Draft Watcher Knightmare 2020 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey mate, we have an Adelaide club focus thread here https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/adelaide-what-should-they-do-with-their-picks.1222624/ on the Trade & FA board, this is exactly the type if stuff that can contribute there
Or post it on the Adelaide board? A couple of great threads there.

I don't really bother with that thread on the T & FA board. It always seems to be visited by flogs from other clubs that want to crap on whatever team is being discussed.

Or post it on the Adelaide board? A couple of great threads there.

I don't really bother with that thread on the T & FA board. It always seems to be visited by flogs from other clubs that want to crap on whatever team is being discussed.
Yeah sure that's an option, I just assumed the fact that this was posted on a Draft/ Trade board meant they wanted some other supporter views

Yeah sure that's an option, I just assumed the fact that this was posted on a Draft/ Trade board meant they wanted some other supporter views
Yep, fair enough.

I brought up bailey Laurie because l was interested in this years small forwards.

Last year we had Pickett and Weightman taken in the first round. Are there any small forwards in this years draft that might be worth a first round pick?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn't feel like Pickett or Weightman should have gone in the first round last year frankly, and Weightman I still feel was picked way too early, though Pickett is looking at this stage at least justifiable, without being my preferred guy there if picking, with others having in my view greater scope to improve.

I'm not seeing any inside the first round this year, unless you count Braeden Campbell (Syd Academy - though he's a combo mid/fwd) and 180cm rather than sub 180. Gulden (Syd Acad) may also go first round but for me is more a second.

A few such as Laurie, Durdin and Western (Freo) I see from the second round coming into the mix. With others coming into the conversation later.

Peter wright had the acceleration of a tugboat. Don’t think he could successfully play on many forwards.

I don't agree at all. Wright's fast for 2m+. He has the speed to create separation on the lead, in fact, he's over-reliant on being quicker than opposition defenders and having that separation to take marks. His downfall is 1v1 he doesn't take marks, with any body contact and he's dropping the mark. Wright either needs to become a key defender or a tall wing because he can't handle key defenders 1v1 for marks as a forward.

For a key defender I'm also not seeing speed as being a requirement by position. Is Jeremy McGovern fast? Was Brian Lake? They're the two best key defenders I've seen. If I can have any two key defenders from 2000 onwards, they're the two I'm starting a team with being intercept marking beasts who stop opponents from kicking any high balls in, and they're also taking advantage 1v1 for intercept marks in those contests which is so valuable and rare.

After this year's draft KM, will you go to the tapes (to use a TV cliche) and work out your 2021 pecking order?

I might do a top-10 for my YouTube, but at this stage, I can't say my knowledge is all that strong on the 2021 prospects where I can get all that comprehensive. I'm sure there would be plenty I'd miss/be unaware of just due to that lack of exposure. Be it due to no VIC games, no NEAFL and no u18 champs making it harder to see those interstaters also.

Next year it will be a lot of learning from basic at the start of the year to do any kind of meaningful in depth analysis.

I don't agree at all. Wright's fast for 2m+. He has the speed to create separation on the lead, in fact, he's over-reliant on being quicker than opposition defenders and having that separation to take marks. His downfall is 1v1 he doesn't take marks, with any body contact and he's dropping the mark. Wright either needs to become a key defender or a tall wing because he can't handle key defenders 1v1 for marks as a forward.

For a key defender I'm also not seeing speed as being a requirement by position. Is Jeremy McGovern fast? Was Brian Lake? They're the two best key defenders I've seen. If I can have any two key defenders from 2000 onwards, they're the two I'm starting a team with being intercept marking beasts who stop opponents from kicking any high balls in, and they're also taking advantage 1v1 for intercept marks in those contests which is so valuable and rare.
Speed and acceleration are very different things.
Peter has worse acceleration and change of direction than many ruckman. He is a workhorse who gets separation by outworking his opponent.

Don't really understand the point of providing players who are excellent marks as exemplars of the role that Peter Wright could play down back...because he can't mark up forward.

Speed and acceleration are very different things.
Peter has worse acceleration and change of direction than many ruckman. He is a workhorse who gets separation by outworking his opponent.

Don't really understand the point of providing players who are excellent marks as exemplars of the role that Peter Wright could play down back...because he can't mark up forward.

The point in bringing up McGovern and Lake is you don't have to be fast to play in defence. It's a nice to have, but not a must have.

Wright as you say doesn't have the scope to play like McGovern or Lake and that's not my suggestion. Wright doesn't have the 1v1 marking. His value more-so would be that he has the height/size/physical profile/speed/endurance to get stops and if he has the ball, being such a long and capable kick he can generate drive out of there.

