Let's get serious about rivalries.

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised Crows V Eagles is not a bigger rivalry. Both original teams from Perth and Adelaide and the biggest clubs in the AFL.

Nah, unless we're playing each other we're bros:

* First club in their respective states
* Both have bogan rival clubs who were created to siphon supporters from the successful big brother
* Have a history of sharing coaches/ assistant coaches

We Fly As One

I’d go with these as true AFL Rivalries between clubs and fans

Carlton v Collingwood is the biggest
Fremantle v West Coast
Adelaide v Port Adelaide
Geelong v Hawthorn
Carlton v Essendon
Essendon v Hawthorn
Collingwood v Melbourne
Carlton v Richmond
Collingwood v Richmond

The thing about Rivalry is the absolute hatred you have for one particular team, if Osama Bin Laden had a first 18 I would hope they beat Port

in the above Carlton Richmond Collingwood have numbers of rivals which is what probably makes Adelaide Port West Coast Freo a rivalry like no other I couldn't care who was playing Port I hope they win, the hatred is so great, but unlike the West Coast freo one, most Adelaide supporters came from SANFL clubs and we hated port, they obviously hate Adelaide for what happened at inception

Carlton and Collingwood was a great 60s/70s/80s VFL era rivalry but it has severely waned since the turn of the century. You hear the VFL era commentators try to talk it up and Eddie is desperate to revive it (as it gets his club even more spotlight), but yeah it has waned. It could be great again, but really needs Carlton to get out of the doldrums.

Every single season they should be played twice. No exceptions.

Rubbish. It is a competition with 18 teams in, followed up by a mini competition for the best teams.

Rivalries can get heated, which means that players are likely to be injured - or suspended for other games. It stuffs up the following game(s) if there are players unavailable due to a rivalry match getting extreme.

Good spectacle for that game for the audience, bad for the teams season.

Here's one for Hawks fans: who do you think is the bigger rival? Geelong or Essendon

Both started in the '80s: with Essendon it was the three GF's in a row (especially 1984 and I think a fight in 1985). For Geelong it was the Neville Bruns/Leigh Matthews/Mark Jackson incident in 1985, followed by the 1989 GF where we played the man rather than the ball and a good chunk of players from both teams ended up in hospital

Both cooled down slightly throughout the '90s but ignited in the 2000's: Essendon and the 'Line in the Sand Match' and the game where Matthew Lloyd cleaned up Brad Sewell, and with the Cats it was the '08 GF, the Kennett Curse, and a string of competitive matches right up to this years Easter Monday match with the booing Ablett scandal

Not sure whether I'm biased or not but I'd say Geelong. Lots more incidents and it's been sustained much longer

Kevin Sheedy accusing Allan Jeans of giving his plays Cocaine!!

Here's one for Hawks fans: who do you think is the bigger rival? Geelong or Essendon

Both started in the '80s: with Essendon it was the three GF's in a row (especially 1984 and I think a fight in 1985). For Geelong it was the Neville Bruns/Leigh Matthews/Mark Jackson incident in 1985, followed by the 1989 GF where we played the man rather than the ball and a good chunk of players from both teams ended up in hospital

Both cooled down slightly throughout the '90s but ignited in the 2000's: Essendon and the 'Line in the Sand Match' and the game where Matthew Lloyd cleaned up Brad Sewell, and with the Cats it was the '08 GF, the Kennett Curse, and a string of competitive matches right up to this years Easter Monday match with the booing Ablett scandal

Not sure whether I'm biased or not but I'd say Geelong. Lots more incidents and it's been sustained much longer
I think for Hawks fans it's definitely the Bombers. The Geelong thing is more the Cats being pissed at the lack of respect. It's changed around a bit recently but there genuinely was a feeling that teams like the Cats weren't a threat when it mattered, which pissed them off. The Bombers got smashed in 83 and then demanded respect by finding real mongrel from the second half of the 84 GF and the 85 GF.

Adelaide vs Port is bigger than Collingwood Carlton.

One engulfs a city, the other engulfs a section of a city with apathy from most other parts.
Mate--- Melbourne's supporter base hasn't been along geographical lines in over 30 years.

Collingwood supporters definitely don't live in Collingwood anymore :p

If you think that Collingwood V Carlton or Collingwood Vs Richmond or any combination of the Big 4 only "engulfs a section of the city" you either need to return to the 1980's or learn a bit more about the culture of AFL.

He's not talking about geography. He's saying 2 of 10 can't be 2 of 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Showdown and the Western Derby both seem pretty manufactured rivalries wouldn't say either are on the level of the big Victorian rivalries

While this crap remains, the "draw"/fixture will continue to be an abomination. Piss it off and have a rolling draw. Some years this will mean teams will play only once. So be it.
Have the non-Vic teams play each other twice, as a travel mitigation factor. But other than that, anything that adds transparency to the fixture (other than fixed conferences).
I'd be more than happy if the rest of the double-ups were done via a random draw. Having eight teams kake finals more than makes up for the fixture inequities anyway. Usually there are only three realistically in the running (the Bulldogs flag is the outlier). If you're good enough to win the thing, and surely that's what finals are about, even with a hard draw you'll finish top four.

The Showdown and the Western Derby both seem pretty manufactured rivalries wouldn't say either are on the level of the big Victorian rivalries
Derby seems a bit manufactured and shallow.

Showdown is just as big as the Victorian rivalries. From memory, it stems from the SANFL where everyone hated Port. Port's application for a licence was rejected and Adelaide was made. All the Port haters jumped on Adelaide.

I hate peel, rockingham, mandurah, cockburn, basically anything south of Success until you get to Bunbury in WA all because of the dockers.

Trade unions, fremantle as a city, labor, the docks all just by association as well.

(I do however love the fact that Perth has a suburb named success, its the suburb next to cockburn and while so close the dockers can't ever reach it)

Derby seems a bit manufactured and shallow.

Showdown is just as big as the Victorian rivalries. From memory, it stems from the SANFL where everyone hated Port. Port's application for a licence was rejected and Adelaide was made. All the Port haters jumped on Adelaide.

There is a clear hatred in the showdown for sure, add to that quite a high number of close games. The derby has always been talked down by the coaches over the years, Worsfold in particular always played it down and never really embraced it.
The Derby also has had very few close games which has not helped it. There is certainly a dislike of each club by its fans but unless the clubs themselves play it up which both WA clubs don’t seem to do it remains a pretty stagnant rivalry.

Yet you probably think Richmond/Essendon and Collingwood/Essendon aren’t manufactured.

Crows and port is full on besides the screw job the sanfl (crows) did on ports entry at the start of the 90s
All supporters I know from both sides get similar enjoyment from there own success as they do from the others failures there rabid

When we played Port a few weeks back, their fans were pretty clear about how they still loved Richmond for beating Adelaide in the GF.

Well both do have at least more history to them than either the Showdown or Derby
The Anzac Day and dream time games (aka the only reason those clubs are thought of as “rivals”) don’t have more history to them than the derby or showdown actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back