. We run with LJ and JT as rucks. We get well beaten in clearances and to make matters worse LJ gets injured and hasn’t been the same since. Meek coming in to replace Darcy would have kept our structure.

No. 1 issue was seeing Josh Carr go (for good or bad) but not replacing him with anyone. Just promoting an inexperienced assistant. We need an experienced assistant to lead our midfield. I’d be giving Longmuir 2024 to rectify this mess. Changes need to start now with the onfield personnel and some more promising footy.

Keep pumping games into Worner, Erasmus and MJ. Might hurt in the short term but you can see some signs like Erasmus’ last quarter against Carlton was much improved.

MJ lost his bundle after the 50m penalty in the third. That was the straw that broke camels back. The incident where bloody Walker kicked straight to his opposition player but then MJ thought he’d try and hold the player up instead tapped the ball out. Potentially Walker was in the gun just milliseconds before MJ’s undisciplined act. He was also quite unaccountable. There were times when Carlton midfield players came back on the ground (from bench) that he was nearest to pick-up and just didn’t bother.

Yes he was unlucky with that non-50 where Walsh came in and tackled him as he was about to kick. The club should seek an explanation for that - but he should have had more awareness. He fumbled a lot he didn’t take first options and I had no issue with the sub move. There were prob 15 others in line but just an absolute mare for MJ.

We had 6 seasoned players leave the club last year and 1 good assistant coach.

We replaced two of the 6 with seasoned players (Jackson - Lobb, JOM - Mundy). Tucker replaced by younger players but none of the following replaced - Acres, Logue and Meek. All three have been critical losses also coupled with loss of form from likes of NOD and Brodie. The entire backline has lost form. Ryan has had a decent season but his long bombs after ignoring shorter options are s*#ting me to tears. APearce bad choice for captain and he is clearly struggling with injury. I agree with everyone about our lack of strategy for kick ins. Has been a problem since round one.

The loss of Meek for example a massive loss when you go back to Darcy injury. We run with LJ and JT as rucks. We get well beaten in clearances and to make matters worse LJ gets injured and hasn’t been the same since. Meek coming in to replace Darcy would have kept our structure.

No. 1 issue was seeing Josh Carr go (for good or bad) but not replacing him with anyone. Just promoting an inexperienced assistant. We need an experienced assistant to lead our midfield. I’d be giving Longmuir 2024 to rectify this mess. Changes need to start now with the onfield personnel and some more promising footy.

Keep pumping games into Worner, Erasmus and MJ. Might hurt in the short term but you can see some signs like Erasmus’ last quarter against Carlton was much improved.
Joel Corey is experienced. Had seven years of coaching before coming to us. Was dogs midfield coach and had a role in their premiership.

The issue was not experience, but more so not bringing in an external voice and view of things. Even Corey was replaced by freo boy Brady Grey.

Hardwick at this point of his career with Richmond was just as bad. I fully believe that the reason they were so good was because of McRae.
Cool story bro , McRae was actually VFL coach 2017-2019 did very well for a r/up and flag then joined senior coaching group in 2020

What ever decision club take whether to retain JL or get another one, we are not going win anything even top 8 let alone flag, if we donot have good assistants. Chris scott for us 2010, kirk for us 2013 to 2015, carr for 2022, mcrae, Kingsley for richmond etc. When these assistants left the very next season the respective team drop down

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problem is we are never going to get/keep the genuine good assistants when there is a senior coach who is near the bottom rung of senior coaches, and we are also a club which is amongst the bottom handful in terms of prestige. We are still a non-entity and laughing stock to most of the Victorian football community. The best up and coming coaches will seek out and get opportunities at marquee clubs and under master coaches. Coaches also often have families, and uprooting from the east coast is undesirable for many. We are left with the dregs of mostly ex-WA folk. If we do pluck a good assistant coach, they will leave as soon as possible to progress their career elsewhere.

Would it be worth going after Nathan Buckley for an assistant coaching gig? Would he even go for it? He and Longmuir seem to have a good relationship.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would it be worth going after Nathan Buckley for an assistant coaching gig? Would he even go for it? He and Longmuir seem to have a good relationship.

Buckley is an alpha male, there is absolutely no way he would even consider coaching under anybody else, let alone a minnow like Longmuir. Doesn't matter whether he likes/respects him or not.

I’m just going off what was said multiple times on this board. I don’t know their history
Just for clarity he was in the senior coaching group for 1 of our flags in 2020, rest of his time he was VFL coach , would be a fair clutch to attribute our success to him , he certainly played his part
Dimma would be an outstanding choice for your club his ability to unite a playing group like no other , check RFC player retention in his time , Pyke is not in the same league and under his watch the fabric of the AFC club was shredded

The game was as bad as any we've seen so no surprise.
Yeah, it was bad, and this season has been disappointing, but not overly surprising.

Yesterday was a classic display of a young team being flustered, over-awed and physically dominated.

There's obviously things we need to work on, but some of the takes in here are are emotional garbage.

It's not the vent thread.

I guess I shouldn't criticise without giving some suggestions, so here's the first three things I would do moving forward:

• Don't sack JL. Successful clubs don't reactively sack coaches. They stick with them and support them with great assistants, and that's what I'd do. Find one senior guy who can be there in support. Not sure who, but someone in the Chocco, Leppitsch, Buckley, Pyke mould.

• Tweak our on-field setup. We have the talent, of that I'm convinced. But, we do get monstered in the middle too often and guys such as Brayshaw, Serong etc aren't going to get a lot bigger, even when at their peak. Whether this means Young in the middle, Brodie coming back in or looking at another option in the off season, I'm not sure. But, we can't continue to be beaten in the same way, we must change things up. Getting beaten by what you know is way worse than getting beaten by what you don't. The second option indicates an appetite for risk and it's something we must embrace...this lead me to...

• The game plan must embrace more risk. More short kicks. More forward handballs. More play on. This style plays to our strengths and allows players like Freddy, Switta, Jackson, Amiss and even someone like Sturt to better use their strengths. Our continual long kicking yesterday, was counter intuitive as it played into Carlton's strengths and away from ours. Unfortunately our list profile is going to have days when they get flustered and lose composure, that happened against Carlton.

Yeah, it was bad, and this season has been disappointing, but not overly surprising.

Yesterday was a classic display of a young team being flustered, over-awed and physically dominated.

There's obviously things we need to work on, but some of the takes in here are are emotional garbage.

It is naive to blame everything on the coach and naive to blame everything on the "young team". But jeez, the coach isn't making a good argument for himself.

You can lose but you have to at least be competitive, yesterday was a disgrace against ordinary opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back