Would Wright make it as a key defender or be any better than he is as a forward? Maybe. Maybe not. Preferring marking key defenders, I'd be more inclined to try Wright on the wing at the moment as at least he's not dealing with a key defender then and has additional space and freedom to operate.

He's someone at this stage where he's trying to find a position he can play to a high enough standard to be seen as a long term piece.

There's nothing wrong with Wright having a good speed/endurance combination. Not everyone has great acceleration or agility, nor do they require it.

Where would Maurice Rioli Junior be in your rankings?

Hi Knightmare,

Assuming we lose to Geelong this week, and end up with a pick around 14. Also assuming that the McInnes bid come afterwards.

Who do you think will be the best key forward prospects possibly available at that pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where would Maurice Rioli Junior be in your rankings?

Rioli is one I've had to search online for some match footage of and in watching a few of his games he's won me over, as I'd noticed little of him last year.

My next power rankings are in December, and I'll have to consider whether I include him inside my top-20. He could be just in or just out. He'd be inside my top-30 now for sure.

Watching his forward pressure, tackling, those second, third, fourth efforts. He also looks great with ball in hand, just has that instinctive feel and makes opponents look silly with how quick his mind to body connection is and how he moves with ball in hand and creates time and space for himself so effortlessly. He can win his own ball and is excellent at ground level. He's a talent and for mine a little better than Daniel Rioli. If recruiters have been paying attention, a bid in the first round is justifiable, and if not, with how highly clubs rate small forwards these days it would be a shock not to see a bid come for him in the second round.

Caleb Poulter whats stopping him from being spoken about higher mate?

No League experience. Needs to work harder defensively, keep building his endurance, work on his short kicking, calls about his agility I agree on. His game isn't as refined or advanced as the better prospects in this draft, and he's someone if you draft where you're banking on will develop past them.

Hi Knightmare i was wondering what 195cm plus key defenders there might be available late in the draft from late second round onwards. I reckon Port will go after one in the draft to replace Grundy.

The two Essendon NGA boys in Brand and Eyre should go late.

Jackson Callow if he slides is one I'd recommend, though 194cm (but very strong already at 96kg).

Jack Johnston maybe from the GC Academy if they don't want him. He's 195cm, 95kg. Again, strong lad who is physically very advanced.

I'd advise Port Adelaide to trade for someone or take someone as a free agent. Maybe it's a Jake Carlisle or Majak Daw (DFA) for a couple of top of mind who won't cost much. Whereas for someone younger a Lewis Young is another alternative to consider.

Hi Knightmare,

Assuming we lose to Geelong this week, and end up with a pick around 14. Also assuming that the McInnes bid come afterwards.

Who do you think will be the best key forward prospects possibly available at that pick?

Outside the top-5 I wouldn't be advocating any particular key forwards. JUH, McDonald and Thilthorpe are all amazing. Beyond that, Jackson Callow I like, but he's a second round onward. Kaine Baldwin I also don't mind, if you excuse the injuries, but he's someone more suitable for selection later. Some will throw Nik Cox's name up, and he's another who could well go before the Pies pick, but he's someone I wouldn't be able to justify, certainly inside the top-15, as someone who has shown more glimpses than performance.

I'd personally advise Collingwood trade for a key forward. Maybe it's a Josh Jenkins who Geelong have no need to retain, and he's been a 2 goal, 2 mark i50 and 1.5 goal per game key forward for a long time, so he's someone I feel strongly gets a bad wrap, and unfairly so. Another alternative is Callum Coleman-Jones if Richmond don't see him in their future, and he's someone I'd look at as a favourable alternative to Darcy Cameron as a relieving ruckman who plays mostly forward. I'm not convinced key forward is a need that requires much coin to fill, if talent ID is good.

Assuming Collingwood retain that first round pick, and a bid for Reef comes after that, and that's no certainty, so I'd be tempted to move it, I'd be taking best available, and I'd assume that's a midfielder, and around that pick that may be a Finlay Macrae. I'd take Callow or Baldwin if they slide late, but if not, I'd be more-so inclined to target a crumbing forward/general forward with the pick, with value being around that point and Collingwood needing more able forwards beyond just key targets.

I see a lot of Embley in Hollands
First time I saw Hollands. He reminded me of a younger Luke Hodge. Both are similar size with a cm different. Both have kicking penetration in their leg and can find the goals as well. Just not sure about his defensive abilities tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back