• No

Votes: 38 39.2%
  • Next year is his last chance and must win the flag

Votes: 36 37.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible coaching performance against the pies their structures looked poor

What does this mean???

Libba (father) returned from a knee injury, back in the day, when Cameron used to play for the bulldogs. Libba wasn’t fully match fit, but still had a run and a dig. Just having Libba on the bench was enough to get bulldogs over the line that day. IMU Terry Wallace had to only point at Libba on the bench and that was enough to get them over the line.

Cameron coaching from the bench is him recreating this inspiring Terry Wallace move. It was a genius move.

I think they can afford to lose one of their premium mids over the next 2 seasons and still be a top 4 threat.

Would give Cameron one more season but they have to atleast make the Prelim, no more excuses!

Wouldn't want to look back and think, if only they had the right coach while the list was still good.

What about Adam Tomlinson? How can one player escape so much scrutiny for so many years? Been best 22 for seven years and still can’t defend the worst forwards in the competition, and is completely incompetent at any other role on a footy field. I do and always have believed that he is absolute garbage and a serious liability for his team.

Libba (father) returned from a knee injury, back in the day, when Cameron used to play for the bulldogs. Libba wasn’t fully match fit, but still had a run and a dig. Just having Libba on the bench was enough to get bulldogs over the line that day. IMU Terry Wallace had to only point at Libba on the bench and that was enough to get them over the line.

Cameron coaching from the bench is him recreating this inspiring Terry Wallace move. It was a genius move.
?

Let me paint the picture for you, In 1998 Libba gets a knee injury which would put lesser men out for three seasons of football. Within the same season, 4 months later, Libba returns to the game, his leg bandaged up like the Michelin man. It wasn’t just a tokenistic return as well, that tough son of a gun, gets on the field and plays part of the game.

Legend has it that then bulldogs coach Terry Wallace only had to point at the wounded Libba sitting on the bench for the dogs to be inspired to win. Who was playing for the bulldogs that day? Leon Cameron, current Giant coach.

Leon Cameron was wounded, four losses on the trot, he needed to go to the next level of coaching to turn his team’s season around. So he sat on the Giants bench, wounded, and inspired by this the Giants beat Adelaide in Adelaide and turned their season.

I think they can afford to lose one of their premium mids over the next 2 seasons and still be a top 4 threat.

Would give Cameron one more season but they have to atleast make the Prelim, no more excuses!

Wouldn't want to look back and think, if only they had the right coach while the list was still good.
Excuses? In what wierd fantasy of yours has he made excuses, or need to.

Let me paint the picture for you, In 1998 Libba gets a knee injury which would put lesser men out for three seasons of football. Within the same season, 4 months later, Libba returns to the game, his leg bandaged up like the Michelin man. It wasn’t just a tokenistic return as well, that tough son of a gun, gets on the field and plays part of the game.

Legend has it that then bulldogs coach Terry Wallace only had to point at the wounded Libba sitting on the bench for the dogs to be inspired to win. Who was playing for the bulldogs that day? Leon Cameron, current Giant coach.

Leon Cameron was wounded, four losses on the trot, he needed to go to the next level of coaching to turn his team’s season around. So he sat on the Giants bench, wounded, and inspired by this the Giants beat Adelaide in Adelaide and turned their season.
I don't know what to say.

2016 was the year that a better coach would have gotten them over the line. No injuries, older guns still at peak form and the kids were all mature enough to have a big impact. They had the Swans’ measure that year too. That was the flag that should have been for GWS.

He’s gotten better as a coach since then and deserves one more year to see if he can pull it off with a better injury run than he had this year.

If they don’t make a GF next year I think he’s Max Gawn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Giant's 2014 draft is an interesting sliding doors moment for the club.

Pick #4 - Jarrod Pickett (gone to Carlton after 2016, still listed)
Pick #6 - Caleb Marchbank (gone to Carlton after 2016, still listed)
Pick #7 - Paul Ahern (gone to North after 2016, still listed).

