• Yes

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Next year is his last chance and must win the flag

Votes: 36 37.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure the list management and medical teams have helped him a great deal. Their young depth looks shallow from the 14/15 drafts, and the 2016/17 crop have spent a fair bit of time on the sidelines. They rely way too much on Kelly, and it sounds like the cap is being squeezed again meaning that one of Shiel and Lobb will go. How they came into this season with the worst ruck team in the league needs to be scrutinised as well.

Should think he'll get the boot if they don't make it to the GF next season. Its harsh, but six years with that list is plenty of time.

I'm not sure the list management and medical teams have helped him a great deal. Their young depth looks shallow from the 14/15 drafts, and the 2016/17 crop have spent a fair bit of time on the sidelines. They rely way too much on Kelly, and it sounds like the cap is being squeezed again meaning that one of Shiel and Lobb will go. How they came into this season with the worst ruck team in the league needs to be scrutinised as well.

Should think he'll get the boot if they don't make it to the GF next season. Its harsh, but six years with that list is plenty of time.
The draftees from 2016/2017 are Zac Langdon, Sam Taylor, Brent Daniel's, and Aiden Bonar, with the latter being the only first round pick. Do some research and come back to me with some details maybe? My view is they've all done very well.

As for players leaving, no-one has left and I reject as absurd the notion it's rational to draw conclusions from the assumption anyone will.

We did not come into the season with the worst ruck team in the AFL or anything like it.

We did have issues with injuries that particularly hurt our outside run this year. Sadly that's life.

Leon will coach at least until his contract expires at the end of 2020, but he has the feel of a decade long coach to me.

The draftees from 2016/2017 are Zac Langdon, Sam Taylor, Brent Daniel's, and Aiden Bonar, with the latter being the only first round pick. Do some research and come back to me with some details maybe? My view is they've all done very well.

As for players leaving, no-one has left and I reject as absurd the notion it's rational to draw conclusions from the assumption anyone will.

We did not come into the season with the worst ruck team in the AFL or anything like it.

We did have issues with injuries that particularly hurt our outside run this year. Sadly that's life.

Leon will coach at least until his contract expires at the end of 2020, but he has the feel of a decade long coach to me.
Fair enough - looking down the list of draftees I can see that more of them are playing than I'd initially given credit. Obviously Hopper not developing as quickly as he'd initially signalled and Kennedy leaving has hurt, but HH has come good in a big way.

Its not an assumption as much as reading the room. I understand why a Giants fan would be frustrated by chatter of guys leaving, given its been spoken about forever and rarely happens, but all the media and inside info seems to be that the cap is in a bit of strife and a player will probably have to go.

Jacobs, Martin, Kreuzer, Grundy, Sandilands, Witts, McEvoy, Gawn, Goldstein, Ryder, Nankervis, Sinclair and Naitanui are all better rucks than Lobb and Simpson. The two Essendon boys are probably equitable. The Dogs and Saints probably weaker, but in reality neither team is a contender and the Dogs got a lot of gametime into a quality young ruckman as a bonus. For the Giants to not replace Mumford adequately seems like a mistake.

Injuries don't have to be life, hence where the medical team comes into it. It can't be a coincidence that the same clubs have injuries over and over, and others don't. GWS and GC have been hit hard by injuries for years at a time now, are the facilities not good enough? I know there are some injuries like Scully's that can't be helped, but there are plenty of repeat soft tissue injuries that can be.

Look, I think Leon will eventually wring a flag out of this list, but I think its capable of so much more and really shouldn't have fallen over so meekly this season. As a fan of another club whose window is from now onwards, I don't particularly fear LC. The gap between your best and worst is too large.

Fair enough - looking down the list of draftees I can see that more of them are playing than I'd initially given credit. Obviously Hopper not developing as quickly as he'd initially signalled and Kennedy leaving has hurt, but HH has come good in a big way.

Its not an assumption as much as reading the room. I understand why a Giants fan would be frustrated by chatter of guys leaving, given its been spoken about forever and rarely happens, but all the media and inside info seems to be that the cap is in a bit of strife and a player will probably have to go.

