Lesser-regarded players who seemed to have a big impact on a winning team

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
Ashley Hansen wasn't an elite KPF by any means but he meant a lot to the 2005-2007 WCE teams. At 198cm and 94 kgs, Ash had the size and mobility to be a strong leading threat at the CHF position. He helped to straighten up our woeful forward line, providing structure and allowing us to take better advantage of our all-time midfield. He wasn't the biggest of goal-kickers, but because of our team's deficiencies, he made a measurable impact beyond his abilities.

2005: 11.9 disposals per game (8.2 kicks; 3.8 handballs), 5.7 marks per game, 1.2 goals per game
2006: 11.5 disposals per game (8.9 kicks; 2.6 handballs), 7.2 marks per game, 1.2 goals per game
2007: 12.6 disposals per game (7.6 kicks; 5.0 handballs), 6.9 marks per game, 1.6 goals per game

We were 30-4 (88.2%) over 2005 and 2006 with him in the lineup, including several high-stakes finals games. Including our interrupted 2007 season, that number goes up to 40-8 (83.3%).

1587516508246-png.862587

From the same era for the Swans I'd nominate Lewis Roberts Thompson. Had a pretty ungainly style (A bit like Dustin Fletcher) that made people underestimate him but he was definitely effective. Played an absolute blinder in the '05 premiership win.

Grant Birchall for us. Phenomenal player easily as important as anyone else on that team.

Even further back, Chris Mew.

Current team, hard to say given how little regard there seems to be for our list. Moore and Scrimshaw.

Kane Lambert for us. Only played 135 games but was crucial to all 3 flags. Played the high half forward role/cover for Dusty perfectly. If he was only the list of a poor side I doubt he plays 50 games.

Liam Shiels was pretty much a guaranteed 7/10 performance week in week out during our 3peat era.

Would block and make space for the likes of Lewis, Mitchell, Hodge and Burgoyne and smash the opposition with some hard but fair tackles. Did a mountain of defensive running all day. Reliable with ball in hand.

In our current team it's Connor Nash. Very similar defensive minded midfielder like Shiels. In 2013 we won 50% of our games when he had 25+ disposals and I believe we lost every game when he had <25 disposals. Has become a real barometer for our side.

always thought dylan grimes did not get the love he deserved for his role during richmonds premiership years.

Blake Caracella

When you need a steadier or one to put them away ..he always delivered

From the same era for the Swans I'd nominate Lewis Roberts Thompson. Had a pretty ungainly style (A bit like Dustin Fletcher) that made people underestimate him but he was definitely effective. Played an absolute blinder in the '05 premiership win.
Sydney fans will really talk up any old thing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back