Only their 4th years and all three got regular gametime towards the tail end of the season (Ahern fairing best), so might still turn into reasonable players. Jury is still out on Pickett, but Marchbank looks best-22 and Ahern has played well at North. Still, 'spudding' up those high selections and trading them on cheaply after only 2 years might have hurt their contention to date.

I understand list management at the Giants is a complex endeavour with some surplus to requirements, but if they had nailed that draft their 2016-18 might have been even better.

Still, two straight prelims and a SF is a fair effort for a fledgling club, worthy of some acknowledgment.

The Giant's 2014 draft is an interesting sliding doors moment for the club.

Pick #4 - Jarrod Pickett (gone to Carlton after 2016, still listed)
Pick #6 - Caleb Marchbank (gone to Carlton after 2016, still listed)
Pick #7 - Paul Ahern (gone to North after 2016, still listed).

Only their 4th years and all three got regular gametime towards the tail end of the season (Ahern fairing best), so might still turn into reasonable players. Jury is still out on Pickett, but Marchbank looks best-22 and Ahern has played well at North. Still, spudding up those high selections and trading them on cheaply after only 2 years might have hurt their contention to date.

I understand list management at the Giants is a complex endeavour with some surplus to requirements, but if they had nailed that draft their 2016-18 might have been even better.

Still, two straight prelims and a SF is a fair effort for a fledgling club, worthy of some acknowledgment.

Imagine if another club had these picks and stuffed them up. Would set them back 5 years.

I dunno, I get they're loaded with talent, but is two prelims and one semi in 3 years a bad result? If a team doesn't win a flag does it make the coach a failure? No matter the talent a gf is never guaranteed. Having said that I really don't know if another coach could get more out of the list this year with injuries etc.

They defend poorly, they gave Collingwood far too much space. They need their defensive structures sorting out and should possibly look to play with a more defensive structure. They do have injuries but still I'm not sure that they don't apply elite pressure or do a great job at blocking up the oppositions space. Just need to get that balance right.

What was his form like in the VFL.?..Was he ever putting real pressure on Goldstein for his spot this year.When people assess Preuss are they thinking more in a few years time?

Had a very good year in the VFL - had 70 hit outs several times. Goldstein had a good year so hard to play 2 ruckmen, Preuss is a ready made AFL ruckman.

A lot of top sides are built with very good pressure/effort players and they are players who generally aren't high draft picks.

You put a heap of talented good footballers in a side and you get a lot of guys who are good at getting the ball and good with ball in hand but you might lack those players who apply pressure and defend and play with effort. Geelong have the same problem I feel.

Some guys make it on talent, some guys make it on effort and Champions do both. I think perhaps they have a lot of players who are making it on talent and perhaps they lack those real genuine pressure players.

In saying that I thought they left their defence very open and were a bit forward running. Teams have shown during the year that Collingwood can be troubled if you close down the space, apply the pressure and defend. They didn't do that, I think a defensive game plan and forced defence will suite GWS.

What about Adam Tomlinson? How can one player escape so much scrutiny for so many years? Been best 22 for seven years and still can’t defend the worst forwards in the competition, and is completely incompetent at any other role on a footy field. I do and always have believed that he is absolute garbage and a serious liability for his team.

It’s an interesting point. He’s not highly skilled or anything, but can play on a wing if required. In defence though he looks lost.

Just no clear position where he can excel at. IIRC he played forward as a junior, but I could be wrong.

I think both Collingwood and Carlton are breathing a sigh of relief he never left.

It’s an interesting point. He’s not highly skilled or anything, but can play on a wing if required. In defence though he looks lost.

Just no clear position where he can excel at. IIRC he played forward as a junior, but I could be wrong.

I think both Collingwood and Carlton are breathing a sigh of relief he never left.

Our board still brings his name up in the trade thread. It boggles the mind.

Is it his versatility that is holding him back, different role game to game, every 10 minutes even. Select a role & leave him there.

Back