Jacobs, Martin, Kreuzer, Grundy, Sandilands, Witts, McEvoy, Gawn, Goldstein, Ryder, Nankervis, Sinclair and Naitanui are all better rucks than Lobb and Simpson. The two Essendon boys are probably equitable. The Dogs and Saints probably weaker, but in reality neither team is a contender and the Dogs got a lot of gametime into a quality young ruckman as a bonus. For the Giants to not replace Mumford adequately seems like a mistake.

Injuries don't have to be life, hence where the medical team comes into it. It can't be a coincidence that the same clubs have injuries over and over, and others don't. GWS and GC have been hit hard by injuries for years at a time now, are the facilities not good enough? I know there are some injuries like Scully's that can't be helped, but there are plenty of repeat soft tissue injuries that can be.

Look, I think Leon will eventually wring a flag out of this list, but I think its capable of so much more and really shouldn't have fallen over so meekly this season. As a fan of another club whose window is from now onwards, I don't particularly fear LC. The gap between your best and worst is too large.
Kennedy, sadly, wasn't offerred a contract. We chose Hopper with limited spots and money available, clearly.

Lobb is a good ruck, who started the year without an off season, resting groun soreness and had other setbacks. He finished the year well and was clearly our best ruck in 2017.

What you fear is a matter for you, given your lack if knowledge of our situation it's meaningless. If I were you I'd be a but worried about the increasing expectation around the Demons. If you fall short this year then there'll be a lot if optimism in the off season, but nothing is guaranteed. There will always be 17 other clubs scheming to bring you down, and the maths makes it difficult.

Give them a break this year. They had an injury list the size of the Titanic and yet probably still would have made the GF had Josh Kelly been fit.

I'll say this though GWS would want to make a GF next year or the year after though.

This year there were valid excuses.

Give them a break this year. They had an injury list the size of the Titanic and yet probably still would have made the GF had Josh Kelly been fit.

I'll say this though GWS would want to make a GF next year or the year after though.

This year there were valid excuses.
No club or coach is in a position of having to make the GF though. It'll certainly be the aim next year, who knows what it will bring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No club or coach is in a position of having to make the GF though. It'll certainly be the aim next year, who knows what it will bring.

He'd want to with the players at his disposal though. Not saying he has to win the thing, but making a prelim next year should be the minimum for GWS. Making a GF a good year, a premiership an excellent year.

I like watching you guys and even though I follow Sydney, I do go to a lot of your games (closer to home)

He'd want to with the players at his disposal though. Not saying he has to win the thing, but making a prelim next year should be the minimum for GWS. Making a GF a good year, a premiership an excellent year.

I like watching you guys and even though I follow Sydney, I do go to a lot of your games (closer to home)
I get you're not a hater, I just disagree with people setting that kind of expectation. The Mexican nuffies do it all the time, just to justify criticism if we dont win the flag.

We aren't the team of 2016 anymore and wont be again. Our cap and list size is normalized and our NEAFL team is no longer a scary unit. That is what was meant to happen, and in a way I'm glad it has. Watching talent like Steele, WHE and Matt Kennedy walk was painful.

It's time peoples expectations caught up.

I get you're not a hater, I just disagree with people setting that kind of expectation. The Mexican nuffies do it all the time, just to justify criticism if we dont win the flag.

We aren't the team of 2016 anymore and wont be again. Our cap and list size is normalized and our NEAFL team is no longer a scary unit. That is what was meant to happen, and in a way I'm glad it has. Watching talent like Steele, WHE and Matt Kennedy walk was painful.

It's time peoples expectations caught up.

He'd still want to make the big dance (GF) because at the end of the day it is a results based business. Only so often a club will resist the temptation to sack a coach for not delivering. You might disagree that is okay, but the club is there to win. You don't get prizes for 6th.

The 2016 and especially 2017 were the big misses, and unfortunately against like 2018 you blokes copped it deluxe through injuries in 2017. Now is that a training thing or is it just bad luck. I refuse to believe constant endless injuries are just bad luck. Are you drafting the right players to avoid injuries? I don't know.

Surely you can get a year where you aren't smashed from A to Z with injuries.

