Lachie Hunter to take leave of absence

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mean to flog a dead horse, but Bevo's reaction to Tom Morris makes more sense if he knew that Lachie has been going through some stuff.

Anyway sorry for bringing that back up.
Lachie obviously had issues that saw him miss some footy two years back and he and his wife have had some well documented fertility issues too.

I have no doubt there’s been a bit going on in the background this time, and that journos like Morris probably at least have the gist of it.

Doesn’t justify Bevo’s explosion but anyone looking for cheap mileage over a team selection ‘scoop’ knowing there’s more going on deserves some scorn.

Reckon the person in question was asked the question about hunter and they corroborated it immediately with a screenshot, in confidence.

The journo better “be willing to cop it from the boys on this one”

It could be not someone in the club at all but someone friends/related to someone in the club doing the leaks. Like they're getting the information and leaking it without knowledge of the person within the club like their phone got hacked. It might explain why they haven't found who is doing it.

Noting that the message chain screenshot was sent at 4pm.

Was there really a leak or any reporting of this news prior to the clubs statement which was released ≈ 6pm?

A quick google indicates that all on-line reporting post-dates the clubs statement.

I cant speak for the cess pool of humanity that is twitter. It may've been firsted there. Dunno.

Something stinks at the kennel. I have never, in all my life, known an organisation to have more members taking long mental health breaks. Boyd, Jong, Cloke, Baz etc
This must be the eighth time or more that Hunter has taken a long break for either disciplinary reasons or personal reasons. Then you throw in the weird handlebars moustache and it paints a bit of a picture that things aren't right behind the scenes.

Something stinks at the kennel. I have never, in all my life, known an organisation to have more members taking long mental health breaks. Boyd, Jong, Cloke, Baz etc
This must be the eighth time or more that Hunter has taken a long break for either disciplinary reasons or personal reasons. Then you throw in the weird handlebars moustache and it paints a bit of a picture that things aren't right behind the scenes.
I appreciate where you're coming from, but it's important to remember that Baz was away due to family-related issues. Clokes issues he had whilst he was at Collingwood. Jong was one of the most persistent footballers in our clubs history but was constantly hammered with injuries - which would be enough to ruin anyone and Boyd I think we can all agree was above being a footballer.

It's understandable that you can draw them in and say they've all had mental health issues but it's disrespectful at the same time. They're completely different. Every club has them.

This must be the eighth time or more that Hunter has taken a long break for either disciplinary reasons or personal reasons. Then you throw in the weird handlebars moustache and it paints a bit of a picture that things aren't right behind the sc
I appreciate the sentiment here about thinking about culture at the Club.

Another perspective however could be this: that rather than pretend that a players injury is a physical one, maybe mental health and well-being is being taken seriously. 25 per cent of the population TJ at are diagnosed experience a mental health injury. Why would footy players be exempt from that experience. In fact they are probably more likely to have pronounced risks given the age, media, digital world we live in now. I still think it is a good thing to ask questions about culture but time off for mental health should be as ordinary as time off for physical health.

I don’t know what the story is here around the confidentiality of information. But if there is leaking or just the oversharing and therefore disrespectful spreading or breaching of confidences - then that should be pursued but it’s not the end of world. Not great. But perspective is important here.

Unfortunately, mental health is at epidemic levels, particularly young people. I've suffered from it, friends have, and many work colleagues have. So it doesn't surprise me that one of our players, as well as many others from other clubs suffer the blues. Get well soon Hinter, because we need you and we want you.

Stupid post. Not everyone in an organisation is going to share their mental health issues. So for all the ones you hear about, there are so many more that you don't hear about it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The issue is that a player (or someone in that message) is leaking confidential club information to a 3rd party.
Yeah, look I just don't see this instance as a concern at all. It's a WhatsApp message, if it was really confidential then I doubt that would have been the forum it was conveyed. And the content of the message was exactly what the club has said publicly, so it's a bit meh to me.

Once upon a time footballers never admitted to anxiety, depression, or personal issues. They were expected to “man up”, not be a wuss, or keep it away from the club. To cope, they’d gamble, or drink, or see their relationships and careers crumble. At least now blokes are encouraged to take better care of themselves and receive better support.
All the best, Lachie.

McNichol, West, McComb, Scott .. they have their moments but they not like the Premiership Kelpie - Lachie Hunter .. and will unlikely ever will be .. class

McNichol, West, McComb, Scott .. they have their moments but they not like the Premiership Kelpie - Lachie Hunter .. and will unlikely ever will be .. class

How about you post in the thread below, instead of creating multiple new ones again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back