The positives this year has been it has fastened the growth of players like Langdon, Tarranto, Himmelberg, etc

He'd still want to make the big dance (GF) because at the end of the day it is a results based business. Only so often a club will resist the temptation to sack a coach for not delivering. You might disagree that is okay, but the club is there to win. You don't get prizes for 6th.

The 2016 and especially 2017 were the big misses, and unfortunately against like 2018 you blokes copped it deluxe through injuries in 2017. Now is that a training thing or is it just bad luck. I refuse to believe constant endless injuries are just bad luck. Are you drafting the right players to avoid injuries? I don't know.

Surely you can get a year where you aren't smashed from A to Z with injuries.

The positives this year has been it has fastened the growth of players like Langdon, Tarranto, Himmelberg, etc
We want to win the flag, of course. I think it's doable if things go well. Our list core age is around 25 as well which is close to optimum. We haven't even had trade week or the draft yet though.

Leon isn't under pressure if we dont though. Except maybe if there's an extremely unlikely implosion in the football administration. I struggle to imagine us not playing finals again, but anything's possible. If we didn't then a new contract beyond 2020 without a significant improvement in the last year looks a bit unlikely.

We want to win the flag, of course. I think it's doable if things go well. Our list core age is around 25 as well which is close to optimum. We haven't even had trade week or the draft yet though.

Leon isn't under pressure if we dont though. Except maybe if there's an extremely unlikely implosion in the football administration. I struggle to imagine us not playing finals again, but anything's possible. If we didn't then a new contract beyond 2020 without a significant improvement in the last year might do it.

Fair enough, and don't think I'm hating on your club. In fact I can't wait for the day where we get a derby GF. Was so hoping it happened in 2016.

Amazing how much people like sticking the boots in. Has it always been this way?
Every time a team gets knocked out, the big foots get started.

One team wins. The rest are either s**t, or brave. This is the moron's view on big footy.

Tigers- winners in 2017/ ?

Demons- s**t in 2017 to brave/?
Lions- brave
Kangaroos- s**t in 2017 to brave
magpies- s**t in 2017 to brave/?

Eagles- s**t in 2017 to brave/?

Giants- s**t
cats- s**t
Hawks- s**t
Blues- s**t
Suns- s**t
Swans- s**t
saints- s**t
power- s**t
crows- s**t
dockers- s**t
bombers- s**t, then brave
bulldogs- s**t

Anyone disagree with the s**t versus brave breakdown above?

Last edited:
Amazing how much people like sticking the boots in. Has it always been this way?
Every time a team gets knocked out, the big foots get started.

One team wins. The rest are either s**t, or brave. This is the moron's view on big footy.

Tigers- winners in 2017/ ?

Demons- s**t in 2017 to brave/?
Lions- brave
Kangaroos- s**t in 2017 to brave
magpies- s**t in 2017 to brave/?

Eagles- s**t in 2017 to brave/?

Giants- s**t
cats- s**t
Hawks- s**t
Blues- s**t
Suns- s**t
Swans- s**t
saints- s**t
power- s**t
crows- s**t
dockers- s**t
bombers- s**t, then brave
bulldogs- s**t

Anyone disagree with the s**t versus brave breakdown above?
It's the BF way. Cats Swans and Hawks have copped it. No club would take any notice, so it really diesn't matter. Says a lot about the brave supporters of clubs that couldn't make finals though. :pSome even pretend it's a good thing

Big footy wanted to get rid of Hardwick and Buckley in years past.

Now Chris Scott, Longmire and Cameron.

Who else? Richardson? Hinkley? Lyon?

Pick and stick.

Its a shame that the Giants fans at Spotless on Prelim final night two years ago did not have the same passion as their fans in this thread.

When Toby Greene and Rory Lobb kicked goals early in the last quarter there was only polite applause. Bit like a cricket match.

Bit off topic I know but thought I would put it out there.

Its a shame that the Giants fans at Spotless on Prelim final night two years ago did not have the same passion as their fans in this thread.

When Toby Greene and Rory Lobb kicked goals early in the last quarter there was only polite applause. Bit like a cricket match.

Bit off topic I know but thought I would put it out there.
It's a shame you haven't played finals since, and I cant imagine you doing so for quite a while yet.

Back